Caravans and caravanners - opinions please

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bagpuss, Sep 12, 2003.

Caravans and caravanners. Love em, or BAN em??

1. I think caravans are wonderful and caravanners are even better.

2. I think caravans should be banned outright and anyone seeing one should be legally able to smash it

3. I have no opinion

1. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Having just posted to Blondie's get well soon thread, I suddenly got to thinking of an interesting if controversial poll we could have here on tMP.

So here it is:-

Caravans and caravanners - love em..........or BAN EM???????????

Opinions please and also possible guesses before a flame war is started on this thread!!!!

B. Puss esq
  2. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

..i am a dedicated camper and go most weekends. however i use a tent. i think that caravans are cheating. it makes me laugh when i see a caravan turn up and it looks like they've moved house.
    it makes me laugh even more when they put their sky dishes up and stay in the caravan with the curtains closed every night. i can't help wondering why they don't just stay at home
    ..and most caravan owners could do with driving lessons and learn to realise that driving around small country lanes with half a house strapped to the back, is not the same as legging it into town in their fiestas!
    ..ok rant over!
  3. twigglet

twigglet Member

Caravans and caravanners are all good when stationary but I agree that when travelling they can be very dangerous. Only a few weeks ago an elderley gentleman was knocked down outside the pub that I work at because of someone towing a caravan and not using their mirrors (luckily he is ok now)

I don't know if you have to have one, but perhaps there should be a caravan towing test??? I know that now you have to have one to tow a trailer if you passed your test after a certain date, so surely you should to tow a caravan. There may already be one, correct me if I'm wrong..... just my innane ramblings :wink:
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Always been caravanning since I was a kid...
    Nothing wrong with caravans... it's the drivers! If drivers don't know how to treat a caravan, dont use the mirrors, dont know lane disapplin, and dont know the speeds etc etc, then thats when all the accidents start to happen...
  5. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I think the government has overlooked a nice little 'money earner' here. If they applied a 'Caravan' Tax as they do with cars, they could leave Booze and Ciggies alone in the next budget. Let's be honest they take up twice as much space so why not pay twice as much tax.

Only a thought! :roll:

6. Cornishwomble

i have recollections as a kid growing up in Cornwall when the roads were smaller and worse than they are now. every summer used to be a nightmare of being stuck behind caravans on the way back from the beach. it was worse than the tractors.
  7. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Absolutely agree with you Roger, lorries have to pay a huge amount of road tax etc because of their size so why not people who own/tow caravans.

When you think of it, caravanners are getting off lightly, they only pay tax for their car (caravans are about the same size as a car so why not pay more tax?) They don't have to pay tax to live in them (as far as I know, no council tax in a caravan). A caravan does not have to be MOT'd (correct me if I'm wrong) so can be completely unroadworthy.

On the downside to being a caravanner, it appears (judging by EVERY caravanner I've met on the roads), that you have to have at least a partial lobotomy to tow a caravan and be a caravanner, you have to forget everything you were ever taught about driving and have to go out of your way to be annoying to every other road user. Even tractors aren't THAT annoying!!!!!

Flame on!!

8. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

John's thinking about buying a caravan Daz!

:lol: :lol:
  9. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

10. Naomi McFadyen

maybe cos people like to get away from home... in which they've probably left 3 screaming kids, the huge barking dog, the mother-in-law and the noisy neighbours behind :wink:
  11. Cornishwomble

..ah but that's just it, they bring them along with them and let them maraude outside making the campsite look like a scene from "Snatch". In fact on more than one occasion I've nervously looked around waiting for a Brad Pitt lookalike to ask me if I want to buy a "Dag" :?
  12. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

The new trailer test does include caravans, and any other type of trailer weighing more than 750kg. The problem is, it does nothing about the huge number of appalling drivers already out there who have the trailer entitlement. Since most caravan owners tend to be older people, it'll be quite a few years before we see the effects of the new licencing rules. Until then, I agree with mr. puss. In fact, it could provide useful employment for redundant hounds if the fox hunting ban goes through
  13. JessopSmythe

Absolutely true, infact, lorry owners also have to pay tax on their trailers as well as the tractor unit and submit them vehicle inspectorate testing every 6-12 weeks. Not to mention the costs of applying for an operators licence in the first place. Lets start a tMP petition.

14. Naomi McFadyen

Nooooo... we want less tax on EVERYTHING!!
  15. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

nyer nyer nyer, who just got his HGV and knows everything there is to know about trucks, trailers and tows?

Caravans are only cool if they are towed behind an enormous Goldwing, and even that's debatable.
    They are also cool if made of camels and carry spices of the mysterious east.

BMB. Who much prefers to loiter within tent. :twisted:
  16. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I love my caravan and use it regularly. I must admit though I don't have any electric in my van and I refuse to get it installed. It wouldn't be like camping if I did. Although caravans don't have to have an mot they must be roadworthy. Anyone caught towing an 'unroadworthy' caravan can be prosecuted. I suppose all you people who want caravans banned have no intention of coming on our tmp camping and caravanning weekend next year? (details will be posted in the New Year and a Poll taken to see which site people want to go to.)
  17. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

Hmmmmm, excuse me if I don't see the link here: Blondie, get well and caravans?
    i may get confused easily but i think this is justified.

However in response to your'interesting if contoversial poll' I don't have a problem with caravans although I'd much rather camp out. Although if, or more positively when, I pass my driving test I may have a different view on them!
  18. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Well up for this! :D
    Can I suggest Shell Island in North Wales? Bit of a hike for some people but enormous site in which entire tMP could be lost without trace.
    Although have strange voice in my head (must get that seen to) saying they don't allow caravans, only camper vans and tents. Hmmm. :roll:

I guess somewhere fairly central is best, and I personally would vote for somewhere quite remote where we can make us own entertainment.
  19. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Somewhere remote where you can ceremonially sacrifice caravans????
    Somewhere remote so you can build a medieval trebuchet (see one of the Jeremy Clarkson videos for sizes etc) and launch caravans into oblivion??

That I would pay to see!!!!

Puss puss
  20. JessopSmythe

Sounds perfect :D