cd review "Five Blooms in a Welsh Garden"

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by nickjones, Nov 19, 2004.

1. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

After rehersal last night , I put on a copy of the Beaumaris Band CD" Five Blooms in a Welsh Garden" which was recorded by Doyen in 1999. It has some brilliant stuff on it , just for information the CD is still available on the Band's website and from World of Brass.
    TRACK LISTING
    1. Belfords Carnival March - Alexander arr P.Smalley
    2.Scottish Rhapsody
    3.Londonderry Air - cornet solo Paul Hughes
    4.That's a Plenty - Lew Pollack arr G.Richards.
    5.A Sweet Shepherdess ( from Cross Patonce ) Goff Richards.
    6.Make his praise Glorious - William Gordon
    7. Over the Rainbow - H.Arlen - Tenor Horn Solo Nia Wyn
    8.Riverdance - Bill Whelan arr Ray Farr featuring Catrin Evans , the William Mathias Music Centre Choir , Emma Vegaise ( recorder)
    9.Trumpet Blues and Cantable - Arr Bill Geldard
    10.Tea for Two - Howard Snell
    11.On with the Motley- -Leoncavello arr Ray Farr Soprano Cornet Solo - Barri Gwyliam
    12.Malaguena - Mark Freeh
    13.Jeanie with the light brown hair - Stephen Foster arr Elgar Howarth
    14.Postcard from Mexico - Howard Snell
    15. Five Blooms in a Welsh Garden - Gareth Wood

something new and different on this CD , featuring Aled Williams , Nia Wyn , Paul Hughes ( cornet ) for all those who know Paul , you will recognise him as Grimethorpe's flugel soloist on the "Brassed off" soundtrack. you might also recognise players such as Dewi Griffiths ( YBS 2nd Man down) and some brilliant tuba solo playing by Gavin Saynor in "Witchhazel" in Five Blooms.
    well worth a Listen
    www.beaumarisband.org.uk

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Welsh Garden
    Five Blooms
    Paul Hughes
    Ray Farr
    Mark Freeh
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Is this the first time Five Blooms has been recorded in a studio? Only remember Britannia's live performance at the European Championship in Cardiff.

4. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I think this is the only studio recording of Five Blooms , I think the BTM band recorded just the first movement on a cd a few years ago.

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There is a live contest performance by Brass Band Limberg on their cd "At the Contests".

6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

One of the highlights of the CD is the recorder , solo voice and choir on "Riverdance" very different but works really well , also "A Sweet Shepherdess " and Make his praise Glorious " get some recording time.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Regarding Gareth Woods Five Blooms In A Welsh Garden, I have both the live recordings by Limburg & Britannia, ... but I have never played the work and should be interesting listening to this recording.

8. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

You can order a copy of the cd from the bands website just click on the information link and email the band for your copy of the cd.
    the price of the CD is £5.00 including post and packaging.
    I have also found out last night that the B and youth bands have just recorded a CD which will be onsale at the Bands Christmas concerts in December.