CD suggestions please!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by andyh, Nov 8, 2009.

1. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

I want to buy a brass CD for a Christmas present to someone who doesn't have a lot of brass music but does have, and loves, "Black Dyke Plays Verdi".

In other words they like "popular classical" brass - does anyone have any good suggestions for what CD I could get them?

Thanks!
    Andy

2. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

You can get a set of 4 Cds called 'brass band classics'

3. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Thanks,

But I think I know that one: 100 Brass Band Classics, yes? Not quite what I want.

I'm after classical music played by brass bands, like for instance "Black Dyke plays Verdi" opens with "Ballet Music from Macbeth"...

Cheers
    Andy

4. euphoria

euphoria Member

Slavonic Brass by Black Dyke has been around for some years now, but is still one of my favorite "classical" brass band CD´s

Track Listings

1. Overture/The Bartered Bride 2. Polovtsian Dances 3. Les Preludes 4. Slavonic Dance No 1 5. Andante/Symphony No 6 6. Finale/Symphony No 5 7. Capriccio Espagnol 8. Russalka's Song To The Moon 9. Process Of The Sirdar 10. Slavonic Dance No 8 11. Andantino And Finale/Symphony No 4 12. Baba Yaga And The Great Gate Of Kiev

Can be found at Amazon.com and probably a lot of other places.

It is not on Black Dykes own website as far as I can see but they have a lot of other classical CD´s http://www.blackdykeband.co.uk/shop/category/7/

Britannia Building Society (now Fodens) made a fantastic CD with Pictures from an Exhibition. I don´t know if is still available but its worth a try.

good luck with your christmas shopping

5. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Thanks, I'll check these out,

Andy

6. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Extremes by Wingates

7. sunshine

sunshine Member

You could try "Whatever it takes". Its a CD mainly of flugel solos as performed by Brighouse and Rastrick flugel player John Lee, accompanied by Boobs and Brass (All female brass band based in Northamptonshire).

It's not totally classical as it also features some older popular tunes, but it may be worth a look.
    I believe it will be out on sale at the end of November.

All the profits raised from the sale of the CD goes to the breast cancer campaign to help fund research to find a cure for breast cancer.

Sunshine
    1st Baritone - Boobs and Brass www.boobsandbrass.com

8. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

We haven't got any left but you may find that 4 Bars Rest or Midland CD have got some.

Classic Brass (Grimethorpe) has been popular over the years.

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If she/he already likes Dyke, a must-have classic in my opinion is their first Obrasso release of Spectacular Classics.

Tracks:

1. Festmusik der Stadt Wien, Richard Strauss arr. Eric Banks, 1.59
    2. Carnival Overture, Anton Dvorak arr. G. Brand, 8.57
    3. Night on a Bare Mountain, Modest Mussorgsky arr. D. Ashmore, 8.31
    4. La Danza, Gioacchino Rossini arr. G. Langford, 2.34
    5. Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Franz Liszt arr. W. Rimmer, 9.39
    6. Procession of the Nobles, Nikolai Rimsky – Kosakov arr. D. Ashmore, 4.54
    7. The Barber of Seville, Gioacchino Rossini arr. G. Hawkins, 7.07
    8. Zampa, Ferdinand Herold arr. W. Rimmer, 7.50
    9. Dance of the Comedians, Bedrich Smetana arr. Roy Newsome, 4.04
    10. Le Carnival Romain, Hector Berlioz arr. Frank Wright, 8.53

Total Playing Time: 65.02

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  10. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Black Dyke have recently done a series of 3 CDs entitled "Fantastic Overtures" which should appeal to someone who likes the Verdi CD.

Two of my favourite CDs with a Classical bent are Grimethorpe's "A night at the opera" and "Wagner".

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Walton
    Black Dyke
    Walton cd
    awards
    CD suggestions
  12. brownrob

brownrob Member

Dyke also did a Rossini CD, they also have a few "spectacular classics" cds

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Britannia's (Fodens) CD, The Pines Of Rome, is another brilliant recording.

N.B., currently unavailable on a few sites, but there will be a few copies floating around somewhere.

14. brownrob

brownrob Member

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's odd that a release as important as this one has been discontinued in CD format. Chandos does the full mp3 album for £4.80. I found a copy outside the UK here, but the price is hefty.

16. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Not really. If sales projections are low for physical units - so if they've sold lots already - it makes little sense to have more manufactured. Offering the material for download just requires a bit of server space (and subsequently bandwidth) and makes more economic sense.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  17. Di B

Di B Member

I'll second that Sunshine! :-D

It will be available at the end of the month and every penny from every sale goes to breast cancer - not just the profits! Costs a simple tenner of your money. The whole tenner goes to charity.
    I think 4br may do a review or something in the near future - but please don't quote me!

Includes some traditional flugel solos and some arranged just for the recording, plus a couple of band pieces too. Not classical, no.... but it would make a great present for those who aren't even into brass bands as it will bevery relaxing, enjoyable and something certainly different.

Maybe one to keep your eyes peeled for? :)

18. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I'm working my way through them and I definitely have at least two strong contenders!

This is the sort of Christmas shopping I don't mind doing ;)

Andy

19. You should also try "Fantastique - Works by Berlioz" played by the Fairey Band, together with "Slavonic Brass" the leading recording of classical music in my eyes.

Nothing works better for Brass band transcriptions than Berlioz

20. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I had a (very) quick look for that earlier on - mine became terminally scratched in the car....but the usual suspects didn't turn another one up....highly recommended, though, if you can find one.

21. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's also The Planets CD by Dyke. Okay, Moorside is thrown in as well, but it still is an impressive production.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Walton
    Black Dyke
    Walton cd
    awards
    CD suggestions