Carnival - Comments?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WhatSharp?, Sep 26, 2006.

1. oddbod

oddbod Member

hah! - you must have been moonlighting with another section 2 band then Derek!... but kind comment noted...

2 weeks with no comments from me whatever you do (But not until after a week o'Sunday!)

ps, has anyone leaked that we are playing Carnival at Tameside?
    :pig .... oops

2. derekdawson

derekdawson Member

not sure what you meant about the moonlighting bit Keith, but I think the fact we got a 1st and a second from the two outings we did on Carnival proves my point

3. iancwilx

iancwilx Well-Known Member

I think Keith was just being modest in reaction to your praise Derek.
    You made him blush !
    - Wilkie

4. oddbod

oddbod Member

From 4BR

"...Helen Perkin's ‘Carnival' is not a great test for bands at this level. Take away the fact that it is horribly cheesy in many places, there is not enough substance within the music to really make players and MDs have to think hard about how they are going to approach the music...."

Ahem....

It's not cheesy... you wait 'til we get going on the Seekers!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  5. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

The ****** Seekers!!! if that comes out again this millenium I'm doing a Wilky and booking a weekend at Abergele!!!

6. MrsBucket

MrsBucket Member

A few of us would join you Steve !

7. oddbod

oddbod Member

So Chunky - no need for all the heated debate! - having to prove to people that you could dislike the choice yet still do your job. (I know how you felt!)

Well done to you and everyone at Cawston.. see you for a pint - September - in God's country - whatever the result.

And... I hope you're all having a good look through "The Best of the Seekers" for next year...

Keith

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  8. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Listened to it 3 times today...... 3 times too many!!!!

9. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Cheers Keith, job done! Could make many a smug remark here but too busy looking for hotels in Harrogate. Loved the result, loved the fact it got us promotion, but still hate the piece!

Look forward to meeting you and having a beer with you.

10. derekdawson

derekdawson Member

I realised that Wilky, but moonlighting?me?

11. oddbod

oddbod Member

Bye then folks... I've moved over to the Pontins 2007 test piece debate - not much happening - but I bet the Carnival bunch can warm it up! - see you all there?

>>>>>>
    Well, I wondered where I'd spend my nights now the Carnival thread has stalled due to the Areas being done with. ...

Hah! now I know... right here! - unless Section 2 is lucky and get's its own thread again...

Here goes:

We played through Chorale - for section 2 the other night - it's got about as much appeal as a road smash.

How's that for a nice, safe, middle of the road comment to open with?

12. andyfake

andyfake Member

Thinking back to the comments on the need for "popular" music to entertain the contest-going masses, could we get away with doing "Gunfight at the OK Chorale" instead?

13. iancwilx

Or "Bandnight at the Kippax Chorale"
    On the basis of one play through, I rather liked it.
    It appealed to the dark macabre ghoulish spirit that lurks within me!!
    Seriously, it was very reminiscent of "Seascapes" by the same composer.
    Complex, interesting, but not much fun.
    It's like when you are young and you are fatally attracted to a "lady" who you know is going to give you nothing but endless grief.
    You go ahead and make a play anyway.
    It's the fun of the chase and the mental jousting (Careful !) that spurs you on even, if you do end up in intensive care afterwards.
    Admit it lads, you've been there.
    OK, let me have it, I'm ready !!
    - Wilkie

14. oddbod

oddbod Member

I can only say Wilky, you are certainly wired up differently to me! - I did away with the potential for endless grief years ago - couldn't ever imagine having to share my tv remote now.

As for Chorale/Seascapes/Beacons etc... go on - sing me a few bars from memory.... or bring back Carnival.

15. iancwilx

I recall "Beacons" as a fine example of musical goat waste.
    I cannot recall one redeeming moment in that piece.
    Mind you, it was 17 years ago.
    Perhaps I have mellowed since then, I might like it now !

Any premonitions on the 2nd Section Finals piece ?
    - Wilkie

16. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I rather think "The Beacons" would be an excellent choice now that you mention it ... ;)