Cancelled Competitions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by flugeldude666, Oct 14, 2006.

1. flugeldude666

flugeldude666 Member

this is sad. when you work up to a competition and then it is cancelled. you buy new music for it, plan extra rehersals and spend time thinking about it and practising the music and techniques you are going to use. then the whole thing you work for is called off because there aren't enough bands in it or something stupid like that. Ive just found out that Youth In Brass which we have been working up to has been cancelled, the day before, because someone pulled out. leaves a sour taste in the mouth for everyone who was involved because they cant display what they have been working for for the last 2 months or so.

what a partial waste of time. anyone agree?

2. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Definatley, My band were werking towards a contest in Seaham this year but it was cancelled the week before. We lost money in Conductors fees and the purchase of Land of the Long White Cloud

3. flugeldude666

flugeldude666 Member

we didnt lose money but we bought pieces specifically for it like dear lord and father of mankind and lark in the clear air. so our soloist, now i tihnk about it, must be incredibly annoyed.

4. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Yeah we had bought Paganini Variations and booked deps and a conductor for a concert that was susequently cancelled last year. I think that was in Seaham as well actually! We had to honour payments to conductors and deps as they'd susequently turned down other work. The band were gutted as we'd been looking forward to playing Paganini as well.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I wonder what can be done to minimise loss to bands in this situation? Should bands commit their participation in a contest up to a certain date so that the event can be evaluated in good time? Late withdrawals should be outlawed in my opinion, whatever reasons are given.

6. flugeldude666

flugeldude666 Member

Maybe they could do a returnable deposit system.
    like 10% of the prize money on offer or something if they take part.
    but if they pull out they lose it

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Some contests do have a refundable deposit system.

It is annoying when this happens, but I guess just as bad for the contest organisers who have booked venues and adjudicators. Not sure what would happen in the case of an adjudicator, but a late cancellation would almost certainly mean losing most if not all of the money put up to book the venue. At least you can play the music you have bought somewhere else!