cd players

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by silkenrose, Jan 16, 2005.

1. silkenrose

silkenrose New Member

This is a long shot, but i wonder if anyone can suggest what cd player would most faithfully reproduce the sound of a brass band?

I am in the process of buying a new CD player and am auditioning at the moment a CAMBRIDGE 640C and a NAD C542.

To me, the 640 offers a warm, rich sound, whereas the NAD is somewhat brighter. Does anyone have any experience with either of these, particularly for brass recordings? or any other ideas?

It was also suggested that I consider a REGA PLANET, however that would be half as expensive again as either the 640 or 542

(btw, I am using a pioneer AV receiver and wharfedale speakers)

thanx heaps
  2. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Oh dear. You've awakened a different BOC side to me now ;-)

Out of the two you mentioned, the NAD. Far, Far better machine. But you're Amp won't do it justice at all.

Cambridge have some reliability issues (and don't I know it after 2 failed machines!), but I've had a NAD T770 and NAD CD player for years without any problems. The brightness with the NAD is more to do with your (primarily) AV reciever.

Make sure you get decent interconnects though, as these can make quite a tonal difference.

ALTHOUGH if you're connecting digitally (TOSLINK or SPDIF) to your amp, it shouldn't make any difference, as all the "translation" is happening there, by the same DAC no matter what cd player you use!

Anyway, drop me a mail if you need to chat, as I'm sure not many on here are interested in this!