Car Horns...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BrianT, Jun 12, 2006.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

When I hear a car horn playing a minor third, say E and G, I mentally add the low C to make a C major chord. But I could just as easily add the higher B to make an E minor chord. Or some other note and make a more exotic chord.

So when you hear those two notes, do you mentally turn it into a major chord or a minor chord, or something else? What does this say about you?

BrianT

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm sorry to say I find myself doing the same with door-bell chimes when collecting door to door :oops:

3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

:eek: I'm worried. I can't remember ever giving it a second thought. Does that make me weird, or you? :tongue: ;)

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I'd add the bottom C and the higher B to make one of the best souding chords there is... a Major 7th

5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Well it make you the same as me. Whatever that means. ;)

6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

It makes me.......................... get out of the road!!

You people need to step away from your instruments and get out more. ;)

7. dyl

dyl Active Member

hehe - me too! A car horn for me means either someone is saying hello, I need to move out of the way, or I need to wake up. :oops:

8. Key2207

Key2207 Member

Can't say that when I hear a car horn I add notes to make a chord. When I hear a car horn it usually means someones taxi has arrived, I'm about to get run over or someone is saying hi!!

One question though, how do you know which note is being 'played' on the car horn??!! :confused: ;) :p

9. TheMusicMan

Either by

(1) if a dual-note car horn - by listening to and determining the relative interval(s) between the notes or
    (2) if one is so fortunate to have been gifted with perfect pitch, using that to identify the exact pitch of the notes or chord being sounded

Hows that?

10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I carry a tuning fork around with me specifically to work out what pitch the car horn is at ;) Maybe you should do the same? :biggrin:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    car horn
    third
    B
    E
    C
  12. Key2207

Key2207 Member

Thanks John, next time i'm lucky enough to hear a car horn I will listen out!! :rolleyes: I've never been very good at intervals and all that stuff though....

But as I am gifted with perfect pitch ;) I will have no problem in indentifying the chords hahaha

13. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

It's a good job you wasn't born when pit hooters used to call the men to work!! They might have sent u loopy........especially if there were three pits in the valley as there were when I was a youngster

14. TheMusicMan

My tuning fork is in my head...;) I am one of the lucky ones.

15. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Ditto :biggrin:
    :lol:

16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I think I'd dispute that actually. If you have perfect pitch you spend your time transposing / suffering when people are playing out of pitch! ;)

17. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Well if nothing else it will give you something nice to occupy your mind as you go smashing face first through the blokes windscreen I suppose.

Determining the note/interval?!?!? What are you people on??? Get out of the way of the car first you great big freaks! :tongue: :rolleyes:

18. flower girl

flower girl Member

i find my self doing the same thing with train horns. its not such a bad habit until you find your self analysing everything you hear!!!

19. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

I don't have perfect pitch yet this makes me cringe!

20. Di

Di Active Member

Finally, a person I would feel priviledged to lose my saddo award to. :biggrin::tongue:;)

21. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Oh, I think your Saddo award is already spoken for Di. Take a look at the post count here! And that is a declining figure - it peaked at a smidgin under 50!! :eek:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    car horn
    third
    B
    E
    C