CD Search - ISB/CSB/NYSB/CSB - International Brass Spectacular

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Baritonedeaf, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Many years ago I had a copy of the following on CD, it was given to me by a former MD, and had some fantastic music on it. Somewhere between my teenage years and currently it has been lost. The recent Liedzen thread pointed out "Salvo Audio" and I was able to find the CD on there...

http://www.salvoaudio.com/bands/isb_spect.htm

It is a massed bands double CD of the International, New York, Chicago and Canadian Staff Bands. It had some absolutely wonderful playing on it and some fantastic music too - especially the singing track "You're never too far from God". I am sure the double CD I had had a white cover with the flags on in a slightly different way. I have looked for it in the past, but could not find it anywhere - at least this proves that I was not imagining it!

Anyone own this CD?
    Where did you get it?
    Does anyone with any SA knowledge have any ideas where I could find it to buy ( I have tried the obvious - SP&S, Midland CD, WoB etc)?
    Does anyone have a spare copy to sell?

Thanks in advance, Oli. :)

(I hope this is in the right place Mods, if not then please place it wherever will be best. Thanks.)

2. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Long since out of print, I'm afraid although the occasional copy does turn up on Ebay from time to time.

Perhaps there's a case for it to be re-issued especially in view of the ISB120 event coming up in June 2011 which is to feature all 8 staff bands!

3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I notice that the linked webpage has an image of the RAH; surely there's a case to be made for holding such an important event in a venue with a better acoustic ... ?

4. WorldofBrass.com

Fair point but can you name another hall in London that could stage eight brass bands and cope with the anticipated demand for tickets?

5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

The event in Toronto that is the subject of this thread sold out very quickly and a second concert was required to handle the crowd; both events were at Roy Thompson Hall and both sold out.

Have you tried the SA Toronto store for the CD?

Couldn't agree more with you about the CD; it's a great reminder of a superb event. Great music played and captured so well. Good luck in your search. I've got the CD but that's one I will always keep.

6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Does it have to be in London?

Is Birmingham's Symphony Hall not an option (I admit I have no idea how the capacity compares ... )?

7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

RAH is ~5,500 vs ~2,500 for Brum.

8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Didn't realise there was that much difference. Are there any other venues with 5000+ seating? Presumably one could use the O2, but then there'd be all kinds of hassle with PA and the like ...

9. KMJ Recordings

Not really if you're looking acoustically rather than just capacity.

10. KMJ Recordings

And I 'over remembered' Symphony Hall...it's max is 2262 in classical config.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    CSB
    ISB
    CD Search
    CSB - International Brass Spectacular
    NYSB
  12. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Wembley Arena has been used by the SA for large-scale concerts, etc. Seating capacity 12,500 but lacks the feel and acoustic of a concert hall.

Capacities for the record:
    O2 Arena 23,000
    Earls Court 19,000
    Royal Albert Hall 5,544
    Royal Festival Hall 2,784 (incl. choir stalls)

13. KMJ Recordings

Some would say the RAH lacks the acoustic of a concert hall :D

14. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Well, the RAH has been a mecca for brass bands for years. I've played there many times and always felt a unique thrill in its vast, if not ideal, space. I'm sure many who attend the BBC Prom Concerts every year gain some affection for the place. However, a large crowd helps enormously.

Yes, its acoustic can be pretty rough for some music -- but the same can be said for a few other concert halls too.

15. KMJ Recordings

Absolutely - the sense of occasion every time I've been on the stage has been huge, I just don't particularly like playing in there....there's definitely something about it, though.

16. WorldofBrass.com

The ISB120 event is taking the place of the annual Salvation Army Gospel Arts Concert which is always held at the Royal Albert Hall.

17. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Thanks to Peter Bale and his eagle eyes - I have now bought a copy of this CD from Ebay. Thanks for the help above. Cheers. :)

18. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Like this one; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170937271654