Cawston Band appoint new Musical Director

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Chunky, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

The Cawston Band is pleased to announce the appointment of their new Musical Director, Leigh Sharpe.

Leigh initially joined the band as Principal Cornet in October 2007.

Although not a native of Norfolk, he began his musical journey as a 12-year-old with Poulton-le-Fylde Brass Band, Leigh has settled in Norfolk following a career in the Army.

He joined the Army as a musician at the age of 16 ‘for a couple of years’ - 29 years later it came time to retire from the Army! Leigh served at the illustrious Royal Military School of Music, Kneller Hall and with ‘The Royal Artillery Band and orchestra’, ‘The Band of the Parachute Regiment’, ‘The Band of the Army Air Corps’ and ‘The Band of the Dragoon Guards’ as a commissioned officer, Director of Music.

Musical tours included Malaysia and Singapore, Cyprus, Kenya, Gibraltar, Pakistan and too numerous to mention trips to Europe. Operational tours to Northern Ireland and Iraq did little to dampen enthusiasm.

Leigh is now looking forward to continuing doing the one thing he is most comfortable with – making music to an appreciative audience. He begins this when he conducts Cawston in a Concert in aid of the Leonard Cheshire Homes on Sunday 22nd February at the Octagon Chapel in Norwich. This will be followed swiftly by the London & Southern Counties Regional Championships in Stevenage.

Commenting on his appointment Leigh says: “The last couple of years have seen quite a dramatic shift in my life what with the transition from leaving the Army and also the loss of my sister and Father (not forgetting ‘Charlieboy’ my golden retriever) and the prospect of life after the Forces. I am lucky to have found employment that suits and also to have a beautiful and supportive wife and the time and wherewithal to be able to continue my music making, and for that I have Cawston Band to thank for making that possible. The band has the undoubted talent to go on to bigger and better things and I would wish us all, all the best for the future”.

2. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Good luck to all at Cawston and will see you for a pint (of diet coke) and a good ole mardle Chunky.

3. Flugelgeoff

Flugelgeoff Member

Wow that is a surprise.:biggrin: Good luck to band and MD

4. deave

deave Member

He was a great left winger!