Carnival - Comments?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WhatSharp?, Sep 26, 2006.

1. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Le Roi D'Ys in 2nd section? are they going a bit mad?

2. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

is it because people complained about this years test piece that that have reverted back by the extremes the other way then?

3. Owen S

Owen S Member

Er. This is what we know in the trade as a "joke".

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

After all the discussions about "Carnival" I'm quite looking forward to catching a few performances at Stevenage on Saturday, either side of our rehearsal ;)

5. oddbod

oddbod Member

Hope you enjoy it Peter - one of the descriptions missing from our earlier debate that I've heard at least three judges since mention is - "Chamber Music" - probably why I don't appreciate it! - would rather be emptying me turn ups!

And yes Chunky... best of luck with it - let's hope we are both engaged in deep debate over the finals piece!

6. annieds

annieds Member

Hi all

The thread is 'Carnival' and I know that a lot of people don't like it, but there it is. It has to be done. The thing about being an entertainer is that one has to look as if one is having a good time so that the audience can have a good time. And we ARE entertainers, after all.
    Good luck to everyone playing this on Saturday, especially EPPING, Ware, EPPING, Fairlop and EPPING.

Annie

7. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I like your thinking!!! Can't wait to see what the numpties/those in the know come up with! Think we should start a campaign?? Seekers, seekers, seekers!!!!!!

8. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Yes, but it is over for some of us!!!! In more ways than one!! This is the thing with regional areas............ Some of us are done before others, so allow us to bask in the joy in at all being over, then join in when you are also free!!!!!!!!!!!!! FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Agree with you Annie that we have no choice, but the advantage of sitting at the back is I can look miserable and nobody can see me!

As for an audience, are we getting one this year in the gym?

10. annieds

annieds Member

But Chunky, they will feel your misery!

Annie;)

11. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Whoa there tiger, nobody is going to feel my misery!

If they do they should accept my generousity in my sharing it with them!

Or if they see me in the bar, afterwards they can help me with my recovery! :wink:

12. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Thanks Keith. I will certainly join a deep debate on the finals piece. Just can't be certain I will be playing it or not!

13. iancwilx

iancwilx Well-Known Member

I also thought my "Carnival was over" a week last Saturday at Bradford - dead, gone, finished.
    But not to be!
    There has not been a single day since the contest without the opening bars coming into my head - I even found myself humming it.
    It's driving me up the wall !!
    Is there no release from this dastardly piece ?
    ( Hey - That rhymes nicely !!)
    - Wilkie

14. MrsBucket

MrsBucket Member

me thinks you really did like the piece afterall Ian if it is still coming into your head.
    By the way the audience at our Club concert last Sunday cheered at the end of the third movement, seemed a good choice for that occasion , capacity audience too !!,, missed you...

15. derekdawson

derekdawson Member

I've been the same Wilky can't get it out of my head, just proves there is something to be found in any testpiece, just needs a good MD to find it, and transmit it to the players

16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I think two factors have come into play here.

1. We've all played it so many times some of it is bound to stick.
    2. Advertising jingles are not often good music, but they also have a 'hook' and that is what people remember.

Neither effect makes it good music.

I want a ceremonial burning.

17. iancwilx

iancwilx Well-Known Member

"Didee di Deee, Dee dee dididee, Di dee dididee, Dee dididee dee"
    Aaarghh !!!!!
    - ICW (Ian Carnival Wilkinson)

18. MrsBucket

MrsBucket Member

here here !!!!!!!!!!

19. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

dilly...piccadilly...

tweet, tweet, cuckoo..

20. oddbod

oddbod Member

A mate of mine at work gave me a box of free fag lighters, I'll bring them Mike