CD - Brass of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by WorldofBrass.com, May 18, 2007.

1. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Got my copy but it won't play on my stereo (which is a DVD player) despite it saying on the sleeve that it will play in all standard CD devices :mad:

2. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

CD is on sale for £9.99 online with free delivery at HMV! I saw copies in one of their stores for £13 earlier on today.

4. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Ordered the CD today. Really looking forward to listening to it.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I hope that you will as pleased with it as I am. One thing though, the sleevenotes do not list the players. They have been performing live since 2003.

6. ChrisHelme

ChrisHelme Member

'...Portraits...'

Hello
    If you all like that orchestral brass team try this one out - 'Portraits' - it has Peter Masseurs principal trumpet at the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra playing the Arutunian trumpet concerto with a new specially written cadenza for him - For trombone players Tim Dowling the principal trombone at the Residente Orchestra in The Hague plays Ferdinand David's Concertino For Trombone - this was specially arranged for trombone and brass band - For French horn enthusiasts there is Edward Gregson's Horn Concerto and Brass Band played by Jasper de Waal he is principal French horn player at the Royal Concertgebouw - and of course for cornet players Huug Steketee the principal trumpet/cornet player at the Residentie Orchestra plays his own composition of '...Portraits...'.
    They are not finshed yet - to close their CD they play Huug Steketee's quartet arrangement of an Arban exercise. Having listen to the recording with Hepworth (Lanson Homes) Band brilliantly accompanying the four soloists - this is playing at the highest level and the best £5.99 CD around.

Chris

7. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

They're all listed on the front cover, along with the composers, although it's not easy to work out who plays what!

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:oops: ... you're correct! (with the composers highlighted in red and conductor in yellow!)

9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

And if you like the conducting on the CD, I can recommend you my band's CD that will be released soon ;) It will be published by DeHaske, and will be called "Cry of the Falcon - Flemish music for fanfare band" :biggrin:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  10. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Having ordered mine last week i have now received an email from HMV telling me they are out of Stock.

Look like im in for a bit of a wait lol. :-?

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- you could pop up to the HMV store in Princes Street, Edinburgh ... two copies racked under 'trumpet' in it's classical/jazz section upstairs only a week ago! ;)

12. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

ha ha

9.99 CD plus 30 quid diesel. bargain!!!!! :tongue:

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

£13 store price! Nice when you can get it ... :p

[​IMG]

14. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Salt im my wounds :(

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

burny! burny! glorious sounds :cool:

[​IMG]

16. jondaw

jondaw New Member

Really objected to paying £13.95 for this CD with World of Brass and then finding £2.95 P&P added at the very end - £16.90 is taking the p***

Did a Google and found myself on http://betamonline.netsoundsmusic.com a site based in Philladelphia, USA.

Placed my order on June 16th (Saturday) and had the CD delivered on 27 June (Wenesday). Excellent service with update emails confirming receipt of order and when the disc was shipped.

Total cost INCLUDING P&P US$19.83 (£10.33)

17. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Got the Manchester Branch of HMV to send it to Bangor picked it up this lunchtime , and just had a listen..brilliant cd , will be better on the surround system later than the small speakers I have here...class playing all round.
    Well worth the £13.00

18. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Its finally arrived. Im now looking forward to listening to it.

19. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

It's received an excellent review from Dudley Bright in British Bandsman this week and also from Paul Hindmarsh in Brass Band World.