CD collection

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bigmamabadger, Apr 13, 2005.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Sad to say I have no Brass Band CDs. I'm so ashamed.
    What's a good small selection to start with and can I use my HMV vouchers?
    BMB
    xx

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

mmmmmm! ... depends on what kind of band music you want to listen to! Give us a hint!

3. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

I can recommend the music of the spheres cd and the kings of europe cd by ybs, they r both fantastc but if ur not into listening to test pieces they may be a bit heavy for u.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

5. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

For a generally entertaining CD, I really like Grimethorpe's Melody Shop, which is apparently available at HMV.

http://www1.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=422374

I also enjoy their CD Paganini Variations, which may or may not be readily available - I think Doyen is not pressing any more.

http://www.doyen-recordings.co.uk/catalogue/index.htm

Both of these are a few years old, but they leap to the front of my mind when someone asks for recommendations. Many of the other CDs in my brass band collection were purchased for a specific piece or two, so if you didn't like that particular piece they might not float your boat.

-Lothian

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Get yourself a copy of "The Year of the Dragon" by Brittania Building Society (Fodens).

The playing is superb thoughout, it has a great selection of all sorts of music and features the best recording of the Year of the Dragon I've heard.

Music of the Spheres is also pretty good. ;)

7. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

On the whole prefer Entertainment-stylee band music to listen to. My dad has a superb recording of Royal Doulton from about 1977 (Star wars, Who Pays The Ferryman, etc.) and wonderful CWS with Don Lusher which includes brass band version of Rhapsody in Blue, but would like to hear things like Music of The Spheres as well. Have a knackered old tape of Dyke playing The Frogs which is pretty good.BMB
    xx

8. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

If you want just light band pieces, then you cannot beat Grimethorpe's Classic Brass CD. Sheer quality from start to end.
    Also something like Renaissance by the ISB has a good mix of things on, from major works to short concert items (very short in the case of Dance Before The Lord!).
    Vitae Lux by YBS is very good too.

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

10. Hi BMB,

Sounds like we have similar listening tastes, test pieces are great for contests but in my opinion are a bit heavy for easy listening, but then again my brass cd collection isn't anything to write home about either hahaha! Otherwise I have quite an eclectic mix, Frank Sinatra-he's my fave-to Foreigner and Keane!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    HMV
    Brass Band CDs
    BMBxx
    good small selection
    CD collection Sad
  12. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

I have to recomend YBS Hymn of the Highlands. Its just class from start to finish, and the recording of Whitsun Wakes on there is something else (if you have this cd, you will know what I mean).

13. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

If you are not after anything too heavy, want "entertainment" music and are starting from scratch, then I would recommend 100 Brass Band Classics. Available on Amazon for £8.99 and I've seen it for sale in various markets. It's 4CDs in all and I think it would be a good start to your collection.

14. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I would reccomend the following

YBS Music of the Spheres
    YBS Hymn of the Highlands (know what you mean stephen re Whitsun Wakes!)
    Grimethorpe Paganini Variations (especially the title track and Journey into Freedom!)

15. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

A couple of good CDs are already mentioned.
    I'd like to add two CDs that I really like:

Black Dyke, The Essence of Time (if it's still available...)
    YBS, Cry of the Celts

16. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

It certainly IS still available, click on THIS !
    By all means use the Doyen Recordings website to order but, as we bought the Doyen catalogue some years ago, all orders placed on it are handled by ourselves anyway.

Our Spring update catalogue will be available next week so why not email or PM me with your address details and I'll make sure that you receive a copy.
    In the meantime, have a browse around www.worldofbrass.com although unfortunately for you we wouldn't be able to accept HMV tokens!

17. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Any of the above for a start!

Also, just glancing thru my collection:

"Impressive Brass" by Provinciable Brassband Gronigen,
    "Movie Brass" by Grimethorpe,
    "Antoine Courtois Showcase" By Fodens, (great solo CD!)
    "Completly Catherall" by Ever Ready,
    "Essential Dyke, VOL3" by Black Dyke,
    "Vitae Lux" by YBS

etc etc etc!!

Oh and of course forgot to mention "Forever Young" by Campbeltown Brass!! ;) :biggrin:

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Another classic of it's time to consider is Black Dyke's 'Plays Langford' CD listed as 'Spectrum Of Brass'.

http://www2.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=281;1;-1;-1&sku=669199

No track listing but I'll give you what's on the LP ...

1. Sinfonietta (i.allegro non troppo ii.andante iii. allegro vivo)
    2. Rhapsody For Trombone (written for and played by Don Lusher)
    3. Prelude & Fugue
    4. Billy Boy (trad.)
    5. Pavane (Faure)
    6. Waltzing Matilda (Australian trad.)
    7. Irish Washerwoman (trad., arr. for 4 troms)
    8. A Sullivan Fantasy (Sullivan)

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

20. Scotty

Scotty Member

Having a wee look through my CD's:

Winters Tale (Martin winter) - one of the best solo CD's ive ever heard.

25 Years of the european - some of the best contests performances ever Desford 86' to name one.

The Debutante (Richard Marshall) and Bandsmens Choice (Roger Webster) - two CD's that give a lesson in how to play the classics.

Call of the Cossacks (BlackDyke) - some excellent music played brilliantly.

Bourgeois in Brass - The cheek to record such music is a feat in itself - Awesome!!

I would also recommend my own bands CD Reflections of Freedom ;)

21. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Do you also know if Black Dyke's The Essence of Time is still available? I can't seem to find it on your website...

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    HMV
    Brass Band CDs
    BMBxx
    good small selection
    CD collection Sad