Can tonguing damage your teeth??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassed_off, Jun 4, 2007.

1. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

I've been playing for 15 years now and I've noticed that my front bottom teeth are starting to chip and flake away. Today a large chunk fell off the back of one of them - resulting in a trip to the dentist tomorrow (Tuesday 5th). Could this be as a result of playing? (ok, so I know this would mean I'm doing it wrong - don't make me feel any worse than I do!) :mad:

Has anyone experienced the same? Is it just me? Any hints or tips? I'm very proud of my teeth - no fillings and I brush every morning and night! I hate something being wrong with them.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    teeth
    morning
    fillings
    dentist tomorrow
    Tuesday
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

How did it go?

I do not think that playing could affect your teeth so badly. Fizzy pop, sweets, gum, chewing bricks - that sort of thing, maybe.

Too much pressure would probably result in your teeth being uneven, maybe, but it would have to be pretty fierce pressure for a fair length of time.

My thought would be a mineral deficiency, maybe or some other medical/genetic condition.

4. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

Definiely not chewing bricks! Nothing dentist can do unfortunately! If they're gonna go, they're gonna go. Resulted in some fairly awful playing the first time I tried, but it's ok now. Trying to get more calcium in my diet - tricky since I don't like milk but I've found all these other things that have it in so I'm ok. Now, if they can only get calcium in beer......

5. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

Calcium fortified Beer - Brilliant!

I know vitamin D taken in conjunction with calcium helps the absorption of calcium for bone density, I presume the same would hold true for teeth.

I don't understand why nothing can be done about it though. I had one front tooth that slowly shipped away because of the position of a bottom tooth and where the two met. I had the bottom tooth removed and my bottom teeth all re-aligned, then the dentist rebiuilt the damaged tooth with bonding material. I now have a beautiful smile and re-fortified top front teeth.

But I would say none of this has to do with your playing. Could it possibly be exagerated by grinding teeth at night? You could wear a mouth guard to prevent that .

6. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I have a similar problem, with the enamel on the tips of my front teeth both top and bottom completely worn away. They were basically like powder and wearing away quite fast.

I have tried many different things to stop this and as my dentist wants big bucks to cap them the best solution i have found upto now is Arm and Hammer Enamel Replacing Toothpaste. Its not a 100% cure but I can feel that my teeth are better. Plus dont brush too hard that just made it worse once it had started.

7. Mr_Chairman

Mr_Chairman Member

I have a vested interest in the state of brassed-off's teeth (and health and general welfare) - purely from a band point of view ! otherwise I could get lumbered with the end chair.

I will refrain from nudging her during solo passages and ensure that she does not walk into a wall whilst marching !

8. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

I have never walked into a brick wall!!!! Don't listen to him.
    Just you wait until I have my tonsils out. I'll get my revenge then with 2 weeks off playing!

Other normal people: thanks for all the tips. Trying to conscientiously not grind and I've got the special toothpaste. Tastes funny but I hope it works.

9. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Its not very nice is it. But its helped me.

10. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Sounds (from my dental viewpoint) like something totally unrelated to playing and more like either weak enamel or wear. Just do what the nice dentist says and you should be fine!!

Rach x

11. ulrichvanfrog

ulrichvanfrog New Member

My teeth started doing what yours did and I don't eat sugary things. A blood test showed I was Calcium and Selenium deficient. It causes white spots on teeth and nails. A course of vitamin pills and a slight change of diet has cured it completely now.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    teeth
    morning
    fillings
    dentist tomorrow
    Tuesday
  13. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Might be a result of too fastidious brushing with too hard a toothbrush(overdoing it causes different problems to neglect)? Or drinking lots of fresh fruit juice or fizzy pop (acid erosion). U can slow it down by using a soft brush with a compact head and one of the fancy toothpastes (sensodyne pronamel is not so manky). Don't rinse at the end or the water will wash all the good stuff down the plughole and avoid over use of mouthwashes as some have a high alcohol content (not in a good way!) and can be quite rough on your mouth if used all the time.

As with most things in life, moderation is the key!!:roll:

Won't fix it but can stop it getting any worse.:D

14. midnight_euph

midnight_euph Member

I've not had too much in the way of problems with my front teeth after playing 30+ years (or is that tempting Fate?) However, in 1977 I did ask my nice Dentist to remove perfectly sound wisdom teeth as they kept chavelling the inside of my mouth and tongue while I was playing. Wonderful chap that he is, he did so without a murmur (and painfree dentistry for me too - I didn't even know he'd pulled them until he showed them to me!) Before anyone bounces on that - he did say I would have had to have them removed anyway when I got older because of their position in the jaw. He's still my dentist!!

Fran