Car Insurance for your Kids

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BigHorn, Feb 27, 2007.

1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

My soon to be 17 year old daughter will soon be begging for driving lessons and for me to put her on my car insurance.:-?
    Anybody got any experience of how much its going to cost me.

I have a 1.8 Picasso. Would it be cheaper to buy a small old banger for her to learn in or add her to the Picasso.

I have no idea how much lessons are these days - but have heard insurance rates are frighteningly high.:eek:
  2. Di

Di Active Member

Ha! I'm right with you there today!

Vicki has turned 17 today and as we speak, has just run out the door to her very first driving lesson! I had a quote to insure my Hyundai Amica for her to drive. It currently costs me approx £228 per year. I was told that to insure her for the few months between today and end of October when my policy is due for renewal would be an EXTRA £364! :eek:
  3. jamieow

jamieow Member

I went on my parent's insurance at 17 when learning - at the time I was insured on a 2.0L Cavalier Diplomat - roughly cost around £10 extra a month. Great for csot but I wasn't builing up my pwn insurance histroy etc and no claims.
    I got my own insurance when I bought my own car when I was 21 (2002) - 1999 Golf 1.4e - was about £600 a year.
    I suppose there are arguments for and against putting her on yours. Arguments for who gets the car when she passes, damage to the car, what happens if she has a bump in it whilst learning etc. Then there's the cost of running a car - insurance, unless the car goes in say your name and she's a named driver on a cheaper 'banger', though then there's repairs etc on an older car.
  4. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Benefits of getting a banger would be only needing 3rd Party F&T cover - that would save you some cash.
    My parents bought a bit of a banger as an extra car that me and my sisters used as we reached 17 - but that was worthwhile as there were 3 of us. They had an "any driver" policy. If you had other younger children it might be a good idea.
  5. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

well going back 25 years i brought a mini 850 my first car TPFT cost £140.00 i thought that was expensive for T reg even then but bu modern day its quite cheap
    Our gaffer brought his son a ford fiesta 2nd hand 1.4 when he passed his test but said he had to insure it himself came back for fully comp
    £800.00 TPFT£650.00
  6. Insurance is expensive for youngsters - but that's because statistically they have more accidents. If your child was unfortunate enough to be one of these statistics, would you prefer them to be in an "old banger" or a modern, safer car with air bags etc?

After much searching on the internet we bought insurance through Norwich Union for my son in his own name so that he can get his own "no claim" bonus - still costs a fortune though!
  7. NeilW

NeilW Member

(happy birthday to Vicki, by the way!)

I too will be looking for this in a couple of months....

I agree with the comments about compromising cost and safety....

I've looked at the Euro-NCAP ratings of small cars and it looks like a post-96 Polo 1.0 might be a reasonable compromise: low insurance group but 3* safety rating and a reasonable number around so the cost isn't too prohibitive - probably £1000+ though.... Lupos, the baby Toyota, and various badge varients of same from Skoda, Seat etc are better safety rating (4*), but cost substantially more.

I've actually got a car insurance policy that I let lapse less than 2 years ago - and it had full NCB.... So I'll be asking them if I can resurrect it and possibly transfer the NCB (I did that for my wife when she got a car, and had a company car at the time).

What seems funny is that its cheaper to insure a learner, than when they pass their test (maybe the insurance co think parents will be able to control the urge to drive dangerously - something my mum never mastered and my dad always said both my mum and I drove far too fast :) )

I think committing to low milage is also a way of reducing the premium...

I've got about 6 weeks to think about it, however, before his lordship turns 17...

8. TinklePipe

TinklePipe New Member

Car insurance

You might want to check out I've found it to be very good at getting the best prices for both my, the wife and my fathers car insurance lately.

Basically you only have to enter details once and it scans the major insurers for the best deals, if it doesn't show up in the results try Post Office (currently offering £50 cashback) Using these sites I just saved £50 today on my dads renewal, £70 last month on my wifes and £100 on mine a while ago.

Play one company off against the other as well, you'd be surprised how much they will fight for your business, that's how I saved over £100 on my own.

Don't think having kids (young drivers) will make a difference to the principle of competing for your business. No doubt it does increase your premium but never take the first quote.

Also cheaper cars to consider in terms of insurance and overall running and reliability for younger drivers include Nissan Micra or Almera, Toyota Yaris or Corrolla & Skoda Fabia (if badge snobbery is not an issue).

Hope you all get sorted only another 12 yrs to go before I get the same headache!

9. Di

Di Active Member

Noooooooo!! I've been holding out, hoping that the cost'd go DOWN after passing the test! :eek:
    I've been told I was lucky with that one. I rang my insurance company to tell them that my annual mileage was increasing significantly and he told me that my policy was taken out before that ruling came into effect so it doesn't matter how many miles I do. :biggrin:
  10. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Once a youngster has passed their test, it is worthwhile taking the Pass Plus course. Not only does it give supervised experience of motorway driving, insurers will tend to give a discount roughly equivalent to a one year NCD.

