Car repair - what are my consumer rights?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by hicks, Mar 6, 2008.

1. hicks

hicks Member

Suppose I take my car into a garage for repair. They claim to have fixed it, and I hand over my hard earned cash. Then suppose that after 2 or 3 weeks the problem re-occurs. What protection in law do I have, to make the garage work on the car again? Is there a standard warranty they have to honour on their repair work? What are my basic rights as a consumer?

2. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

I'd say it was unfit for purpose after repair, but im fairly sure that there is a law about unsatisfactory repairs and service, especially for motor vehicles, just take it back and complain. If they refuse to correct it threaten them with small claims, it usually kicks them into action

3. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Take it to VOSA, and they'll inspect your car and the repair and investigate the garage!

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Warranties are issued by car manufacturers, not garages. If the car is new and still within its warranty period, an official dealer will be obliged to fix it at no cost, I would imagine.

However, for chapter and verse on this matter, a good person to ask can be found here (try the FAQ's before you email):

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/

5. on_castors

on_castors Member

Talk to the Consumer advice section, usually within Trading Standards Departments of whichever County, Metropolitan or Unitary Authority you live in... they may even have a web site.

It doesn't mean you have to get bogged down with legal exchanges, just they may well be able to give some practical routes to go down, and if nothing else, it means when you approach the Garage, you will know where you stand and it makes you more confident in dealing with them.

6. jamieow

jamieow Member

All depends on how old the car is and how long you've had it...I'm in the middle of getting a refund off BMW for a similar prob...
    I bought a 320i M Sport coupe 57 reg - (the new shape one) and collected it from Williams Liverpool on 1st Sept - between then and end of Jan it's had 3 injectors replaced, the ECU reprogrammed 3 times, the steering rack replaced and a nitrous oxide sensor replaced - all under warranty of course.
    I've paid for a car that hasn't 'done what it said on the tin' as it were...
    My point to them was that these repairs are extraordinary given that the car was at the time of most of the repairs 3 months old - I found, after internet searching that if a car is less that 6 months old, you are legally entitled to reject it - the onus is on the manufacturer to prove the fault wasn't there at the point of sale - called the reversed burden of proof I think.
    Yes BMW have repaired it, but it breaks again - hence - lost faith in car and BMW, not fit for purpose - sale and supply of goods act 1973...blah blah......sent a few letters,
    they finally offered me a replacement vehicle (2 months after I initially requested one - they initially sent me a sh1tty letter saying no), after that the car broke again so I lost faith in BMW too. I'm finally getting a bit more than 2/3rds of what I've paid back and they'll be collecting the car from me - it's been sat on my drive for 3 wks awaiting a mutual agreement!

Have a look at the honest john website - it helped me...though I did have to threaten that I'd take them to court and there's plenty of case law showing the manufacturer paying out.....they rang me offering more money as they didn't want to go to court.

Good luck......and stay away from BMW!!
    I'm going for an Audi A5 I think.....

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  7. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Tell me about it. My water pump expired last night, causing the engine to over-heat which subsequently caused the fan belt to snap!

I fancy another Golf, brand new GTI this time methinks

8. millie6589

millie6589 Member

i'm in the process of trying to get my car sorted out, the warrenty will run out soon and i'm getting every excuse in the book of why they can't look at it, the guy who is in charge of repairs doesn't seem to actually work there, or he has an awful lot of holidays....

9. omega56

omega56 Member

Should have stuck to that lovely little VW polo that your Dad looked after for you !

does your new car have air-con by the way?
    oops sorry