Can I ignore a category

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by BigHorn, Mar 2, 2005.

1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I usually use tMP by pressing the link on the start-up page that lets you see all new posts since you last visited.

This throws up ALL posts - however there are certain categories I am not really interested in such as the thread games. Is there any way you can 'Unsubscribe' from certain categories so you don't see them?

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Hi there: I thought the thread games were now excluded from that listing, but it will need one of our more technically-minded Mods to give you a definite answer. I know they are not in the "New Posts" when I'm using the "Default style".

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

This would be very useful indeed, if it were possible.
    I do the same when I come on tMP, check for new posts, find many hundred, then find that 90% of them are in the thread games, which are not the reason I check the site.

4. PeterBale

I've just done a bit of checking up, and it appears that the link from the Portal does still include the thread games, whereas if you go to Forums Home first, and use the "New Posts" link in the middle of the tool bar, then the Thread Games are excluded.

We will certainly see about excluding them from the other link as well, as anyone who does want them can find them easily enough - as I know well ;)

5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

If you click on "Quick Links" in the toolbar on top of the page (underneath the logo and ad banner), you can select "new posts (exclude random)" . I think this works in all three styles.
    If you use the "default" or "clean" styles, you do the same directly by clicking on "new posts" in the toolbar. This will also exclude the "random" categories.

6. Jan H

Do you mean the "new posts" link underneath your avatar on the left of the screen? This link will indeed show all categories...

7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Good point indeed mentioned here. The 'New Links' in the User Block on the portal does still returns all new posts. I must ammend this so as to exclude randomness...:)

However, one can do a 'New Posts - (Exclude Random)" by selecting it from the 'quick links' menu.

8. Jan H

Nooooo, I like it! :eek:
    But I guess you can never do good for everyone at the same time... ;) So you just do what you feel is right, John...

9. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

What^ Said!

10. TheMusicMan

Hehe Jan - we'll see....!

I guess a general overhaul and standardisation of the 'New Posts' functionality is required though. I will have a think and communicate what I am to do sometime later tomorrow...:)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    tMP
    link
    page
    certain categories
    thread games
  12. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Thanks guys,
    As you guessed, I usually press new posts from the link under my Avatar. The #links status bar nearly does what I would like. Its the Thread games I have no interest in - I still like some of the off-the-wall random posts though.
    It would be good personally to have a show new posts (exclude thread games) category, but I now see that you have already catered for the serious, band subject only users.

13. TheMusicMan

Hey BigHorn

If you have any ideas or suggestions as to what criteria you would like to be able to search with, please let me know and I can get about sorting it for everyone here.

I am able to exclude a total forum from a new posts search - so the more suggestions and ideas I get here explaining what's required - the better this is for me to deliver to those requirements.

14. dyl

dyl Active Member

To clairify things a bit. On the 'Clean' style I'm using we currently we have:

New Posts on nav bar (viewable from Portal, Forum, Links & Gallery): shows new posts but excludes 'thread games' forum
    New Posts (excludes Random) under Quick Links: does what it says on the tin - excludes Random and Thread Games

There is an option to cater for nearly everyone - it's a matter of finding it and sticking to it! ;)

Hope this helps!

15. TheMusicMan

Thanks for this Dyl: now all I need to do is to enable these options for each style, provide graphical instructions/views so peeps can see exactly what I am referring to, and then communicate it to everyone.

16. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Thanks Dyl (and other Mods),
    The clean style new posts is just what I was after. What a great service you guys provide. :clap:

17. TheMusicMan

Thanks BigHorn... very nice of you to say so, your comments are appreciated.

As an update for you: I am going to standardise on all the 'New Post' functionality on tMP sometime tomorrow (Friday) so that each style has the same (or as similar as I can make it) functionality. I am also going to add a few small touches that are already present in the Clean style into the other two tMP styles.

18. Jan H

I don't know if you're awawre of this: In the Clean style, you can also use "find new posts" in the "search" drop down menu in the navigation bar. This feature does not seem to exist in the other styles (?)

19. TheMusicMan

Yes I am aware of this thanks Jan - hence wanting to standardise on the 'New Posts' functionality across each of the styles.

I have made a small start to doing some rationalisation of the 'Go to Top' function within each post. Very useful for when you are reading through a long thread and want to quickly go back to the top of the page. Here's some screenshots of how to accoomplilsh this in each style...

tMP 303 Style
    [​IMG]

Default Style
    [​IMG]

Clean Style

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  20. PeterBale

It works ;) - that's one thing I've missed in the new set-up ;)

21. dyl

dyl Active Member

Ok - we've now standardised all the 'New Posts' links on all the available styles. Here's final 'state of play':
    • 'New Posts' on Portal (under the avatar) : shows new posts but excludes 'thread games' forum;
    • 'New Posts' on nav bar : as above;
    • 'ALL New Posts' (under Quick Links on nav bar) : shows ALL new posts including Random and 'Games';
    • 'New Posts exclude Random' (under Quick Links) : excludes Random and Thread Games;
    • 'New in last 7 days' (under Quick Links) : ALL new posts in the last 7 days.
    The fact that it's standardised across all styles now is an advantage - aprticularly to those who change styles periodically. We think this arrangement is the best option across the board, because as you can see there is 'link' to suit all needs.

Please ge in touch if yo ucan suggest any more improvement/modifications.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    tMP
    link
    page
    certain categories
    thread games