Carnival of Animals

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubagod, Nov 17, 2008.

1. tubagod

tubagod Member

My band and i are thinking about doing Saint-saes Carnival of animals for a contest. can anyone recommend a arrangement of it?

i´ve had a look at the justmusic site, but couldnt get any wiser about the arrangements there.

can anybody help?`

Martin

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Carnival
    anyone
    arrangement
    animals
    Saint-saes Carnival
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Gordon Langford's arrangment is probably the best known.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You can buy it on the Just Music site here for £25.

5. tubagod

tubagod Member

well thought about that one.

but don´t want to shell 25£ for an arrangement i don´t know....

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Another thing to know about this arrangement is that, if I remember correctly, it's not the complete suite.

I. Marche Royale Du Lion
    II. Tortues
    III. L'Elephant
    IV. Fossiles
    VI. Finale

7. tubagod

tubagod Member

but they are split up in movements?

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

yup! (... but it's been quite a few years since I last saw it).

9. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

I have an arrangement of 3 movements - Fossils, The Swan (trombone/euph/bari solo) and the Finale. (www.jagrins.com and search in the catalogue). There is a sound clip and pdf of the front page on the site. I'm not sure if there is an arrangement of the whole suite printed anywhere, but my intention is to, at some point, arrange another 3 movement suite to go with this one. We also recorded Fossils with Leyland on our By Arrangement CD (http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/24773.html). Cheers.

10. TubaGeek

TubaGeek Member

The Elephant? That would be a lovely one to do for Tuba!

11. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

It's in the pile as a possible one for another suite. I know Peter Graham has done an arrangement of it which, I think, features the whole bass section!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Carnival
    anyone
    arrangement
    animals
    Saint-saes Carnival
  13. boagy

boagy Member

Yes he has Iain and yes it does!! ;)

14. Tub Thumper

Tub Thumper Member

Gordon Langford's arrangement is excellent (has most but not all parts of it e.g. aquarium is missing but then I'm not sure it would work for brass band?) and not too difficult. Used to be published by Chandos - not sure who publishes them now - maybe Studio? Some one like Banks in York will know who to contact (they recently got an old Chandos arrangement for me although it was expensive).

In addition, Peter Graham's arrangement of the Elephant is excellent (and again pretty straight forward) and it does feature all 4 basses (could be done with 1 Eb & Bb if necessary).

15. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

I'd echo what 'said before, Langford's scoring works very well...

16. daft lad

daft lad New Member

Rob

Would you care to elaborate why you think the scoring works very well? Do you know anything at all about writing scores?

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I don't know much about cooking a gourmet meal, but I hope I would be able to recognise its worth if presented with one!