caroling - which carol is the best?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sparkling_quavers, Dec 4, 2005.

1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

...for the most donations? after spending most of today caroling in the trafford centre with band I have decided it is certainly 'Jingle Bells', although our collectors seemed to do quite well when we played some real xmas cheese such as "mistletoe and wine" :rolleyes:
  2. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

Carol Vorderman?
  3. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Calypso Carol!!

Does anybody else go from A-Z in the little red 'Christmas Praise' carol books during their carolling session? :tongue:
  4. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

i love coventry carol especially the ending
  5. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

I don't know about donations, but alot of us in our band really like #5 in the Red Christmas Praise Book, good old A Starry Night
  6. yeah calypso carol is ace! does anyone else know the numbers for carols or am i just a freak?!?
  7. andyp

andyp Active Member

No, me a freak too! Can do all popular ones in green and red books (that's what 6 carolling nights a year every year for 25+ years does for you!).
    Though our solo horn can beat me by a mile, he started in the Salvation Army, so he knows the lot, both carol books and the 450+ SA hymn book as well....
  8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

No, I'm just as sad!!! I know them all too! ;) :oops:

Number 36 is my favourite!! :biggrin:

9. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

My all time favorite has to be 108. the twelve days of christmas yeah!!!!!!!!!
  10. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Fed up with carols already!!

Having spent the past two days going through the little red book playing every one anyone in the band has actually heard of, and a few they haven't......I must admit that I like the Calypso carol the best but, for money, Jingle Bells at 100 (?) is the sure winner.
  11. Donkey Horn

Donkey Horn Member

As a horn player I love Ding Ding Merrily on High, but as for over all ensemble pieces I am very fond of several of the lesser played variety such as Sweet Chiming Christmas Bells (37 Green Bk), Praise ye the Lord (68 Green Bk) and the Green book arrangement of O Holy Night (69) is beautiful. We did it once with one to a part whilst accompanying a vocalist, real stirring stuff.

Have not been particularly impressed by some of the arrangments of christmas "popular" tunes such as Frosty the Snowman et al in the newer red books as not all of them seem to sound right but hey, such is the price of progress, right?
  12. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

sweet chiming christmas bells
  13. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I always had a soft spot for "Who is he", don't know why and still not sure who "he" is
  14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I love Coventry Carol, but the best busking tunes for the collectors are definitely Jingle Bells and Rudolph.
  15. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Caroline - yey!
  16. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

If you believe YBS, "He" was Stuart Derrick! I seem to remember he had a solo CD with that as it's title. Or at least that's what our old top man used to tell us every year. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong....)

Very nice carol too.

I love all the old medieval sounding ones, Coventry, Sussex, that kind of thing. But I do have fond memories of a trombone player, with a euphonium book (for a laugh) sawing away at the air in sweet chiming christmas bells, getting nowhere near the notes and reducing the ensemble to hysterics!
  17. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Like Ding Dong Merrily On High, obviously, but my favourites are the old ones, Coventry Carol, Sussex Carol, Boar's Head Carol. Can't abide Little Donkey or Little Drummer Boy. If I hear them my head starts spinning round and obscenities pour from my mouth in a scary bass voice.

18. julestools

julestools Active Member

Afraid I must be a freak too. After 35 years caroling I can do most numbers in green and red books and can play many bass lines from memory from the green book (better harmonies). Bass parts in red book can be a little boring. No 104, rudolf, goes down well although I never play as writ. :)

Cant remember what I did yesterday though :confused:

19. Steve

Steve Active Member

Silent night, just to hear how good the prima dona euph player is after hours of carolling!

I love coventry carol though, and jingle bells makes it all bareable.
  20. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

56 in the old green book for me - Softly The Night Is Sleeping ( I think)

Or Brightest and Best out of the green book. Cracking bass line when played on a G trombone.