Can there honestly be a ''Best'' conductor??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by chizzum, Mar 13, 2006.

Which conductor????

Poll closed Jun 11, 2006.
  1. Brass band

2. Wind Band

0 vote(s)
  3. Orchetral

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chizzum

chizzum Member

Who is the best conductor??????? Would it be a brass band or orchestral conductor? or maybe even wind.....:-?
  2. :-? eh? elaborate.....
  3. chizzum

chizzum Member

howdy helen! well basically who is the best conductor around???? and also... do the best conductors tend to be from brass bands... wind bands.... or orchestra's???
  4. the hardest job would be the MD of an orchestra i think coz you'd need to have a good knowledge of ALL the different style of instruments within the group and to also have the ability to work with all the different sections aswell

i played in some pit orchestras and 1 of the MD's was terrible! he didnt even look towards the brass section at all, and he really should have coz we were taceting so much, we never knew when to come in, i found it very difficult to play in that performance. the md was not very helpful at all!

on the other hand, 1 guy was a lot better, gave good consideration to the brass section and made it much easier to know when we were suppost to come in after a long tacet section.

in terms of the best?

well in brass bands, richard evans has the excellent mix of seriousness and humour in rehearsals and that in my view is a vitally important combination to have to get the best out of players and bands as a whole! and his contesting record over the years aint owt to be grumbled at either ;)

i personally think tho that its 1 thing being able to get the best out of quality players, but to get the best out of players in lower section bands?, that takes a very special talent! 2 that i rate pretty highly and their contest records back them up aswell, are steven bailey at garforth and malcolm lewis at shanklin. those 2 have both got many young players in their bands and to make the progress that they have both made in the last 2 or 3 years has been an excellent acheivement.

can anyone name any future star MD's?

conducting is something im really enjoying right now and i'd love to build up a good reputation for myself in years to come as an MD, and i would recommend it to any young bandsman that might be considering looking into doing some conducting, its a job where the hard work can really pay off and be a very enjoyable thing to do!
  5. chizzum

chizzum Member

well said... i think you are right too, as the best conductors could and probably are the ones that bring bands up from nothing into stars!!!:clap:
  6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Thats a really difficult one to answer without experiencing all three types. I guess the all round 'best' would be someone who can do equally well with any group.

Not sure I agree with the point about orchestral conductors - in my experience of orchestras there tends to be a much higher expectation that people will turn up already knowing how and where to play the dots because they don't rehearse anywhere near as often and the individual parts are generally easier. So, instead of having to teach people how to play the piece, the conductor has more space to do the final shaping of the music. Nature of the beast I guess.
  7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

That's an objective type question chizzum... there may be a 'favourite' conductor which is entirely subjective, but to identify 'best' means you'd need to have to identify clear and specific set of criteria upon which they would need to be judged.
  8. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

The best conductor? Has to be blakey from 'on the buses'
    "Oi hayte you butla!!"

(and before anyone says it yes i know he was the inspector but you get the idea! "they're only a caouple of biwrds staaan!!)
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  9. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

If we're talking 2nd trumpet in Opera then probably so but that's too much of a generalisation. I don't think too many brass and woodwind players looking at Mahler 5 would agree with you on that! ;)
    Agreed again - but surely that should also be the case with our top bands? (or is it reall the case that Dyke et al have to be taught the notes like the rest of us mortals?)

I think the 3 options are a bit too loose to work with - an Orchestral conductor in the pit at Glyndebourne has a totally different role to the one conducting a Symphony concert. I watched Sir Charles Mackerras at Glyndebourne nursing a last minute understudy through a performance last year - hardly looked at the score during the whole performance of Magic Flute.
    In a similar vein, the concerto conductor has an extra dimension to consider that the average band conductor hasn't i.e. a 30 min + soloist.
    The guy working the pit Orchestra in a West End theatre requires a whole set of skills not often used in Brass Bands too - not only having to keep a band together but to keep it with what the cast are doing on stage. Double (at least) the challenge if the show is Amateur Dramatics.

On to the wind band conductor - needs to know a much wider range of instruments than his BB counterpart. Indeed, if we consider British Military Bands separately, all bandmasters have to demonstrate competence on ALL instruments of the band to a level that I recall is at least grade 6. (someone on here can confirm that's still the case). They also undergo 3 years training - not so in the BB world.

In summary, I don't believe the question as posed can be answered without more clarity as expressed here:
  10. chizzum

chizzum Member

Ok then after reading your comments can we debate on the most favourite conductor???:rolleyes:
  11. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

Still blakey for me!
  12. chizzum

chizzum Member

13. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

:eek: WHO? :eek:

Can anyone enlighten the poor guy? On the busses was a comedy programme! if you haven't seen it then do so my friend! Noticing your still playing with a youth band i can only assume your "too young" to have seen it! hang on though im only 22! miss-spent youth alert!!:-?
  14. dyl

dyl Active Member

And this is a thread in 'The Rehearsal Room' of a brass forum - and therefore has nothing to do with any comedy programmes. Can we please stick to the original topic?

15. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

ha ha ha! Priceless!
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  16. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

now thats a completely different question - and still quite general!! :lol:

To watch - David King
    to play under - Frank Renton
  17. chizzum

chizzum Member

never watched it but obviously will havr to sometime now! but yes i haven't heard of it! Allthough you are right the ''too young'' does kick in!
  18. tricky dick

tricky dick New Member

Easy there with the old fun police routine

For Sale - Sense of Humour - One previous owner, hardly ever used!
  19. chizzum

chizzum Member

thanks for that, so are orchestral conductors better than the brass?
  20. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Sir / Madam

No need for this... period. if you want to chat offtopic then feel free to use one of our Random categories, or go here. Please do not post inane and critical comments towards people who give of their time freely and voluntarily to keep tMP family friendly and on-topic.