Celebration Concert 7th November 2004

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by nickjones, Oct 22, 2004.

1. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Beaumaris Band in a celebration concert to mark the 75th Birthday of Welsh Composer Mervyn Burtch and to present new and rarely heard music.
    Guest soloists will be :
    Harvey Davies - Piano
    Peryn Clement Evans ( Ensemble Cymru ) - Clarinet
    Sunday 7th November 2004
    at the Neuadd PJ Hall Bangor University

program to include :
    Vivat Regina - William Mathias
    Panache for Brass Band ( North Wales Premiere performance )
    All the Flowers of the Mountain...Michael Ball ( North Wales 1st concert performance )
    Concerto for Piano and Brass Band - Mervyn Burtch

Tickets available on the door
    £6.00 concession £3.00

this is a great oppertunity to hear scores which have not had a performance in over 10 years.
    Beaumaris Band would like to acknowledge the support and help of the Welsh Amateur Music Federation.

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Looks a good concert, Nick & hope you get a good turnout. I remember coming across "Vivat Regina" on one of the first tapes I bought when I resumed my interest in banding - Black Dyke's "Triple Champions". It's good to see it being performed again.

3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Thanks Peter
    It's a great chance to hear underperformed scores like Panache and the Piano Concerto also will give the audience to hear the London test piece in another great hall like the PJ Hall in Bangor , and to hear artists like Harvey and Peryn.

4. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

Should be a good night Jonesy lad! Look forward to share a stage with Harvey Davies!

5. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Yes Gwyn it will be a great concert , something new and old.
    I don't think there has been a performance of the Piano Concerto since 1992 at the National Youth Brass Band of Wales 10th Anniversary concert , it is a great score with some fantastic sounds for Piano and Band.

6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Just some more information regarding this Sundays concert
    the Band will be conducted by Preston Born Composer / Conductor Bill Connor who lives in Anglesey. who was for 6 years composer in residence at Granada TV.
    Bill works with the band on a regular basis and has written a number of works for the Band .
    Other works for Band by Bill Connor :

Piano concerto ( 1990 ) for Kathryn Stott and the Sellers Band for a radio 3 broadcast
    The Telling ( based on the Mabinogion ) 1997 for Beaumaris Band performance at the Beaumaris Festival
    Concerto for 4 Hands and Brass Band ( 2001 ) Llandudno Arts Festival for Beaumaris Band ,Helen and Harvey Davies.