Castell Coch - Why do it?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by P_S_Price, May 30, 2015.

1. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

At Delph this year Castell Coch was played 7 times; an out of those 7 times the band that came closest to getting the bell effect arpeggios correct was a youth band ( and that included a 1st section band)!

My question is Why would MD's select a march that they know straight off that it is going to be obviously wrong to the adjudicator?

You cant hide those missing bell effects they stick out.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Castell Coch
    Delph
    MD
    youth band
    bell effect arpeggios
  3. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

How can something 'stick out' if it's missing?

4. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

You must be a teacher. What you have said is True; but misses the underlying point!

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Funny that, when you have a tooth extracted, the hole 'sticks out' in your gum so that you are constantly playing with it.

As to the underlying point, the rest of the march is generally quite easy to play and so the band may survive a little longer through the night!

6. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

If ands never attempted challenging pieces how would they improve?

yes, they may not play them perfectly, but has the challenge improved them? I think it has then it's done the job.

also, it's fun to play tricky stuff and last time I looked brass banding was still a hobby for most of us.

7. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

That did occur to me and its the kind of thing I might do; but actually in a contest? Particularly the 1st section band who would seem to have decided by doing that; to ensure that they had no chance of a prize?

I guess it kind of emphasises the fact that the Whit Friday contests are really just a fun event rather than a serious competition; and rather negates all the moaning in another thread about Dyke "Cheating".

8. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

There are probably layers of detail that only the best bands manage in most decent contest marches. Perhaps the op thinks that any bands below the top section should just play Slaidburn?

9. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

No the OP doesnt think that. It just that the failed bell effects in CC are so obvious (as they happen several times and right up front)!

The Op just doesnt understand why a 1st section band would go into a contest with a march that they so obviously cant play.

There is a lot of level of detail that correctly only the big uns can do that only the adjudicator will hear. but in this instance with this march and that effect Its not a small Level of Detail.

I know from our feeble attempts with some SA pieces that this type of Bell effect is notoriously difficult to achieve as frequently it is the less strong players on inner parts that now have nowhere to hide.

What shocked me the most was that the closest band that came to getting it right was a Youth band full of little uns. Full marks to them!