Canadian Brass Day

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by craigster, Jan 29, 2005.

1. craigster

craigster Member

For anyone interested in a decent brass day, come to Mountain Citadel in Hamilton on Saturday, Feburary 5th.

The day is based around a visit by the Canadian Staff Band with guest Julliard trumpeter Derek Lance.

Things will start off at 1:00pm with a massed warm-up/play along. Everyone is invited to bring an instrument! There will then be a masterclass by Derek and the CSB, follow which 5 different SA brass bands will feature in mini concerts. The CSB and Derek will round out the day with a 'gala' concert at night.

During the day there will be exhibits by music and instrument retailers.

If anyone wants more info, send me a PM or check the itinerary section of http://csb.salvationarmy.ca

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Canadian Brass
    Derek Lance
    Canadian
    Julliard
    Mountain Citadel
  3. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

I got a chance to go down to the concert on Saturday night. It was to say the least amazing. Derek Lance was at his best, despite having food poisoning that week. The band was in top form, and gave their first performance of Glorifico Aeturnum, which was stunning. All in all, a great evening.

4. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

Does the band have a full cornet section yet? Is Steve still playing principal?

5. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

Yes Steve Brown is still principal, but it is not yet a full cornet section (in need of 1 more second cornet). It is as follows(as written in their program last night)
    Soprano Cornet: Andrew Burditt
    Solo Cornet: Steve Brown
    Trent Mansell
    Major Alan Price (Subbing in last night)
    John Avery
    Steve Mansfield
    First Cornet: Bob Gray
    Sarah Ewing
    Second Cornet: Paul Robertson

6. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

who is Bob Gray?

7. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

Umm actually I'm not quite sure. LOL

8. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

How is Stan Ewing?

9. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

Actually quite good. He is my bandmaster here at Peterborough and a good friend. As you can see his daughter is also moving up the ranks in the cornet section.

10. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

Please say hi to him for me.

11. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

Will do. And i found out some info on Bob Gray "The CSB is happy to welcome Bob Gray from Yorkminster Citadel, Toronto, as its newest member. Bob joined the cornet section in December. "

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Canadian Brass
    Derek Lance
    Canadian
    Julliard
    Mountain Citadel
  13. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

Ahhh ----- now I remember him. Thanks !

14. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

No problem

15. pegleg

pegleg Member

Sorry I didn't see you there, Cujo-134. I was sitting in the third row from the front. Craigster did a great job on his stand-up solo - Blessed Assurance! The band is in excellent form. All-round, it was a very enjoyable day.
    David - I remember Bob Gray from his very early days at Scarborough. He was also in the Weston Silver Band for several years. I was surprised to hear in December that he was now at Yorkminster.

16. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

Yes I will second the good job to Craigster. Odd I was sitting second row from the front for the first half, and first row for the second half, on the right side (trombone side)

17. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

How is Rob Miller sounding these days - I think I'm probably responsible for him moving to euph

18. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

Rob is now bandmaster at Mississauga Temple and unfortunately no longer with the CSB. Steve Pavey is now principal Euphonium, and doing quite a good job.

19. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Hi Cujo,

Just a little off topic, but I think you may know my daughter, Wendi. Her mom (Carolyn) plays in your band and Wendi is an occasional visitor to Peterborough. She now plays flugel in Oshawa Temple Band.

20. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

I've seen your daughter before, can't say I know her personally, but I am good friends with Carolyn. What a small world eh?