CD Salt of the Earth - Les Neish (Tuba) with Foden's Band and Martyn Parkes (Piano)

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Active Member

World of Brass is pleased to announce that Les Neish, Principal Tuba of Foden's Band, will be signing copies of his new solo CD, Salt of the Earth at the National Finals at The Royal Albert Hall, London this Saturday.

Les will be at the World of Brass trade stand soon after the completion of Foden's test-piece performance sometime during the day!

Les Neish has become one of the leading tuba players of his generation. His endeavours have gained him recognition as a soloist, chamber musician and educator throughout the world.
    He gained a First Class Honours degree, Professional Performance Diploma and Postgraduate Diploma with Distinction from the Royal Northern College of Music and, following graduation, was taken onto the RNCM staff as a chamber music coach and tuba tutor in the Junior School. He was the first ever tuba player to be awarded the Worshipful Company of Dyers Award for Wind and Brass at the Royal Overseas League Competition and he gave the first solo tuba recital at The Bridgewater Hall Manchester.

This recording is a snapshot of the different styles of music that Les has performed in concerts and recitals over the years culminating in the title track, Salt of the Earth by Andy Scott. Salt of the Earth was composed for Les and Foden's Band with funds made available from the BBC Fame Academy Education Bursary and Worshipful Company of Musicians in recognition of the composer's success in winning the Wind Band and Brass Band section of the British Composer Awards 2006. The World Premiere performance was given by Les and Foden's Band at the Royal Northern College of Music Festival of Brass in January 2008. Les will be performing the central movement during the Foden's Band concert at Regent Hall, London on Friday 16th October at 7.30pm.

If you are not in London at the weekend, you can order your CD from the World of Brass website now, by clicking HERE. The recording will be available to purchase as a download from World of Brass Tunes shortly.
  2. I don't know if anyone has heard this CD yet, but it is simply incredible! Les is a musician of the highest calibre, and as a composer, I can only a say that to have your piece recorded with such flair is a privilege.

I have a short (1 minute or so) clip of Les' cadenza to Episodes and Echoes at the following address:

For all those interest, Les has a website -

You should visit - if for no other reason than Les is, like myself, a Liverpool fan, and we are all sad at the moment and in need of cheering up!
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Who? :confused:

On everything else I agree with Pete, though - well worth the pound notes.
  4. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I was lucky enough to play Salt of the Earth with Les when I was in NYBB. It was incredible then.

I downloaded it from WoBT on Monday...and it's been on repeat on my ipod ever since!
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

What are pound notes?

But yes, I have this CD and it is very fine indeed. I heard the first performance of Salt of the Earth at the RNCM festival a year or so ago and had forgotten just how exciting it is. A great programme and terrific recording quality.
  6. greenegiant

greenegiant New Member

What a top drawer player and CD! A fine musician showcasing fantastic music from equally fine composers - bravo! A credit to each other! :clap:
  7. Tubby

Tubby Member

Les is awesome and a fantastic teacher, he's done wonders for me!
  8. Active Member

We were pleased to read in British Bandsman and Brass Band World that Salt of the Earth has been named Solo CD of the Year 2009.

Congratulations to Les Neish, Foden's Band and Martyn Parkes.
  9. Active Member

More congratulations are in order as Salt of the Earth has now been named Solo CD of the Year by 4 Bars Rest, polling 38% of the total number of votes cast.

Well done to all concerned.
  10. Active Member

2 tracks (Rumanian Dance No. 2 and Serenade from 'The Student Prince') from the album were included in tonight's Listen to the Band programme on BBC Radio 2.

Rumanian Dance No. 2 was previously broadcast on BBC Radio 3 at the end of Rob Cowan's Breakfast programme on Monday 23rd November.