When considering insurance for youngsters, don't forget the compulsory £400 (at least) excess!
  11. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Just been on as suggested.
    Cheapest quote is with swiftcover for £668 with a £500 excess. Next cheapest is Admiral for £755 with excess of £410 - this is a better policy and company so will probably go with this if my present insurer Direct Line cant match it.
    After those 2 the next cheapest is nearly £1100 - most of the 'big boys' don't want to know. Swinton want nearly £1500

So like you too Di I am looking at more than doubling my present premium. I hope these kids will remember all this money thrown at them and support us in our old age. I suspect however mine will still be loathe to help around the house, tidy her bedroom or do the washing-up. Who'd be a parent eh? we must all be mad.
  12. on_castors

on_castors Member

Whatever the cost... avoid BUDGET (and you do need to check WHICH company you are actually getting a quote FROM when you use, some of the quotes are from brokers, who will quote from many different companies and it is only when you delve into the quote that you find out WHO is actually underwriting a particular policy)

Never had a claim, so God alone knows how claimants get on; but on a simple matter of changing car I was ripped off big time by Budget - robbed of several weeks of cover when the policy was actually cancelled, I was abused by call centre staff, they lied on calls, and ignored instructions in writing, after many months eventually it all became not worth the effort in pursuing further - but all in all I was lead a merry dance. No quote from them is low enough, and they currently head the small but select list of "never again" companies I have had major problems with who I will forever spread the word about!
  13. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

When I moved home from uni last year (aged 21) I decided to get my own car as it just wouldn't be practical to share with my parents. We looked at too ( is another along the same lines). Not sure how much time it saved us though as we tried varying combinations of me and my mum as either policy holder or named driver etc. Strangely, it worked out cheaper for the policy to be in my name and have mum as named driver, which took off about £200 from the premium! According to the company (Diamond) lots of insurers are getting wise to parents putting policies in their name for their children to drive so it's not a cheaper option any more. I've got a Daewoo Matiz and it's costing me around £560 fully comp with a not too bad £150 excess.

When I came home for the summer between my 2nd and 3rd years, it cost around £30 a month to add me to my parents' policy for their VW Passat, but the downside was the £500 excess! Especially when I bumped it... Luckily the other car didn't end up pursuing the clain and we decided we could live with the dent :-?
  14. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Another thing to be aware of when using sites like is that when you see a list of quotes, they assume certain things. When you then get a detailed quote they can be quite different figures.
  15. jmb83

jmb83 Member

Try LloydsTSB for car insurance,
    I'm still on 'L's but last year when i bought my current motor they saved me a fourtune.
    My first car was a Rover 214SLi - fairly powerfull for its weight and spun up easily. I had it insured, with me as first driver to get the no-claims building up, with Churchill and it cost just over £1000 TPFT. But it was park on the road in a not great area for car thefts etc.
    Anyway, to cut the story down a bit:
    When I got my 'new' car last year, a 95 Skoda Favorit 1.3l GTEi Estate Churchill wanted £1300 (with £350 volentary excess) just for third party, even though it's a smaller engine and lower 'desirability' for stealing, because they refused to agree that I had a years no claims with them. Even then the discount would only have been 20% from them.
    I looked around and got a couple of quotes even higher, then I looked at Lloyds. they accepted the no-claims with a 35% discount and for fully comp they only charged me £672 with no excess other than the standard compulsary ones for my age/experience etc.
    this year with another yrs no claims it's dropped to £550
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  16. very good for young drivers and 1st timers ! come and see me on friday at band will tell you more mate

Eb bass
    Carlton Brass
  17. on_castors

on_castors Member

Very true. I have even found some unwilling to quote online when you start to fill in the body of the information they REALLY need!
  18. gateway

gateway New Member

When our son passed his test, our insurer would only give a discount for the PASS PLUS if the car was insured in his name, as he was on the wife's insurance it had no benfit so I would advise checking.
  19. ChrisLee

ChrisLee New Member

I'm 19 now, just recently been driving for 2 years. This is what I did/paid.

While aged 16, start saving as much as possible! I earned a few quid teaching members of the junior band, and while still too young too drink, i had nothing to spend my money on.

The provisional liscence cost around £30 i reckon. 20 lessons, the sensible minimum, at £20 each, soon adds up, so make sure they pass every test first time! The theory test costs about £40ish, and the driving test will cost slightly more again. Just don't fail!

In relation to being insured to drive a parent's car while learning, i wouldn't bother. More time is spent learning the new controls than learning driving skill. Jumping from my teacher's new Megane to my mum's Metro was quite a shock, and was a waste of alot of money.

Do the Pass Plus exam, if possible!
    I bought a 1992 VW Polo when i passed. After completing the Pass Plus exam, costing about £100, the insurance quote was halved from £1400 to £700. Nearly a bargain...

Hope this has been some help
  20. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Must admit I found "confused" quite good. Our quotes ranged from £350 to £1200 so quite a big leap. When I went onto the cheapest one and gave the extra info the cost did rise to £398 but still by far the cheapest option for us