Celeb "Charity" Songs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Jan 27, 2010.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I don't know whether I'm just being bitter "hard up" person here, but something about all these fund raising singles (the upcoming Haiti song being a prime example) has always stuck in my throat.
    It seems to me that the money raising is still left to those people who don't actually have much of it...me and you, whereas the celebs and pop icons that do them (usually loaded with more money than they know what to do with) give up a few hours of their time for free, get a shed load of fantastic kudos and free publicity doing a really humanitarian thing, and it costs them "virtually" nothing to do.

Wouldn't it be much bigger a guesture and a far better way of fund raising if any Celeb or pop star wanting to take part, rather than just being available, should have to buy in. Lets face it, they're loaded, all of them, so why not get them to buy in to it, swelling the coffers, potentially by far more than they get from sales to the public? For example they could make it a minimum £10k buy in, with much publicity for those giving more than that to be a part of it.

Thoughts anyone?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Celeb ``Charity'' Songs
    Haiti
    throat.It
    free publicity
    fund raising singles
  3. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Bob Geldoff. Did he really make his millions and millions out of playing for the boomtown rats?? I wouldn't have thought so. Feels a bit skint a few years ago and re-releases "feed the world". I think that should set him up financially for life now.

4. David Mann

David Mann Member

Surely the main thing is that money is raised for the victims. If it inflates some egos along the way, so be it. We don't know if the participants give money personally or not - if they went public with their donations they'd be criticised for that too.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  5. 2nd man down

THE most important thing is that the money gets to those that need it I fully agree, but I reckon if the public KNEW that these mega rich pop stars and celebs were making a financial commitment as well as just time (which in real terms costs them nothing when compared to the publicity they get from it) the public would be far more willing to chip in and buy the single.

What drove it home to me was listening to a radio thing about Cheryl Cole yesterday. She got loads of air time in this article, and they kept mentioning the fact that she was contributing her time to the Haiti single, and it just occurred to me that the amount of great publicity she was getting from it was immense..and on the face of it all she'd donated was a few hours of her time. If she is donating cash then great, but on the face of it the only cash raised is from the public pockets, not the mega rich who can better afford it.

6. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

My gripe is everyone must get paid before the money actually reaches the chairty. Recording studios, cost to produce CD's the singers expenses, admin fees, publicity fees etc has to be paid before money goes to the cause. Thats why sadly I don't trust national charities and where the money actually goes

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

For the most part - certainly for the Band Aid record all the studio fees as well as the artist fees were donated, and I believe the record itself was pressed for free too, so no money up front. To further the point Stella makes about Bob Geldoff - I'm sure he hasn't made a single penny directly from his work with Band Aid, but what it did do was launch his career from being a mediocre singer in a mediocre Irish Band to some sort of Saintly god-like status who had the ear of World leaders.

What really gets me is these records are almost all absolute crocks of steaming ****. Take a great record - You Got A Friend for instance - and rip the heart out of it with a bunch of second-rate warblers singing one line each, badly. Add some truely shocking, sugary-as-**** strings, give it more plastic surgery than Jordan in post-production and stick it out all in the name of a good cause. The original artist can hardy complain as it would make them look churlish. I'm sure this latest effort will be the same. 'Everybody Hurts' is a fantastic song, and has been one of my favourites since it first came out. The original is a beautiful, heart rending anti-suicide song that really doesn't deserve to be flattened by all 18 wheels of the Simon Cowell juggernaut in the name of 'charidy'.

Better to donate a fiver to Disasters Emergency Committee, then download the original REM track or watch the video on youtube to see what it should sound like.

8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Cowell's just sore he missed out on the christmas number 1 and has seen another bandwagon to hop onto.

As regards Geldof, yes he indirectly profited from the band aid record by the boost it gave his profile, but never took a penny off it - same as all the other artists, recording workers, mixing engineers etc.

However forget ye not, my friends, Geldof's face-to-face confrontation with Thatcher in an attempt to get her to send the VAT from the record to Ethiopia as well, and her assertion that he shouldn't be a "silly boy." The VAT went to the treasury in the end.

Spot the real villain of the piece....

9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I'm not convinced Mr Cowell is as cynical as a lot of people paint him.

10. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Oh, for heaven's sake! Read this, from the Times 18 October 2008 "Britain is to withhold future aid commitments to Ethiopia over concerns that its Government is obstructing efforts to help millions at risk of famine in the drought-stricken Somali region in the east of the country." The full article is here I'm sure the decision, by Gormless Gordo's government (?), to withhold £130 million in aid will have a greater effect than the refusal to hand over a few thousand.

Not all the sins of the World can be laid at Lady Thatcher's feet (only some of them :rolleyes:)

11. Thirteen Ball

Hmmm. I'm not a fan of Brown's governemnt either, but let us compare these two situations.

Brown withholds aid to Ethiopia (or Eitrea as it is now) in order to exercise political leverage because Ethiopia is threatening to let Somalis starve. (ie: we will only help you if you let us help them too - the modern equivalent of Gunboat Diplomacy.)

Thatcher withholds aid because she.... erm... well... for no reason at all other than because she could.... (And I'm pretty sure it was a few hundred thousand, not a few thousand.)

I'm not really seeing the parallels here.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Celeb ``Charity'' Songs
    Haiti
    throat.It
    free publicity
    fund raising singles
  13. dyl

dyl Active Member

And when they film the videos, why don't they give the artists headphones that fit, so they don't have to hold them with their hands?

;)

14. 2nd man down

Because they have to make it look as if they just walked in off the street to help out and no-one knew they were coming. :rolleyes:

15. WoodenFlugel

Now there's a thought - why don't they just get a bunch of random people off the street and record them? It might sound better than Mariah Carey.

16. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

....the ones that fit are too expensive and the broken ones cost too much to repair seeing as lots of the major studios have already gone... ;)

Plus if their arms are tired, maybe they'll go away at the end of the session :biggrin:

17. Thirteen Ball

I thought it was hilarious when sony paid her $80m not to sing for them any more.

I've been hoping they'll offer me the same deal.... I'll happily not sing for any recording company who doesn't want me if the price is right. ;)

18. WoodenFlugel

I'd gladly pay $90m for her never to 'sing' again. Doesn't matter that I can't afford $90m, I'd find a way. Maybe I could release a record to raise funds?

19. 2nd man down

Thank you!! At last someone that agrees with me!! The woman is dreadful!!! All that pretentious warbling up and down...and whats that raising and lowering her hand with the squeeky note all about?!?!!?

They day they stick her and Tina Turner on a deserted island together and sink it the better. :tongue:

20. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Having carried out a little bit more research, it appears that not only did Lady T do a U-turn and the VAT did get donated to Ethiopia, but in 1983/84 the UK donated £13 million in food aid to Ethiopia. So I suppose there's not much of a parallel here after all.

21. Might be slightly off-topic here, but whilst at the australian open, Roger Federer sat down with the LTA and suggested they do something to help the people of Haiti, and thanks to (not just) his efforts over $600,000 was raised in ONE DAY!
    I was amazed, not just at the amount, but the fact he can go back to his tax-free pad and feel a little better - although he could have donated his $2.8m winners cheque, but I'm just being picky.
    BTW, Federer's home town is called Bott*****n - made me chuckle insanely this morning!

Andy - working on his forehand strokes a little too enthusiastically

22. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

There seems to be a massive assumption that these people aren't donating any of their own money. That's a tad cynical. If they donate what they feel is reasonable, and encourage a few thousand other people to donate a bit as well, is that really a bad thing?