Can anyone suggest any good "Pop Music" Arrangements.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by matty1986, Jul 6, 2009.

1. matty1986

matty1986 Member

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone out there can suggest any good arrangements of "pop music" pieces that have been done for full band??

Cheers all.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Pop Music
    good arrangements
    pieces
    band
  3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Bat Out Of Hell by Meatloaf
    Its been arranged by Steven Booth

4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I'll try not to use the B word here but have a look on this website as there are loads of pop arrangements and you can have a listen before you buy.

We recently bought Hard Rock Hallelujah (2006 Eurovision winner), Beyond The Sea (from Finding Nemo) and Les Champs-Elysee (1969's French cheese) and they all go down well with the listening public.

5. matty1986

matty1986 Member

Thanks, I've had a listen to the audio for Hard Rock - Sounds like it could go down well with Audiences. There looks like there could be a few goot pieces on there!!

Thanks!!

6. YellowTubs

YellowTubs New Member

At the risk of sounding thicker than a thick thing on a thick slice of really thick toast, what is the problem with the publisher beginning with 'B'......?

Although there are some good arrangements of stuff on that site......

7. sjs

sjs Member

At
    SJS Music

we have plenty!

You can look at the scores and listen to live recordings as well to help you to decide before you buy.

8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I've not got a problem with them whatsoever (as I said I've just bought 3 pieces off them and there's plenty more in the library) - but I'm not prepared to say the name more than three times (ala Beetlejuice) in case we envoke the wrath of the anti-B brigade (there are some on here I believe) - (add tongue in cheek smiley - if we had one)

9. Big Shiny Brass

Big Shiny Brass New Member

Well done tubafran for not using the B word.

Alan Fernie's arrangement of Ticket to Ride is an absolute stormer... does that still count as pop?!

10. YellowTubs

YellowTubs New Member

We have a fair number of pieces from them too - they always go down well - I just wondered if I was missing some joke/consumber issue/global conspiracy......

11. andyp

andyp Active Member

I think so, and it is excellent, audiences think so too.

Don't forget Darrol Barry's "Bohemian Rhapsody", superb.

The thing with the "B word" referred to is not that the subjects are bad, or the arrangements particularly, just two things, one - in order to maximise the selling potential, the rhythms have been made easier/altered to the point where they are just plain wrong, which in my view is fatal if the audience know the song -and most of them will...... and two - some of them just don't work without the words (the "Annie's Song" syndrome) - the tune itself is boring with no lyrics, and no amount of cleverness can disguise that.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Pop Music
    good arrangements
    pieces
    band
  13. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I loved 'Wake Me Up Before You Go Go' arranged by Phil Harper (Shhh - don't tell Robin Norman!! ;) ) - but if your band doesn't like jumping up and down and singing etc, then its probably not for you!

If you've got a decent flugel player then his arrangement of 'Faith' is pretty good too :)

14. Jack

Jack Member

the band i play in is currently playin "its not unusual" by tom jones and "all night long" by lionel richie, both fantastic arrangements, need a very strong front row for all night long, with a principal that likes top F's. Who wants to live forever by queens a good one aswel...

15. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Phil Harper has done a good arr of "Don't Stop Me Now".

It's on our new CD! Gonna be released soon.

www.tongwynlaisband.com

16. Red Dog Brass

Red Dog Brass Member

At the risk of self publicity - and I am getting rather good at this!

If you want a more relaxed number have a look at "Papa Can You Hear Me" on www.reddogbrass.com
    A nice relaxed number featuring Flugel.

Good luck with the search.

PS... The B word?

17. Martin

Martin Member

True Love Ways - Buddy Holly

www.mmi-music.co.uk

Hope you find what you want.:)

18. YellowTubs

YellowTubs New Member

I still like Bohemian Rhapsody, but we've also played 'Who Wants To Live Forever' also by Queen.

There are loads of arrangements of Queen stuff, I've yet to hear a duff one......

The Final Countdown always used to go down well, closest I've ever come to playing some Metal in the band, (double bass drums, nice!).

On the subject of duff ones, we played Earth Song by Michael Jackson, my God that was dire.....

19. YellowTubs

YellowTubs New Member

I can understand that. We have 'Who Wants To Live Forever', which I thinnk is a good piece, but the arrangement is straight quavers and a p**s poor drum part. When we've played it before we tended to push a pull a bit to give it shape, and I add in a bit of Roger Taylor-esque playing....... bwah ha ha ha haaaa

Mamma Mia - not sure who that one is published by (the Publisher who shall not be named... 'you-know-who'?). That really doesn't work at all, just repeats ad nauseum....... (kind of 3 minutes in....... "please kill me now.......")

20. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

And those that have recorded them with me (generally) know that my opinion is 180 degrees in the opposite direction :rolleyes: (but I'm a little biased ;) )

21. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

We're playing that at the moment, its fantastic - very good train effects :clap: Good parts throughout the band as well so good to play and listen to.

22. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Is there any Michael Jackson stuff out there? Now is the time to get it out of the library.