Can you play too good at a contest and not get placed!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BigBenBari, Jan 20, 2008.

1. BigBenBari

BigBenBari New Member

having played for 10 years i have done alot of contesting in the lower sections. Can a band play superbly eg national finals not jus the band but the audience and some wel respected brass band people thought it too and not evan get placed?

cheers bigben
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Yes, if the conductor's interpretation strays too far away from the adjudicator's comfort zone.
  3. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Sigh------ does'nt matter what you. the audience or well respected brass band people may think. Its the person(s) in the box that count.
    Have a read through some recent threads on the subject bigbenbari, it may help you come to terms with the occasional dissappointment :wink:
  4. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Of course it's possible. The result on the day depends upon the opinion of one man sat in a box and is opinion is his own
  5. You hear this time and time again - and 'most' of the time its true of course, too much rests on the md's interpretation. N'uff said, alot of fellow bandsmen would tell you the same!
  6. weenie

weenie Member

It certainly does happen. It happened to us a few years ago at the Grand Shield, a lot of people in the audience had us either first or second, 4br had us first and we knew that we'd played well.......we came 7th.

I think the best way to deal with it would be not to get carried away, even if you think that you've walked a contest with a good performance. Mind you, it happens the other way around too. I came off stage at the Masters two years ago not rating our performance at all........we got second (which listening to the recording now makes sense) and I wasn't too sure about this year's Shield performance.......we won. So everything balances out in the end. As a certain former footballer would say, 'It's a funny old game'!
  7. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

interesting question, in my opinion you can play well and not get placed, but you can never be too good. you can always push that little bit harder in your quest to being the best you possibly can be. being too good is a matter of personal opinion, my opinion is you can never play too good, but you can play well.

it does happen that in your opinion you can play well, and not get placed. that is down to adjudicator opinion, and your own opinion of how you thought it went. you may have played a blinder in your opinion, better than anyone else. but in reality you were not as good as another band. interpretation can play a key role.
  8. sopboy

sopboy New Member

Did anyone listen to Williams Fairey Engineering in the 1990-2000 era ?
    They missed out on a lot of 1st prizes......
    At the end of the day there are three things about at a contest,

1 The draw
    2 What the blokes in the box think
    3 How you play

"You only have power of one of them" it's number 3!

If you have done your best and have come off stage with nothing else to give, then you have done your bit! the rest is in the lap of the gods...
  9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Of course its possible - and from the tone of your post I suspect you already know that! ;)

As others have said, this crops up time and again, and always will as long as we compete in a system where the opinion of one or two people in a box is the only one that counts.

I always find it amusing how often the 'experts' listening in the audience think their opinions are worth more than the guys in the box with a score in front of them....
  10. WagTheStick

WagTheStick Member

..who gave up playing when god was a lad and remember the glory days of the 70s. ;)
  11. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

When people say the audience thought this and the audience thought that... I often wonder how true it actually is! There may be some that said "you were great"! but if people thought you were c**p they probably won't say!! Not very scientific. Most people suffer from at least a little selective perception and tend to hear what they want to hear.

I'm not suggesting you're wrong but in my experience when you have worked hard on a piece and given a good account of yourself it's hard to accept others were better - when I suspect in the majority of cases they probably were.

Maybe I trust the man in the box too much, eh?

In other threads it has been mentioned that we must manage the expectation of our younger players - I get the feeling some MDs and supporters continually tell their players how great they are. This can be encouraging but it can also be unrealistic! Just a thought.

I have often found the funny handshake influences a contest result, usually when the winning bands conductor and the judge are freemasons, I know that this happens but of course no one can prove it.
  13. Owen S

Owen S Member

I'm intrigued. How did you find that out, yet no-one can prove it?

Its a secret,I can t tell you I might get blackballed. Are you one by any chance !;)
  15. Owen S

Owen S Member

No, I'm not a freemason, but I do have a finely tuned ear for conspiracy theorists.

Or were you being sarcastic and I missed it?
  16. Pav

Pav Member

It's not always easy to tell with Haighy.

Is there some trouser-leg related shennanigans going on at your band Haighy? You're certainly flying up through the sections.

Any chance of an assault on the Jim Battye Cup this year? I might have to make the trip up if there is.

Like the old saying "A man has his price" I have never believed for one minute that the system is always fair, thats why we should have at least two in the box.:rolleyes:

Not really we have a top class battye bass section, the solo BB bass is very good, and we have a wizard of a conductor in Elliot Darwin, as you know I don t tolorate fools in the middle for long.I might come back to Holmfirth one day and reclaim the Battye Grail, I have let the others have a chance for the past 5 years, I might play standing on my head drinking a pint on ckeckmate...but that might be too easy:biggrin:
  19. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

err..... you guys need telephones!
  20. Owen S

Owen S Member

I'm still intrigued, and you don't seem to have answered my question yet. What reason do you have for thinking that contests are fixed by freemasons?