Can Your Singing Voice Be Affected By Brass Band Playing?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 4thmandown, Jan 24, 2013.

1. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

I recently got persuaded to join my church's choir to help out occasionally, but I found that I struggle really badly with pitching the notes, being consistently flat. Whilst trying out an iPad App (provided by work by the way, before a certain person thinks I've suddenly come into a load of money) I found that I sing consistently in Bb as my natural pitch. Is this related to playing in a Brass Band for over 30 years and if so are there any ways of correcting this?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Singing Voice Be Affected By Brass Band Playing
    iPad App
    Brass Band
    Bb
    Band Playing
  3. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

Tighter pants ??

4. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

I would assume so. As far as correcting it goes, I'm no wiser than you, practice I guess. One idea though, perhaps transpose as your singing.

5. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

TBH Ive not noticed a problem with banding interfering with my singing this. For many SA band members, we are SA musicians, and such also sing in our choir. The major thing with this usually is that Band find it easier to learn parts than non Bandos. However as Ive got older I have noticed that my singing ability has deteriorated. I sing tenor, but now havent got anywhere near the range I had in my twenties and thirties. Maybe its just your age ;)

6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

When I was at school, I got chucked out of the school choir for singing the wrong pitches. I could sing bass clef parts (in the wrong octave) but not treble. I soon worked out I was singing at Eb pitch! It took me until I went to university to completely dissociate my playing pitch from my vocal pitch, but as I now sing tenor or bass it is much easier. Practising transposition helped as well.

7. glidng_slide

glidng_slide Member

I also had a similar issue in GSCE music having been asked to sing a 'C' against a piano, my C obviously was Bb having played trombone, clarinet and saxophone, all Bb instruments. Ive stood by this for years saying I can sing, but not what you want me to ;-)

8. hopeless

hopeless New Member

I cannot see that it is really harmful, as a number of star players have done it to a professional standard. Check out the link below, which is ref Rowland Jones, Principal Euph at Black Dyke and Principal singer at Sadlers Wells Opera, others from the top of my head are Amanda Roocroft Soprano Cornet ( Rivington & Adlington I believe ) and Principal soprano ( singer ) with the Royal Opera ( Covent Garden ). and loads of amatuers incl Denis Holmes euph/Huddersfield Choral, John Pollard (Trom Grimethorpe) and vocalist with various bands Grimey / Versatile Brass etc.,)
    But please check out the link below, really interesting.

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 3"][HR][/HR][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"]
    Thanks for the Memory No 4:
    ROWLAND JONES - The Prince of the Euphonium
    by Chris Hel​
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Our solo horn, Marilyn Wolff, regularly performs vocal solo numbers in concerts. The two disciplines of singing and instrumental playing are mutually beneficial - those who sing are often able to bring a better sense of pitch and melodic line to their playing, whereas the difficulties inherent in making a brass instrument sound any good at all mean that those who can play one often have higher expectations of accuracy than many amateur singers.

The problem with calling pitches different names is exactly the standard one of learning to transpose, cast in an unfamiliar guise. Practise makes perfect, and this oughtn't to be a big problem.

10. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

In our band we have 12 members who also sing in our choir

11. Archer

Archer Member

I'm often required to play is Bb and Eb (as well as bass clef in orchestras). I'm also a vocalist as my actual second study and I can only see benifits to singing when it comes to playing. The only thing that I notice is that it's much easier to notice when you're not quite in tune. Perhaps its the experience your ears have gained from banding that is fooling you into doubting your vocal abilities?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Singing Voice Be Affected By Brass Band Playing
    iPad App
    Brass Band
    Bb
    Band Playing