CD:'The Big Picture' (YBS)

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by neiltwist, Mar 27, 2003.

?

do all the pieces sound like they could be played in their respective films?

1. absolutely!

100.0%
  2. only in melody

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. only in style

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I've done farts that sounded better!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

as I'm not allowed to say anything bad, i'll just say that the playing is excellent, but what does everyone else think of the rest of it? it's not the fault of the band, but i've heard better arrangements and interpretations. soul bossa nova is supposed to be from austin powers, but I think it's more suited to austin flowers.

please tell me if this offends anyone.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Big Picture
    YBS
    better arrangements
    Big Picture
    soul bossa nova
  3. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I think the CD is excellent. You can't fault the playing (as you said!) and I like the arrangements. If a piece of music is arranged for a different ensemble it doesn't mean it has to exactly the same! Some of the arrangements on tha CD are really good (titanic, over the rainbow...)

I like it :roll:

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

I particularly like 'Reunion & Finale', and I agree about Titanic, but only up to the point of that bloody Celine Dion song!

5. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

To be honest, the only tracks I liked on this CD (fuzzy thinking - I only listened to it once) were the Braveheart and the final track - which I can't recall at the time being.

As for the others, well, the Bossa Nova didn;t do anything for me, I disliked the Cartoon yokie, I don't like the Harry Potter music to begin with, and I found most of the others a bit bland.
    As for the Lord of the Rings - this is great music, but I feel the arranger (nothing against him) has attempted to fit too much in here, and as a result, a lot of the menace was lost from the music. (My opinion) It could be that I've listened to the original score too much though.

Braveheart - excellent though - especially the middle movement.

6. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

but it should keep the spirit of the original! I agree with keppler on LOTR.

7. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Cheese on a stick!!! Quincy Jones (we are not worthy!!...) would turn in his grave - if he were dead (strike that - he'd probably still turn in his grave) I haven't heard the CD, so I'm not commenting on the playing, which I'm sure is excellent! - but I have played the arrangement very recently...

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've just relistened to The Big Picture to refresh my memory. I agree that Soul Bossa Nova doesn't work for me, but then it is not exactly my style of music anyway. Regarding the arrangements, I think the arranger is sometimes torn between whether to produce an arrangement or a transcription. As has already been said, what is intended for one medium doesn't always work so well in another, and so the arranger may need to add something original to make it into something worthwhile, but in doing that he is unlikely to please everyone.

Listening to the cd again reinforced my thoughts when first hearing it, in that it does not make for a very satisfactory programme to listen to. Although most of the individual items are more than acceptable, there is not a great deal in variety, and it seems as if the programme selection was based more on what music they were hoping to sell on the back of the recording rather than out of any aesthetic considerations.

I must disagree with Keppler about the Cartoon Classics, however, as I feel that works quite well, and I can imagine it getting good audience response at a concert. Despite my reservations regarding the programme I would still say that it is a recording well worth obtaining, but maybe not one to be listened to all in one go.

9. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I can't really vote since I don't own this recording - it's not really the sort of music I'd want to hear more than once or twice. But I 'guested' with YBS shortly after they made this recording and whilst I can understand your reservations about the content of the CD, I have to say that they are spectacular when performed live. Cartoon Classics went down very well with the audience and Austin Powers was spot on.

But isn't all music better live?

D

10. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Apologies, I didn't mean to make any point about the Cartoon Classics piece. I just didn't like it that's all..

11. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

so you have an idea if you don't have the cd, i've recorded a small sample from 'soul bossa nova', or austin powers, and the opening credits from austin powers 3: goldmember.

if clicking the link doesn't work, try right-clicking, then 'save target as...', or netscape 'save Link Target As...'

the YBS 'soul bossa nova' (7,242,780B/2.32MB)

austin powers 3:goldmember opening credits(only the important bits) (2,187,264B/2.33MB)

for broadband users

the full opening including the tom cruise(Austin)/gwyneth paltrow(Dixie Normous) thing (7,242,780B/6.90MB)

As Austin says, 'You've got to have mojo baby!'

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Big Picture
    YBS
    better arrangements
    Big Picture
    soul bossa nova
  13. Boneman

Boneman Member

Thanks Neiltwist,

I have just downloaded the 'soul bossa nova'. I thought it was fantastic. . .

However, you say
    This in fact very much reminds me of a song by 'The Dream Warriors' (circa 1991) called 'My definition (of a bombastic Jazz Style)' - The only difference is that in The Dream Warriors version there is some amazing Trumpet playing.

I have been inspired to get the CD!

14. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

please everyonecall me neil, that is my name, and why my username is thus, but bombastic jazz is quality!

as i said before, the style and playing are quality, but the arrangement isn't up to scratch, a shame because Duncan is a quality musician and guy.

15. Boneman

Boneman Member

I have the Soul Bossa Nova playing as I type, and I have to say from knowing the original well, and from the two minute snippett I have that it actually sounds like a good arrangement!

16. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

isn't lively enough with the wrong instrumentation etc.

maybe i'm looking for perfection...

17. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I bought this cd last week and after several listens to i have come to the following conclusions,

LOTR - summarises what in my opinion is a long and often repetitive score very well, i think that the shire theme transcribes well especially. the depth of some of the chords are fanastic

Hedwig/Harry Potter - Why are both these tracks on the cd. it seems a bit strange as hedwig theme is included in the selections medley anyway. both are executed well and arranged nicely though.

Braveheart - fantastic, film music at it best, rivals grimey's gladiator as my fave brass film piece.

Cartoon Symphony - Cheesey but works very well, a great crowd pleaser.

Titanic - sounds too similar to braveheart and lotr (it predates it i know). whilst the other two have individual distinctions, this doesn't really. might have worked better if not with these other works.

Soul Bossa Nova - A poor arrangement really, has no real depth in it.

Overall - A series of superbly executed performances, which are tarnished by a couple of poor arrangements/track choices. highly recommended but i preferred Grimethorpes Movie Brass.

18. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

19. blondie

blondie Member

I bought this CD a couple of months back, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it (the mix of pieces). I do only buy CD's for listenableness (new word invented) and very rarely criticise. There did appear to be a little something lacking throughout though, but hey, you can't please everyone. Surely these things that we have noticed could be something to do with the acoustics in the studio/hall/whatever????????? And I'm sure had you been at the recording then it would have sounded completly different!!!!!????

20. McChambo

McChambo Member

The arrangement of Soul Bossa Nova is excellent. In my opinion, there are 2 reasons why it may be thought of as poor:

1) YBS, despite the excellent quality, play it a bit too slow on this CD.
    2) It needs a visual stimulus. Listening to this is dull if you have no comical action to go with it, YEAH BABY!!

Other tracks are excellent though. In particluar, I like Braveheart, Gettysburg and both Harry Potter tracks. Great playing of great arrangements. Also the Flugel solo Over the Rainbow is fabulous.

Jim - Whitburn.

21. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Having heard the version on Imps in Concert, theirs seems to work a little better, nicely laid back and relaxed in style.

22. McChambo

McChambo Member

I haven't heard that one yet. I should listen to it really.

Is it a worthy purchase?