Carry On Camping

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SuperMosh, Jul 31, 2006.

1. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Hi Di Hi Campers! (hopefully)

Due to the fact that our house resembles a building site with all the work we are having done at the moment (new kitchen, utility, conservatory etc) and that my bank account is akin to the Niagra Falls (only with money flowing out not water obviously), I have decided to take my wife and 4 year old on a camping trip or two this summer by way of at least getting some holiday in. Yes, I am poor!!!!!

My questions are these (I am not a novice camper having gained both the Chief Scouts Award and Challenge when in the scouts - did not get my musician badge but that's another story)

- We like Wales and would like to camp near to Prestatyn as my wife has fond memories of going there when she was a kid with her mum (her mum passed away a few months ago so it would be nice to go back there for her)
    - We have a bargain tent from Argos (other High Street Catolgue based retailers who use rubbish advertising campaigns with Z listers like Richard E Grant (other fading Brit actors are available) are available) which sleeps 4 people, 3 sleeping bags and some air beds - what else do we need (I used to be a tough camper who only took a sleeping bag) in view of my wife and little one
    - Anybody know any good sites in the Lakes, Peaks, near Surrey (my dad / step mum and sister - Flutey - live that way?
    - Isle of Wight have any good campsites?

And so on. Please be gentle with me, I am very experienced at camping but not with families, especially my own.

Camp Mosh x

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Carry On Camping Hi Di Hi
    Niagra Falls
    wife
    step mum
    way
  3. Di

Di Active Member

It all depends on what sort of site you're intending to use really. Some have ample facilities for washing up, toilets, showers etc. Some have none. Also, what are you doing about meals? Are you eating out all holiday? If not, you'll need to consider a fridge and cooking/eating facilities.

4. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

My wife would like to eat out at a local eatery to the site, which incidentally is well stocked with showers, toilets, family things to do.

I would like to introduce Alex, my four year old, to the harsh realities of mother nature and show the boy how to catch food like Daddy used to.

We won't bother taking any cooking stuff on our first one, we will go to cafe's / pubs until we get our heads round it.

5. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Haha hello there camp Mosh. Well, I can't say what the name makes me thing in fear of your high status on here, I would get blocked!
    Camp down at the park near us ;-) alternatively there seem to be plenty of gipsy camps springing up round this way! Anyway, what happened to coming to stay at mine? I think we will chat about this tonight, Dad will probably phone when he gets home. Just had a look on the internet, you might want to have a look at http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/townlisting.asp?town=Prestatyn
    Don't know if it will be of any help, but that site also has other campsites around the UK.
    So please enlighten me... why did you not get your musicians badge? Ah, so much I don't know about you!

6. Di

Di Active Member

Breakfast, lunch and dinner? :eek: Yikes! I thought you said you were poor! ;)

7. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

He'll probably spend God knows how much on petrol to drive up to mine and get free meals ;)

8. postie

postie Member

If you want to go to Prestatyn - why not ditch the tent and book yourselves into Pontins!!!!

9. Di

Di Active Member

Having got the Scouts Award in camping, you should be following the scout motto " be prepared" . It would be sensible to take at least a set of melamine plates/dishes/cups, and some cutlery and some basic foods, ie, cereal, bread etc. And a mini fridge which can be run off the car battery to keep things like milk, drinks and a packet of ham cool. Then should you get the urge to nibble, or not wish to eat out, you have the necessities to be going on with. Eating out three times a day is soon going to turn into a very expensive cheap camping holiday.

10. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Yes, you'll need plastic eating things from which to eat your takeaways!!!!

The best thing about camping for me (I HATE IT) is enforced barbecues. Even on portable party barbecues (£2 from Aldi?) And the barbecue can be disposed of afterwards, and can be as poor ar as rich as you want! (although the neighbours on the campsite might snigger if they saw you spatchcock a poussin or skewer M & S prawns in your Argos tent ;) )

11. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

When I go camping in France I can't do without my electric hook-up for my fridge, lights, fan and to recharge things. My gas barbecue, gazebo and reclining chair are also useful......I like to camp in style, although I am regularly told that this isn't proper camping. I also can't stand plastic plates so take old china ones!!:oops:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Carry On Camping Hi Di Hi
    Niagra Falls
    wife
    step mum
    way
  13. Di

Di Active Member

Ditto!

We're off to France again next week (yippeeeee, can't wait! )

We'll have : Caravan (complete with shower, fridge, cooker, double glazing, climate control), awning, pup tent, gas bbq, colour TV/video, DVD player, tenor horn, satellite annnnnnnnnd, wait for it, wait for it ....

Hol.jpg

Yes... the lap top will be going. But only to "keep my fingers in" of course. ;)

What? Whaddya mean thats not camping? :eek:

Come on Pete, you at least need to have the means to make a brew when you fancy one. :)

14. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Blimey Di, you might as well just stay at home and pay your neighbours to talk to you in French - it'll be cheaper in the long run! ;) :tongue:

15. Di

Di Active Member

Ah, but where's the excitement in that? Arriving at the ferry port, watching the ferry come in, driving on board, getting up on deck while you pull out of harbour, dinner then a rocky nights sleep. Then a drive down through France watching the temperature gauge rise and rise until you reach your destination, all hot a flustered, just in time for a dip in the pool pool.jpg followed by the first evening meal. Oooh, I can feel the weight just falling off my shoulders just thinking and typing about it. :biggrin:

16. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

:clap: That is very true!
    When Pete (Supermosh) goes camping it will be a different story though... knowing him he will manage to stay away from modern things like tv, computer etc... not too sure how his 4 year old will manage wiwthout Cbeebies though!

17. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Alex will have face paint ala Rambo and will be out hunting wild boar with his dad whilst Mrs Mosh is back at camp, preparing the feast. Or the pot noodle.

18. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Camp Mosh - Update

At the weekend I put the tent up with my four year old. Two hours later it was done.

Good call on the food stuffs - will take the following:

- Beer
    - Crisps
    - Nuts
    - Pot noodles
    - Pom Bear Potato snacks (for Alex)

The campsite we have chosen does not allow hook ups to electric apparently for health and safety. The rules do read like a prohibitive list and when I rang them they were very concerned that I was male. Despite the fact I said I was bringing my wife and a four year old, I was warned 4 times that I am not allowed to bring an all male party. I was then asked my occupation and I wanted to say I was a Club 18-30 rep but refused to answer saying that my £14 is all they need to worry about! :mad:

Pontins - it's not the same is it unless you are with a bunch of banders in a bootcamp hut. However, we will get a daypass and I will feedback any news on facilities.

Di - you're a legend.

We are going on Thursday for one night - I am not taking melamine plates and all that malarkey - we will take loads of sandwiches, have some fish and chips by the sea and also buy a bottle of milk for the 3 cereal bowls we will take. I have my trusty 3 cell Maglite and I will buy a lantern from Argos tomorrow.

All set I reckon.

Camp Mosh.

PS Thanks to you all, I will update at the weekend.

19. Di

Di Active Member

When I said "make a brew" that's NOT what I had in mind. :rolleyes::tongue:
    :oops:
    Gosh, I didn't realise you were going for just the one night. Or is this just a trial run?

Good luck and have fun. :biggrin:

20. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

This is a trial run. I like to think of it as a 'reconnaissance expedition - target Prestatyn, d-day Thursday 0900 hours' but when I try to get Mrs Mosh to play pretend soldiers she just tells me to shut up. :)

21. Di

Di Active Member

Just a thought ....

You said "pot noodles".. You have the wherewithalls to provide hot water?

22. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member