Can anyone tell me what this means?!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ukdrummerboy, May 9, 2003.

1. ukdrummerboy

ukdrummerboy Member

Just a question. In the piece of music "Chivalry" by Martin Ellerby, there is an instruction that reads

"Quasi Pavillons nen l'air" ....Anyone know what it means?!

Thanks,

2. MajorMorgan

MajorMorgan Member

It's an instruction usually written in French Horn parts which means 'bells up'. In other words, that section should be pretty strident and cut across the rest of the band.

3. ukdrummerboy

ukdrummerboy Member

thanks, its what i thought........but wasn't too sure! Thanks for clearing it up!

4. *hehe* :lol:

5. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Swot

6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

you didnt know that sam? ;) :p
    I actually did for a change :p
    only cos sykesy told us last rehearsal tho :D

7. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Don't they teach you ANYTHING at RNCM Aidan?!?!?!?! :wink:

8. asteria

asteria Member

I've heard two different versions of "Quasi Pavillons nen l'air", both something to do with the top part of the medieval tents which is bell-like in shape and has a flag on.
    One version i've heard is that this means "bells in the air" and the other version is "like flags waving in the air", both slightly different translations!
    I'm assuming both these refer to the style and not to the choreography of the piece! :?

Glad i'm not playing it, i haven't got a clue what the thing means, my french barely gets past ordering a drink! :D

Helen

9. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I think it probably means "Tazz it like pump".

10. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

You're all wrong. It means "buy the conductor a drink".

D

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Chivalry
    Martin Ellerby
    Quasi Pavillons nen l'air
    piece of music
    instruction
  12. juliegemmell

juliegemmell New Member

The Masters

Helen Varley is that you! Gemmell here. Are you guys coming down to the Masters this weekend? I'm playing percussion with Besses this weekend!!!!

Julie
    Percussion! :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Besses

13. If there's anything written on the part that you don't understand, and you get asked in front of the band what it means, say "look at the conductor". :D works a treat!

14. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

:lol: Nah, I'm a Bb bass player, remember! :wink:

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We always play with our bells up , and are pretty strident, aren't we :?: :wink: :lol:

16. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

[quote="PeterBale"
    We always play with our bells up , and are pretty strident, aren't we :?: :wink: :lol:[/quote]

Nice One :roll:

17. asteria

asteria Member

Re: The Masters

Aye tis me! Despite my alcohol consumption I do remember seeing you at the Masters on Sunday, certainly was very impressed by the new percussion skills Miss Gemmel!!

I managed to listen to some bands too, really enjoyed listening to Chivalry, I don't care if it's cheesy i loved it! :D

Helen

18. juliegemmell

juliegemmell New Member

Re: The Masters

[/quote]

Aye tis me! Despite my alcohol consumption I do remember seeing you at the Masters on Sunday, certainly was very impressed by the new percussion skills Miss Gemmel!!

I managed to listen to some bands too, really enjoyed listening to Chivalry, I don't care if it's cheesy i loved it! :D

Helen[/quote]

Ms Varley, thank you for those kind words ! ! ! I had a great day on Sunday and really enjoyed playing percussion especially the noisy tam tam at the end! it's just a pity we were drawn so late in the day - but I soon caught up with you guys after a few cheeky wee whiskeys or two!

When you guys out in town again?

Juls