Can you help me please?!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I'm having an absolute mare today: computer breaking, work not being done - you name it...it went wrong!!
    Here is my desperate plea to you lovely clever tmpers!

I have to do an ICT project which uses ICT to produce a teaching resource. Initially, I did a lovely series of exercises on a piece of software that I then realised I had to pay for if I wanted it to be accessible to others.

I have now set my personal expectations a little lower and opted for a trustworthy powerpoint (no doubt like the other 90 people on my course will do), but what I am trying to do (which is well beyond me) is to add some drop-down choice boxes/fill in the gap type things to make it interactive.

I have found a thing called Microsoft Visual Basic (Basic...I think not!) on powerpoint, which looks like it is just what I want, however I don't understand a word of it, have had help from a nice Mr Keppler but he had to go to band and I still ouldn't make it work.

I was wondering if anybody knew how the <expletive> it works, or can anybody help me in anyway to produce an outstanding piece of ICT based work....at the moment I'm sinking into a big jar of Branston :eek:

2. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Have you thought about buying the Visual Basic for Dummies book. I've no idea about that sort of thing either but I know that range of books normally helps me out. It may be a bit more easier to follow than someone explaining it and you'll have it to hand all of the time.

3. rutty

rutty Active Member

4. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Hmm, I could do. 2 problems though: Time (As always, left it a bit late) and it seems to operate in code jargon and even reading the stuff in simplistic form...I still don't understand a word of it!
    It's not a necessity that I include it as such, I just want to include it to make the resource more worthwhile and to differentiate myself from the rest of the other presentations that I know are being made as we speak!
    If I can't do it by the end of tonight I may admit defeat, all other suggestions welcome!

5. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

what exactly are you wanting to do teaching wise?

6. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Teaching wise it's a key stage one electricity support package, to be used along side practical work, on what electricity is, how it works and how to build circuits. I wanted to use the work that I had already done (revision style quizzes) as a summary to the work and something interactive for the children.

Who would have thought it would take all afternoon to not be able to create drop down boxes?!I do have one now....but can't seem to get more than one box to work :frown: , we must plod on though!

7. sparkling_quavers

do you have to develop your own ? That is a bit mad if they are expecting everyone to be able to develop their own IT stuff (beyond a simple website I mean) ! I am certain I have a link for a site that allows you to build circuits and couldn't you just use hot potatoes or something to build a quiz?

8. sparkling_quavers

9. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

That's the kind of thing I'm trying to achieve. It's not the content or ideas that are causing the problem (for once!), I've even done that bit! It's just actually making the nasty computers do what I want them to do and as I'm at home I don't have access to much software :frown: and what I do have...I can't seem to use properly!

Thanks for all your help so far!

10. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Hello caroline, I pm'd you, but try these snippets, if you can in VB:

Sub AddItemsToSelectedListBox()

Dim oShape As Shape
    Set oShape = ActiveWindow.Selection.ShapeRange(1)

With oShape.OLEFormat.Object
    ' Add items to the list
    .AddItem ("Red")
    .AddItem ("Blue")
    .AddItem ("Green")
    .AddItem ("Orange")
    ' You could work with other properties of the list or combo box here as well
    End With

End Sub

Sub RemoveItemsFromListBox()
    Dim oShape As Shape
    Set oShape = ActiveWindow.Selection.ShapeRange(1)

With oShape.OLEFormat.Object
    checkit: ' Add items to the list
    If .ListCount > 4 Then
    .RemoveItem 3
    GoTo checkit
    End If
    ' You could work with other properties of the list or combo box here as well
    End With
    End Sub

Private Sub ComboBox1_Change()

End Sub

Make sure the box is selected before you run the macro. Replace red, orange etc with your own list of options. I've tried to make it very simple. If you end up with too many things in your list, or duplicates as I did, you can use the second macro to delete items. Just set the listcount to any number you like and removeitem to one less.

Hope this helps.

M

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    plea
    Keppler
    mare
    series
    ICT
  12. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

There are a number of tools you can use for this - I work in what's sometimes incorrectly called e-learning.

I use a tool called Trivantis Publisher - a trial version is available for download at www.trivantis.com.
    This allows you to create learning content including tests/assessments that can be submitted by email, cgi scripting or direct to elearning standards compliant learning management systems. If you can use powerpoint, you can use this with a little delving into the help files! Can't remember what limitations there are on the demo version - buying not an option as over £1,000. Worth checking though.
    Trivantis covers all the drop down boxes, interactivity you could want plus more.

If you are not looking at much more than ppt style content, then get hold of speechi lite (no cost for licence on this ) which is a ppt add-on that will dump your slides into Flash. Download speechi from http://www.p4you.com/products.asp?item=1685 and register the lite version only - you'll need to email for the licence key but it is free!

mail me off-line for more in depth info.

hope this helps

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  13. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

THanks for everybodies help with this (particularily Mr Lyons), I just about got it sorted I think!

The powerpoint is quite good and the manual is ok but ......the essay lets it down. I'm fed up with it now (especially as it compromised my night out tonight) wil be very glad to hand it in!

Thanks again :)

14. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

THanks for your help too Andy, I tried to download one of them, but as it said it would take 7 hrs I decided not to ;)