cd review "Five Blooms in a Welsh Garden"

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by nickjones, Nov 19, 2004.

1. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

After rehersal last night , I put on a copy of the Beaumaris Band CD" Five Blooms in a Welsh Garden" which was recorded by Doyen in 1999. It has some brilliant stuff on it , just for information the CD is still available on the Band's website and from World of Brass.
    TRACK LISTING
    1. Belfords Carnival March - Alexander arr P.Smalley
    2.Scottish Rhapsody
    3.Londonderry Air - cornet solo Paul Hughes
    4.That's a Plenty - Lew Pollack arr G.Richards.
    5.A Sweet Shepherdess ( from Cross Patonce ) Goff Richards.
    6.Make his praise Glorious - William Gordon
    7. Over the Rainbow - H.Arlen - Tenor Horn Solo Nia Wyn
    8.Riverdance - Bill Whelan arr Ray Farr featuring Catrin Evans , the William Mathias Music Centre Choir , Emma Vegaise ( recorder)
    9.Trumpet Blues and Cantable - Arr Bill Geldard
    10.Tea for Two - Howard Snell
    11.On with the Motley- -Leoncavello arr Ray Farr Soprano Cornet Solo - Barri Gwyliam
    12.Malaguena - Mark Freeh
    13.Jeanie with the light brown hair - Stephen Foster arr Elgar Howarth
    14.Postcard from Mexico - Howard Snell
    15. Five Blooms in a Welsh Garden - Gareth Wood

something new and different on this CD , featuring Aled Williams , Nia Wyn , Paul Hughes ( cornet ) for all those who know Paul , you will recognise him as Grimethorpe's flugel soloist on the "Brassed off" soundtrack. you might also recognise players such as Dewi Griffiths ( YBS 2nd Man down) and some brilliant tuba solo playing by Gavin Saynor in "Witchhazel" in Five Blooms.
    well worth a Listen
    www.beaumarisband.org.uk

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Is this the first time Five Blooms has been recorded in a studio? Only remember Britannia's live performance at the European Championship in Cardiff.

3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I think this is the only studio recording of Five Blooms , I think the BTM band recorded just the first movement on a cd a few years ago.

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There is a live contest performance by Brass Band Limberg on their cd "At the Contests".

5. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

One of the highlights of the CD is the recorder , solo voice and choir on "Riverdance" very different but works really well , also "A Sweet Shepherdess " and Make his praise Glorious " get some recording time.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Regarding Gareth Woods Five Blooms In A Welsh Garden, I have both the live recordings by Limburg & Britannia, ... but I have never played the work and should be interesting listening to this recording.

7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

You can order a copy of the cd from the bands website just click on the information link and email the band for your copy of the cd.
    the price of the CD is £5.00 including post and packaging.
    I have also found out last night that the B and youth bands have just recorded a CD which will be onsale at the Bands Christmas concerts in December.