Can you identify this brass ensemble?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Clueless in Seattle, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Clueless in Seattle

Clueless in Seattle New Member

This past November my downstairs neighbor gave me a set of five home recorded audio cassettes that she had received as a gift from a guy she had dated decades ago. She said she had never played them because she doesn't like Christmas music and had long since lost the track-listing that had once accompanied the tapes.

I've been having fun trying to figure out who the performers are (and in some cases what the names of the songs are).

Here's a link to one I'm especially fond of and would love to be able to find on a CD:

http://www.freedrive.com/file/1373780,good-christain-men-rejoice-brass-medley.

I'd sure be grateful to any of you who could help me identify the ensemble and find this recording on CD (or even vinyl).

The track is about six minutes long, is performed by a brass ensemble and consists of a medley of "Good Christian Men, Rejoice," "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen," "The First Noel," and perhaps even more carols I'm unable to identify.

Let me know if you have any trouble playing the MP3.

Will in Seattle
    a.k.a. "Clueless

2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Found it! I have the recording this is on - It's a medley of festive tunes under the banner 'Christmas Day' and the performers are Solid Brass - it's on their CD 'Christmas with Solid Brass' on the Dorian label - don't know if the CD is still available but iTunes certainly has it.

3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Further info: The 'original' (if it may be called that) Christmas Day medley is a pot-pourri for choir and organ, cobbled together by Gustav Holst. Don't know if you read music, but if you can, it's here (a tone higher than the brass version - from the Choral Public Domain Library - just click on the pdf image to open it)

http://www3.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Christmas_Day_(Gustav_Holst)

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

5. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Dave, you never cease to amaze me :) nice to see you back!

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Full of useless information, me! I listen to brass ensembles more than brass bands, I guess (nothing against brass bands - honest!)

7. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Have you heard the Centre City Brass Quintet On the Town? superb and one of my favorite albums....

... oops sorry mods, Dave and I seem to have hijacked a thread.... we'll take this one off to facebook :)

8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Yup. Love that album. No go on Facebook. Had to de-activate my account. Employer's orders.... :-(

Back on topic, (ahem!) I didn't know the Holst Christmas Day original, but this thread has reminded me to hunt down a recording of it! The Solid Brass recording previously alluded to is OK, but the sound is a little forced and thin-toned on occasions with a tendency to over-emphasise articulation - to my ears.

9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

And it would appear that the original 'Christmas Day' is for choir and orchestra - the orgn version may or may not be a reduction by Holst himself, I don't know.

I've run out of coats to get....

10. Clueless in Seattle

Clueless in Seattle New Member

I'm afraid my hand-me-down laptop computer died shortly after I posted my query. And due to worsening chronic health problems, I have great difficulty these days sitting up at my desk computer. So I've been remiss in thanking Dave for his diligence in tracking down that track for me.

As soon as I read his reply I placed an order for the CD and expect it to be delivered any day now.

In the meantime, much to my chagrin, Dave tracked down an identical query I had left over on The Brass Forum, and posted a reply to me there too. Talk about due diligence; this guy is someone you definitely want to have on your team!

So, many thanks Dave! You made my day! Heck, you made my whole year, and I'll be thinking of you next December when I will be playing that CD ever day of the month.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Christmas
    CD
    cases
    guy
    medley
  12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'm sorry to hear of your health problems. Here's hoping you get better. I'm not one of the more regular contributors here and if I hadn't located the recording and posted the answer, someone else here I'm sure, would have done, and there are a few contributors here who also frequent brass-forum. Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad to have been of assistance (Don't forget Jim - he found a recording on eBay! ;-))

Hope you have fun with the recording.

Take care

Dave

13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

ps Why wait 'til December to listen to it? I listen to Christmas music whenever it takes my fancy. Never did me any harm.

Yours

Kris Kringle

;-)