Carols at Tescos!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Vickitorious, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Wow! I feel christmassy now!

I've just been to band, and went into Tescos on the way (Quedgeley) and Wotton Band were there playing carols!

Now thats Christmas!

Normally you hear loads of bands, theres normally a different band on every street in Leicester, but nope :( there were none this year, and there were none in Bristol!

This was the first time I've heard a band playing carols this year! And it's 2 days before christmas!! :eek:

Do bands just not want to go out and get cold anymore? Is that not what Xmas is about?! lol! :rolleyes::tongue:

Oooh and the little group from Wotton.. you sounded very nice! :biggrin: I heard Rudolph and was like wooow! I've not played that this year! :(:(
  2. eanto

eanto Member

Are you saying you've not been out yourself this Christmas? Shame on you young lady!! I know myself it was particularly chilly last Sunday!
  3. Vickitorious

Nope, we don't do them! :( I was gonna go out with Hathern last weekend, but opted for a lie in instead seeing as I hadn't stopped all week and still had lots to do! :rolleyes:
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2006
  4. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

It's been a while few years since I've seen a band carolling like that. When I played for Boldon Colliery we did the local ASDA every year for a full week leading up to christmas, it just doesn't happen enough anymore
  5. eanto

eanto Member

Yeh, Yeh... Sponsorship's gota lot to answer for!!:rolleyes: We 'other' mortals have to work for a livin!! Those that can do, those that can't carol!!
  6. Vickitorious

I've played carols but not outdoors!

Helped out a band at a church service the other day.. 6 verses of each carol .:eek: . I'm not sure I do want to go carolling! Lol!!

But hmmm.. then again! I didn't feel christmassy untill 7 hrs ago or so! lol :(
  7. eanto

eanto Member

Carolling can be a useful 'earner' but its not the most glamorous occupation!! It does however, beat collecting!! which must be the worse job in the world!!!! All credit to those that do:clap: :clap: :clap: maximum respect:)
  8. postie

postie Member

Bestwood have done their 4 days at Tesco's in Hucknall just north of Nottingham. We just consider it a necessary evil !!!!
  9. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I was carolling at Tescos in Durham on Tuesday night and we made £288.27 in 2 hours! There has been a different group carolling outside every day and night for the last two weeks as well.

Maybe it's you lazy Southerners! :)

Ho ho ho!!!!
  10. paulspud

paulspud Member

Old Hall BRass will be at ASDA, Wigan on Christmas Eve 12-3. We also did Tesco at Hindley on the17 Dec for 2 hrs. A worthwile exercise in both financial and exposure of the band terms
  11. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Not sure we want to...but it's the main way of getting some money in the bank to help for the next year banding costs.

We normally do the Severn Valley Railway at Areley and 2 stints at Tesco (Warndon) Worcester..but this year we also played at Hanbury Hall National Trust (by request), Sainsbury Kidderminster, Tesco (St Peters) Worcester.

Great turnout by the band and the last couple of sessions on Tuesday and Thursday were pretty cold in the fog. it was as good (and better in some cases) than last year on the public giving generously.

I was glad I upset the local bank staff carring in 3 buckets full of coins for them to bank for us!:D ...even though all they had to do was weigh the coin bags I had counted

Happy Xmas and success to all bands for 2007
  12. MartinT

MartinT Member

Bit late for you to get to Tesco in Didcot today, I suppose, and certainly too late to get to Tesco in Abingdon last Saturday! You would find bits of Wantage Band there all day.:tup
  13. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I have played sooo many carols this year! I did 9 christmas jobs with my band since the start of december and I've been helping out my old band...thursday in sainsburys, yesterday in asda, today in sainsburys, tomorrow morning in booths and then a pub in the afternoon! I still don't feel very christmassy though :confused:
  14. jim

jim Member

When I was in Tredegar we played carols all the time even exstensive stins in the womens underwear section of marks a spencers dont ask!!
  15. tenor

tenor New Member

All together our band has done 6 supermarket jobs 2 Tesco,4 Morrisons
  16. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Well I've just got back from caroling outside Co-op...we started at 10am! I love playing outside supermarkets in the cold! Ever since I joined the band we've played outside Sainsbury's four times a year - a morning, a late night shopping evening, a whole day the Saturday before Christmas, and Christmas Eve. But it seems to have got more popular down here and Sainsbury's have been limiting a maximum of two slots per band/organisation, so we've had to find somewhere else aswell...Co-op's great, but not a match to Sainsbury's :( ...tomorrow will be my first Christmas eve since 1995 that I haven't played carols outside Sainsbury's :( ...!
  17. mattc

mattc New Member

Supermarkets and pubs are where the money is. Me and a small group from my old band went round the 5 pubs in our village and made £300 in an hour and a half. Played outside the local supermarket this morning for an hour and made over £300 again. Supermarkets that have trolleys which need £1 coins are the best, position a collector by the trolley park and you're sorted! People just throw the coins in straight out of the trolley.
  18. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

We've done 7 jobs in the last two weeks; two for cancer research; one in lieu of rent at the Royal British Legion; one at an old folk's dinner, to give us a higher profile in the borough; one in Hammersmith Shopping Centre, and two at Kew. We got paid at Kew, but didn't collect for our own coffers.
  19. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

A growing trend i'm afraid, same here in Marlow every year the £ we always raised never wants to be counted.

Just say its your money, its your account and you want it paid in anyway you like.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member

Im just back from doing my "carol duty" at Tesco in Bathgate, we done a few hours last sunday aswell, It does make you feel christmasy and gets great money for the band but its to cold!