Can you say 'Tone deaf'????

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Florence Foster Jenkins (1868 - November 26, 1944) was an American soprano who became famous for her complete lack of singing ability. ...

When you hear this, the Queen of the Night's Aria from Mozart's Magic Flute, you'll see exactly what I mean. My thanks to Fulham's Bb bass player Danny O'Brien for forwarding this. Has to be heard to be believed. Needless to say, has sound....

http://www.billandellie.com/sounds/jenkins.mp3

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    American
    Danny O'Brien
    Queen of the Night
    Florence Foster Jenkins
    Aria
  3. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

That is so bad, it's not even funny...

Never Mind " Tone Deaf ", I think she should have been taken outside and shot....

4. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I feel SO much better about my last performance of the same piece :D

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

6. Danny_L

Danny_L Member

I did find that funny at first, so I read more about the woman, turns out she was a great woman, she enjoyed music and was out there to enjoy performing for the sake of performing, which was uncommon then, and is very rare today. (No matter how tone-deaf she was!!) Read the 2nd write-up -

http://www.maxbass.com/Florence-Foster-Jenkins.htm

7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Yes, I've read a long write up about her 'career' but there's nothing worse in music than a soprano who thinks she can sing but can't! Rumours that Victoria Beckham is in fact a descendant of Ms Foster-Jenkins are, nevertheless, unfounded.

There is in fact at least one CDs worth of this 'diva' (I don't know if it's still available) on the Nimbus Label catalogue number NI 1796

8. Danny_L

Danny_L Member

Yeah, that's probably about the worst on the ears!!

How bored am I.... http://www.counterpoint-music.com/specialties/ffj.html

There's another tuneful recording on there as well....

9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Looking at the pictures of her, I can't help wondering if it isn't really a younger version of the Queen Mother......

10. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

thats really annoying....cos as u sing along in the right key it still sounds wrong! :?

11. :shock:

If she had any decency she would claim that the piano was out of tune and she was perfect! I would!
    It did slightly hurt my ears though, I wasn't expecting it to be that bad!
    :lol:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    American
    Danny O'Brien
    Queen of the Night
    Florence Foster Jenkins
    Aria
  13. billandellie

billandellie New Member

Those are mine

I should add, in response to:

I should add that the 'billandellie' website also contains lots of trumpet related bloopers but most of these have already been generously provided on tMP by Andy Callard (W.Rimmer)! here.

http://www.themouthpiece.com/phpb...13c73dbdf22493b

Most of the trumpet related bloopers are mine. I own the original reel-to-reel tapes. I was present at most of the performances. I took the time to buy an ancient reel-to-reel tape deck to digitalize these recordings to post online. You're welcome, Andy.

Andy Callard's 'generous' provisions were merely ripoffs of things that I actually experienced during my lifetime and took the time to post for your amusement. I maintain relationships with most of the people who were making us laughing so hard.

I don't really care, as long as you get a laugh. Andy, however, provides no credit for the actual provider of the material who is Me.

The page has undergone some updates. You will surely be rolling on the floor again. You can check out my page or wait until Andy rips them off again.

Your friend in musical hilarity,

Bill

14. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Sounds like Kareoke night at pontins!

15. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

That's a complement to her!

16. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

HA!