Car Trouble!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ginge, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Ginge

Ginge Member

For some reason, my little car seems to be making a rattling noise. Sounds like it's coming from the engine. Not all the time, just when pulling away and in slower gears. Any ideas?

I'll obviously get it checked out properly, but just wondered whether anyone could give me an idea of the problem.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    cough cough splutter splutter
    Car Trouble
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Ah, sounds like you have a case of cumbustionenginicus deadannoyingrattleus.

Turn the stereo up!

(Sorry but I know two things about engines...nothing and b*gger all! :-?

4. Ginge

Ginge Member

Same as me then!

I generally do have my music up quite loud. Nothing like a bit of brass band music blasting out! :lol: Could have been rattling for a while now, just have never heard it!

5. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Stavanger perchance?

Get yourself a new car. The clapped out Fiesta is cramping your style!!

Igg

6. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Nah just get it checked before your next mot

7. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

just get it checked before your mot, but its rather sooner than later

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

How long you had it?
    What reg is it?
    and did you have it serviced after you got it? (if not.. tut tut tut)
    My initial reaction to seeing this thread was to just take it to a garage and get it seen to! and get a newer car... always works out cheaper in the long run... as I've found out ;-)

:-D

9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Could just be the tappitts doing their job. Tappits = Rocker Arms IIRC - A google search will no doubt assist.

Will the Unmechanical

10. Despot

Despot Member

I have a vague memory of something similar happening before my timing belt went. Could be gearbox.

If it's an older car, might be time for a new one!

11. Ginge

Ginge Member

It's an N reg. Not very old, but getting on!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    cough cough splutter splutter
    Car Trouble
  13. Ginge

Ginge Member

Haven't played that for a while actually! Gone for Alex Kerwin and Peter Roberts of late!

Clapped out?! :shock: It's not that bad!

14. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Definitely knocking, not squealing? Squealing on take-off means dicky fan-belt. Could be timing belt or something loose in the gearbox.
    Sort out soon, rather than late, these things have a habit of becoming more expensive the more you leave them. I know I spent £1200 on a complete lemon last year before EvilDaddyBadger let me scrap the wretched thing.

BMB
    xx

15. Jamie

Jamie Member

I think you'll find, Ginge, that it's your shoddy driving that's done it! Betty is old, decrepid, falling apart oh sooo slowly, and a weeee bit rusty, but she's hardcore! (Until I put her up the backside of someone else...!) She's still going because, 'I'm a laydee!' ('See what I did there?!') and laydees do it best!! Try putting oil in it...!!

And Igg... wheres this style it's supposed to be cramping?! Teehee! ;)

16. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

The CVH engine in those old Fiestas was built with rattly tappets. They'll probably carry on rattling away happily to themselves for another 100,000 miles. Unless it's really loud or you start to actually feel vibrations coming through the floor or the steering wheel I wouldn't worry too much. It's a characteristic of that engine.

17. Ginge

Ginge Member

Well, It's worse than i thought!
    I Found out earlier that it needs a complete new engine! :shock:
    Apparently it was starved of oil once, which did it. Although when they checked the oil earlier it was on the maximum! :-? The oil light now doesn't work, although i know it did a couple of weeks ago.
    Weird...
    That's going to cost me a bit either way! :-(
    New car? or get new engine fitted?
    hmmm...

18. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

New car

Something like an Austin Allegro, Bogey Green colour is nice

As for Ginge's stylee Jamie, rumour has it that it worked on certain horn player at Skegness!!!!

Cannot comment further!

Igg

19. Ginge

Ginge Member

no comment.

20. Jamie

Jamie Member

I'd rather not think about that...

Wise move...

Whatever you do though (about the car that is... not particular horn players), don't get your insurance company involved... one little hint that I might have 'struck' another vehicle, and they more than doubled my premium....! :shock:

21. HBB

HBB Active Member

Roumers!

Wow!!

Rumours even :p

22. Ginge

Ginge Member

Close enough.