Carnival - Comments?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WhatSharp?, Sep 26, 2006.

1. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

At the end of the day we will be playing from parts which will be scored the same as the adjudicators score as I'm sure any mistakes that have been found will be released in a errata and corrected but even if they are not the score our conductors use will be exactly the same as the men in the box end of discussion

2. kensar

kensar Member

I think you are wrong Ian. My "spy" tells me that next years 2nd section piece is a specially commissioned work from Keith Wardle entitled "Symphony on One Note" and here is something really novel, each MD can choose his/her own note and each band have to provide their own adjudicator!! Everyone has to be happy at that ?

3. iancwilx

iancwilx Well-Known Member

Eureka ! Ken - The perfect solution.
    Although, knowing Mr W, for us, he would probably choose some diabolical note from an extreme of the musical spectrum which entailed 6 weeks of solid rehearsal frantically pulling and pushing slides, along with much waving of "Technolug" tuners !! (Only kidding Keith)
    - Wilky

4. Teflon1961

Teflon1961 Member

I'm starting to worry about my sanity, I posted on here earlier that I would sooner get in the bath with a toaster than rehearse/play Carnival... hate to admit it publicly, but I'm really getting to like the 2nd movement...

I still believe that the 1st and 3rd movements belong within a wet Sunday afternoon bandstand repertoire, somewhere between March of the Gladiators, Little Lisa and Cornflowers and Poppies, shallowly stereotyping a long forgotten Brass Band idiom...

hmmmm....

5. Flugelgeoff

Flugelgeoff Member

I have been reading this thread and take on board a lot of the points. As musical director of a band I want to suggest something. Why don't we help ourselves and create our own errata list. I would be happy to communicate by email the mistakes I have come across and am certain others will do the same. If you are interested in this idea say so and we can exchange email addresses. I apologise if this has already been suggested but if it has lets do it.
    Geoff Barber
    MD Norfolk Wherry Brass

6. oddbod

oddbod Member

Good point - and two years ago there were less people on the net - and the errata the judges were waving about that day in Yorkshire was only available on the net if I remember - it wasn't even official either...

7. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

8. oddbod

oddbod Member

Interesting comment Mike - I was a (Painfully) young conductor at Dinnington in 1981 - we were charged with playing Gareth Wood's "Introduction and Allegro" in section 3 while Section 2 played the simpler, more traditional "Introduction Elegy and Caprice" by Morley Calvert - many wondered for a long time about that. The Wood piece today would be a doddle - it wasn't the notes - it was the style! - Other than "Energy" or "Fireworks" much higher up the food chain, bands had just never had to contemplate some of the problems we faced.

So many people on here have said of Carnival "Beware the Traps" - but that's true in any piece. It's tough on conductors this one - many bands have players that can do everything asked of them in this piece - a lot of it really is back to - What flavour sauce do you want on your steak? - and the adjudicator's first response comes this Sunday at Derby where it's the set test for NEMBBA's contest, designed to provide member bands an opportunity to test their "Boiler plate" models... Here we go....

9. oddbod

oddbod Member

Hummm.. the score issued to me by our librarian is, fusty and covered in brown paper, has the unique smell of old brass band music and I assume is from 1957...

We find errors, but they don't take us anywhere near as long to correct as moaning about it does! - Mind you, I think our set cost £1.12s and 6d

10. AlanD

AlanD Member

I think making our own errata sheet is a great idea!

11. Alan MacRae

Alan MacRae Member

It will be interesting to see the results of this one. Are you going, Keith? Mind sharing your remarks if you are? Or any other bands?

12. JR

JR Member

sorry Keith it was 1979 not 81 (I'm sad at this)
    Intro and Allegro is one of the great neglected tests - doddle? - don't think so
    By the way - Kippax won on Intro, Elegy and Caprice - now that's a 2nd movement worth listening to...

John R

13. oddbod

oddbod Member

(Yes, sorry John.. all part of a distant past! - What I do remember clearly is that the CISWO qualifier's used the same tests at that time - we went to Sheffield as "No hopers" on paper - got there late, missed our No. 1 draw, all the other bands agreed to let us play... until we won! - so they all had another quick meeting and disqualified us a week later! Hahaha! - mind you, the band's treasurer had already managed to get the cup to the engravers even though we had to give the cash back!)

There's only Kippax and three other like minded bands taking advantage of this event Alan. It's really not my style to comment on results involving my own efforts - I just get on with the next one - I used to comment! - but after a letter to 4BR about three years ago I titled "Which old Far* mixed his papers up this time?" and my subsequent nickname - "Bitter & Twisted of 4BR"... I'm more careful!

As for the band's remarks - maybe andyfake, iancwilx, teflon1961 or someone may have something to say after Sunday at the Derby thread-

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26130

We just want to test out where we are with Carnival - I'm sure you'll agree - so much we don't hear stood at close range about the soundscape we've created.....

14. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

You don't have to carry on any mutes. Is that positive enough?

15. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Depends whether or not you're cheating to get the 'ppp' ...

16. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

We used bobble hats and panda pop bottles as well as silent brass mutes in "Tristan Encounters" the other year - and a fat lot of good that did us!

I think prefer au naturale myself!

17. The_Eighth_Dwarf

The_Eighth_Dwarf New Member

Picturing you in a bobblehat, ok yes can do that very amusing! Picturing you au naturale....no I'd rather not thank you!

18. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Personally I think what's wrong with the old stalwart Floral Dance? Or maybe the ironic 'New' Sullivan selection??

Just an idea...........?

19. oddbod

oddbod Member

I think Best of the Seekers makes sense, - because it has "The Carnival is Over".....

20. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

For you maybe! Still got till Saturday Keith!