Carnegie Dunfermline Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Moy, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Moy

Moy Active Member

Anyone got a list of competing bands?
  2. postie

postie Member

Yeah doesnt seem to be a list of bands on the website of the Fife Association.
  3. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

We pulled out but I know Kirkie are playing. It's now called The Fife Festival of Brass for some reason.
  4. Moy

Moy Active Member

Thanks Alex but decided not to bother taking the trip down anyway.
    Hope your all well down there in the Kingdom ;)
  5. wyldehorn

wyldehorn New Member

Does anyone know when/what the results are?
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Championship Section ... 1st Kirkintilloch 2nd Bo'ness & Carriden
    1st Section ... 1st Clackmannan 2nd Broxburn & Livingston 3rd Easington Colliery
    2nd Section ... :oops: (someone was yapping to me)
    3rd Section ... 1st Campbeltown
    4th Section ... 1st Stranraer 2nd Queensferry High School

(and I forgot to take a pen with me)
  7. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

I'm waiting on a phone call. Will post as soon as.
  8. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

So far I've scrambled -

Championship Section
    1st Kirkie
    2nd Bo'ness

1st Section
    1st Clackmannan
    2nd B & L
    3rd Easington

2nd Section

3rd Section
    1st Campbeltown
    2nd Coalburn
    3rd Dunfermline

4th Section
    1st Stranraer
    2nd Queensferry High School
  9. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

2nd Section result 1st Barrhead
    2nd Croy
    3rd Dalkeith and Monktonhall
    and Penicuik 3rd in 4th section.
    Great to see Nigel Boddice in action with Kirkie...such a musical and exciting performance.
  10. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

2nd Section
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Forgot to mention that Alan Fernie and Mike Marzella adjudicated the contest today! Error in programme ... Mike Marzella conducted Bo'ness today (Alan Fernie judged that section).

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  12. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Kirkie were fantastic! Really enjoyed their performance. Dunfermline's flugel player also won best soloist in 3rd section.
  13. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Well done to Barrhead in the second section!!!!!

Hope the 'beach' party was a sucess afterwards?
  14. Dave1

Dave1 Member

15. ignore me

ignore me Member

The beach party rocked!!!!!!

Highlight for me was Kirkie's performance of Malaguena - not heard that arrangement before and Steve Stewart was his usual mental self! Nice touch playing Pagannini before the results as well.
  16. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

We had to leave early and missed the results, but think Kirkie were just going on, pity cos was really wanting to see them doing one of my fav pieces, Pagannini!

I really enjoy this Dunfermline contest, great atmosphere, a good early draw and then into the bar to enjoy the light refreshments!!

Well, I just had 1 or 2 (pints of vodka & coke), just to be socialable.... aint that right Laura!!
  17. Harold.Wells

Harold.Wells Active Member

I agree with BbBill - Dunfermline was a great day out, and all brought to a brilliant climax with Kirkie's performance.

Steve Stewart won the instrumentalist prize in the Champ Section - if there had been a "visually entertaining prize" he would have won that too!

Andy McLean was on top form too - fantastically played solo (without music) with an amazing, unfaltering , long top A at the end - well done!
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Harold, what about your own band using a piper in your final piece?
  19. Harold.Wells

Harold.Wells Active Member

What are you trying to say about my pipes? ;)

Didn't really want to blow the pipes at the contest - it's ok for a concert programme, but my MD had arranged that piece specially to include the pipes and decided to run with it!

I hope that it wasn't too offensive on the ears? :confused:

The problem with using the pipes, as any piper will be aware, is that you have 4 reeds that are very susceptible to changes in air temperature and moisture content. You really need to blow the pipes for 5-10 minutes before then tuning them for a 'performance'.

If you then lay them down for 5 minutes the balance can all change, you don't know what you're going to be faced with! You can imagine then, that playing cornet for 10-12 minutes in a contest and then having to simply 'strike up' the pipes without any tuning-up whatsoever was, to put it mildly, a nightmare! :oops:
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  20. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Also agree with the comments about Stevie Stewart's performance, a young lad in front of me was totally in awe, it was great to see someone so young be completely mesmorised by his playing. G'wan!!

Also, I didn't think the bagpipes sounded that bad, mind you I was stood outside the hall.

A very worthwhile day out and well done to all who played.