CD Recordings

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jackyboy, Oct 31, 2003.

  1. jackyboy

    jackyboy New Member

    A cd recording machine is currently being marketed by a certain music shop, primarily as a rehearsal devise. Many md's use mini disc recorders for rehearsal and concerts. If a band records its own performances and then sells cd's ,does the band need any permision from anyone? Bands used to pay money to the prs each year but this doesn't seem to happen anymore.
  2. Highams

    Highams Member

    I have just completed a CD for St.Mary's Parish Church, recorded live on minidisc and copied to full size CD.

    A license is required from the PRS, and a detailed form filled in with all performance details, arrangers, composers & publishers etc & number of copies.

    On receipt of the license, we can market these as 'Promotional copies, not for sale' and will ask for a donation in return of £10 towards Church funds.
  3. jackyboy

    jackyboy New Member

    How much does a licence cost ?
  4. Railybobs

    Railybobs Member

    There is a company called MCS (I think) that you have to register with. You pay them 8% of all profits from any recording or public performance and they sort it all out.

    It saves a lot of hassle.
  5. James McFadyen

    James McFadyen New Member

    MCPS (Mechanical Copyright Protection Society) They collect and distribute royalties of recordings, music for synch, etc.
  6. jackyboy

    jackyboy New Member

    Thanks folks ! I'm sure we'll put your info to good use. :D
  7. Blot

    Blot New Member

Share This Page