Can of worms... [How do you hold your cornet?]

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, Mar 3, 2010.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

How do you hold your cornet? Do you think there's a "right way", or do you just find what works for you?

I take the weight entirely in my left hand, fourth finger and pinky under the third valve slide, middle finger through the third valve ring, index finger and thumb round valve casing. That way the centre of gravity of the instrument is above my fourth finger, and I don't have to grip hard. And I can throw the third valve slide without changing the position of my other fingers. This leaves my right hand free - I don't have to claw my hand to grip the instrument and my fingers are nice and relaxed.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    valve ring
    index finger
    valve slide
    middle finger
    instrument
  3. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I've seen lots of variations in the past. some even hold their cornet on a slant and some play to one side of the mouth and not central. I guess it all comes down to what feels comfortable hey. don't see to many variables on Tuba though.

4. Griffis

Griffis Member

I've found that using my feet to hold the instrument makes it a lot harder to play...so I prefer to use my hands...just using the trusted grab and blow technique ;)

5. TrumpetNick

TrumpetNick Member

Make sure that the bigger whole is pointing at your MD :tongue:

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

So standing on your head?

7. TrumpetNick

TrumpetNick Member

oups... I meant hole...english is my 3rd language...understand the bigger end...of the cornet...if you wanna stand on your head, feel free to :tongue:

8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It's okay Nick, I wasn't teasing you about your spelling! I wouldn't dare - my Bulgarian extends as far as reading the alphabet, no more...

9. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Occasionally played left-handed :rolleyes:

10. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I guess it come down to what you have. I have seen the odd Left handed cornet too. a perfect imperiel in the late 70's. put it down in place of our principals right hand version, good joke when he couldn't hold it to play.

11. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Might give the feet a try; my little toe can't be any lazier than my third finger :rolleyes:, plus it would free my hands up to hold beer/burger/meat pie while playing :tup

Здравейте, Добре дошъл, Ник!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    valve ring
    index finger
    valve slide
    middle finger
    instrument
  13. TrumpetNick

TrumpetNick Member

Thank you Andrew for the effort, but I am not a new member, though I don't post too often.

14. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

All the weight in your left hand, all the work in you right. with your fingers on the correct valves (even if you're not using the 3rd valve)

I'm sure many a brass tutor will tell you how many kids hold their 2nd and 3rd finger over the middle valve which means there's a delay on any note needing 2&3 or 1&3...wish my fingers were thin enough! Fingers should be on top of the appropriate valve, wether it's being used or not.