CD-ROM Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Leyfy, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Any advice/suggestions welcomed.

I have found recently that the majority of CD ROMs I stick in the drive of my laptop skip and wont register. I can't decide if it is a problem with my hardware, or a problem with the CD ROMS.

Shall I just bite the bullet and buy an external CD ROM drive.

It was a reasonably cheap laptop, so I reckon its probably not worth getting repaired, and its out of warranty now.

2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

you could try one of those lens cleaner cd's but if that doesn't work then it sounds like its out of alignment. External drives are cheap so give that a go if the lens cleaner doesn't work.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Oddly enough, I got the same reading problem with two of my drives. I just went and bought a new replacement. Lens cleaning etc. just didn't solve it for me.

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Possible laser power failure as well....in a similar way that a lot of a particular brand of Japanese mini systems used to stop reading CDs after a while...

External drive is indeed the simplest way of fixing it.

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I had a similar problem on my laptop and I found a replacement drive (of a better spec) and fitted it into the special cradle in my VAIO and off we went - no problems since. In fact the performance is better than ever.

Sometimes a laptop will have a proprietary fitting, though these days, more of them use standard fittings so you can put what you like in the slot. It really is easy to do.

The problem with using an external one is that you are putting more pressure on the USB bus.

6. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Thanks for all the advice - I think I have a really over-sensitive CD drive! Its fine with brand new CDs (I bought a new CD today and it loaded onto iTunes fine) but CDs with the *slightest* mark on, it wont accept. So I think I will get an external hard drive.

Just one thing - I currently store all my music on an external hard drive with a USB connection. Does anyone know if going from external CD drive to an external hard drive on USB will significantly slow the process down?