CD collections

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jpbray, Sep 29, 2004.

1. jpbray

jpbray Member

As well as the regionals CD; does anyone else collect CDs with the peice of music on they are going to play at contest?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    peice
    music
    CD collections
    regionals CD
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

More inclined to get a recording of a piece (not necessarily the Regionals CD....) if I'm conducting rather than playing, though it's not exclusive to the former!

4. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

i frequently get a cd with a recording of a test piece on it, mainly to get a "feel" for the music.

FG

5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I have mixed feelings on this subject.

Very often, I prefer not to listen to recordings of music I am preparing for a contest; I like to try and keep my mind uncluttered by other people's interpretative ideas. By the same token, in an ideal world, I would be happier if the band members also did not listen to other recordings. However I fully understand why some people like to hear the piece on CD, to help get a "feel" for it, as FG says.

On the other hand, if whilst preparing a piece of music I come up against a specific interpretative problem, then I will where possible listen to several different recordings, to see how other conductors deal with the problem.

No hard and fast rules, then; depends on the piece.

G.

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I must admit i am a TEST PIECE fanatic.
    Have at least 200 TEST PIECE RECORDINGS.
    La Forza Del Destino been the most, that includes the winning performance by CWS MANCHESTER.
    A bit before my time however a copy is available on cd for anyone who as NEVER heard that muched talked about performance.
    My first conductor of the senior band who i used to play for(WALSALL METROPOLITAN BAND-now Staffordshire) PETER BRIGHT played 2nd man down on that performance and also on the BELMONT VARIATIONS victory.
    Have got a Massed Bands recording of RIENZI on the FESTIVALIA Series with 3 bands but the playing is utter C--P.:-D

7. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

My CD collection is growing all the time, mainly for tracks I like listening to or ones that I have played before (and just to see how it was supposed to be done!!), but then I started buying CDs that feature music that our band are playing at the time as well and lending them out to bandmembers, mainly just to show them how things go, maybe give them some inspiration and to show them the standard they could achieve if they stuck with it!

My former teacher used to lend me solo tapes years ago, I know it helped me alot with my playing and the more I listened to it, the more I wanted to play at that high standard. Hopefully they will actually LISTEN to them and get better....! ;)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

If there's a tricky bit that won't come off the page after a few tries I will force myself to listen to someone else's recording. However, I'm wary of falling into the trap of imitating someone else's style.

It was sometimes painfully obvious at the areas that the 2nd section bands were trying to make themselves play the piece like a champ section band whose recording was 'doing' the rounds.

It was well beyond what a couple of them were capable of. :(

9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

For a moment there I imagined that someone had admitted to duplicating copyright material ...

10. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

must just be the rumours going around....

11. Is someone suggesting that there are now 1000s of copies of the Area 2005 CDs knocking around?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    peice
    music
    CD collections
    regionals CD
  13. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I've never been one for listening to recordings of test pieces before playing them. This i because I enjoy hearing the piece develop in the band room with the band's own style, without the interpretation of an outside influence altering our perception.

14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I also like to listen to solo CD's to get a good tuba sound in my head. It helps me have something to aim for.

I also, like to listen to a recording of a test piece many times until I "know" the piece, then once a contest is about 3 weeks away put it away never to be heard again so that I play what our band is trying to do with it, instead of what other bands have done with it. (that helps me stay out of the interpretive trap)

In the case of this years area piece, I will probably only listen to orchestral recordings of it as I feel that will give me a better idea of the true piece as well as the required dynamics.

15. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Another good idea that I use. Orchestral versions of pieces are great for that - but they are a little difficult to find for some pieces :)