Can we win?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by xRinat, Mar 20, 2009.

1. xRinat

xRinat Member

We desided to play Royal Parks by George Lloyd for the Norwegian Nationals.
    We are a school band, and we have been the best 5 years in a row since the year 2003 and so on, and no school band in Norway has ever won the nationals 5 years in a row before.
    So.. I really want to win this year too, and if we do i bet NO band in Norway will ever make it as far as we did.

I dont know if any of those bands we compeated against last year are good now but I guess alot can change after a year.
    We won the nationals wth 2 points ahead of the 2nd place band.

What my question is, if we have a chance on winning the nationals with Royal parks?
    It seems like a really easy piece for me. (Maybe it is)

Does anyone think the piece is too easy?
  2. yoda

yoda Member

erm..... no

used in the UK as a 1st section area piece, and found very difficult by 90% of them, and used as a test piece for the Europeans a few years before.

full of good music. musically very difficult and technically quite challenging. essential that the MD gets the choice of tempos right!!!

good luck and I hope you achieve that win :)
  3. xRinat

xRinat Member

Thanks! I see no difficulty in Solo Cornets, 3rd page is the most challenenging though.
  4. Squeaker

Squeaker Member

What strikes me most when I read this is just how modest you clearly are!!!! Talking about this piece being easy, no other band being able to achieve what your band has!!

First of all, not many pieces of music are "easy", certainly not "too easy"!! They may look easy just looking at the notes on the page, but there are hidden difficulties within a piece that you can't always see until you play! This suggests to me that you're rather naive and have limited knowledge of music!

Second of all, arrogance isn't a good idea when it comes to banding and competing! Nothing wrong with confidence in what you're doing, but for me, making assumptions about your competition and making light of music saying it's too easy, suggests to me that you are rather arrogant as well as naive!
  5. xRinat

xRinat Member

You are right, I was looking at the 3rd page, and damn.. Alot work needs to be done there.

I guess not only the solo cornets have technical problems in the piece.
  6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Go Smørås!!!

7. xRinat

xRinat Member

No thanks to you, haha.

Spillt i Smørås Skolekorps? Eller bare heier du på dem?
  8. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Ikke spillt men jeg er instruktør der.

But let's keep it in English on here.
    (min norsk er veldig dårlig!)
  9. xRinat

xRinat Member

I see. Well we all need luck this year, no one knows how good everyone has become.