Cancellation of JJB March & Hymn Tune Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by markyboy, Apr 30, 2006.

1. markyboy

markyboy Member

Hi Everyone.
    Just had a phone call from a very dissapointed Frank Hodges to tell me that the JJB Sports March and Hymn Contest on 4th June has been cancelled due to the sponsor withdrawing.

Frank took the time to ring me in person for which I'm very grateful, he also assured me that all bands that had entered would receive their entry fee back.
  2. markyboy

markyboy Member

Also if I may point out, Frank has got about 30 secretaries to ring and have a 10 minute or so chat with, so if you've read it here first before he has spoken to you, my apologies for 'stealing his thunder'.

I haven't been to this contest before and was looking forward to going this year.

Withdrawing sponsorship 5 weeks before the contest is a bit of a let down.
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Is there a reason (I assume) JJB pulled out of sponsoring the event? Was there no contract in place that may have covered early withdrawal of sponsors...?

It's not good when this happens, and would be nice to ascertain why. I may contact Frank personally.
  4. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Both myself and Rach are gutted that this contest has been cancelled, this is the first weekend that we are back in the UK and were looking forward to listenting to a few bands and having a few :guiness with friends. It was a great day out last year!
  5. markyboy

markyboy Member

The phone call I had was only a few minutes long to tell me the facts not go through all the reasons. He did have a lot of other people to ring as well and tell the same thing over and over again.

The reason I decided to make it public here was to inform potential audience members and competing players of whom there will be about 750.
  6. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Gutted, I was so looking forward to doing this and defending the title!

Does this mean we keep the trophy?
  7. Proper Bo!

Proper Bo! New Member

is JJB march contest off??

i have heard some news that jjb march contest is off! does anyone no if its true??
  8. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Is this confirmed? I don't think we've heard yet.
  9. Yep, Heard it from the horse's mouth last night (oops, sorry Frank! Will know if you've read this if you call me Neddy though).
  10. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Yeh, (although they were not return trophies anyway)
  11. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

This is disappointing. Don't think we were going this year but I'd have gone along for a listen, a pie and a pint (or eight).
  12. Ali

Ali Member

I imagine that the reason that Dave Whelan pulled out of sponsoring the contest was due to the large amounts of money that he threw into the contest and the lack of support that the contest got, especially from the people of Wigan. It was free to get in and to be fair, the audiance numbers were'nt great. I don't think that it was bad but Mr Whelan obviously thought that it wasnt worth persuing anymore. Mr Whelan is a very shrewd business man and an obvious brass band fan, and when something isnt going right he knows when to pull the plug. Look at the sponsorship deal that he had with JJB Leyland. Just my opinion.
  13. JSEMusic

JSEMusic New Member

Cancellation of JJB March & Hymn Tune Contest - Your views

Following the official announcement yesterday that the JJB Contest in Wigan has been cancelled, one of the Pilling Junior Band parents has written to Matt McCann (the Head of Communications & Media at the JJB Stadium) to express her disappointment at the contest sponsorship being withdrawn.

I think it is worthwhile to provide a copy of this letter.

From a personal perspective, this occasion was to be Pilling Junior Band's first ever contest and we have been planning to enter it since I attended the event last year. I felt it provided a great opportunity for Youth Bands (like us) to play alongside Championship Section Bands (such as Leyland) and I couldn't think of a better place to start contesting.

As it states in the letter, we have been attending extra rehearsals, fund-raising, arranging masterclasses and had even gained sponsorship for the day (big thanks go to Shawn Pagington and Virtuosi). The children have been getting really excited and I am not looking forward to the task of having to the break the news to them that the contest has been cancelled.

I'm sure that we will bounce back from this and find another "first contest" to enter however this doesn't ease the disappointment that we all feel at the present.

I urge other bands to contact the JJB Stadium. I'm sure this won't reinstate the contest, but it will serve to show the JJB what an impact withdrawing sponsorship has had.

The e-mail address we have used to contact the JJB is

John Squires-Evans
    MD Pilling Junior Band

Copy of parent's letter
    Dear Mr McCann
    Please take the time to read this email.
    Having just read the short press release regarding the cancellation of the JJB March and Hymn Tune Contest scheduled for 4th June 2006, I feel compelled to write to express my dismay and disappointment.
    This contest is not simply about adults in brass bands who can move on to the next contest, there is a Youth Competition here as well.
    Children as young as six years old have been practising and looking forward to this event. As a band we have obtained sponsorship for the day, arranged coach transport and booked guest conductors and workshops to give our children every chance of competing to the best of their ability. We may not win, but that is not what the day is about. We have a detailed rehearsal schedule with the children and adult helpers giving their time and energy to practice up to three times a week. The children have been working so hard and looking forward to their moment in the spotlight and a chance to see the dressing rooms where their Premiership football heroes wait to go on to the pitch. They would love a chance to perform, just like their heroes.
    There are indeed financial implications for the band as transport would need to be cancelled and payments to guest conductors still need to be honoured etc. but, above all, the children will be devastated, and believe me that is not too strong a phrase. They have been let down, in their eyes let down by Wigan and the JJB as that is how they have perceived the whole build up to this event.
    I would ask whoever is responsible for the decision to withdraw sponsorship, whether this be Mr Whelan or not, and for whatever reason, to please reconsider and get this competition back on the calendar as soon as possible for the benefit of all concerned and to preserve the image of Wigan and JJB with the players, families, friends and supporters of all the bands who have entered this contest.
    Whilst appreciating this may not be your specific area of jurisdiction, I should be obliged if you forward this email to the relevant individuals.
    Thanking you in anticipation of your understanding and cooperation in this matter.
  14. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Any reply from Mr McCann yet John...?
  15. the flugel

the flugel Account Suspended

Righto, I would just like to clarify to all the bands poeple out there who keep ringing members of our band to ask - NO PEMBERTON OLD WIGAN JJB BAND HAVE NOT LOST THEIR SPONSORSHIP!!! neither has the cancellation of the contest got anything to do with us. I realise this has not actually been mentioned on the here, but I figured this was the best way to tell people.

Also, if anybody wishes to complain I would get in contact with the stadium manager - not Matt Macan. Not sure of the guys name right now but I will find out
  16. the flugel

the flugel Account Suspended

the guy to complain to is :
    Benkt Persson
    Stadium General Manager

Tel: 01942 770418
    The JJB Stadium
    Loire Drive
    Robin Park
    Wigan WN5 OUH

I think its about time the brass band world stood up for itself don't you??!!!
  17. JSEMusic

JSEMusic New Member

No reply from Mr McCann. Will keep you posted if we hear anything.
    I am going to write on my bands behalf to the Stadium Manager that Carina has kindly provided the contact details for. I am also going to provide all the parents, friends and family of my Junior Band with this address on Monday night.

John Squires-Evans
    MD Pilling Junior Band