Can anyone Help me

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lilcornetgirl, Aug 20, 2003.

1. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

I am havin trouble i can't get a high note then go straight back down to the low one i am doin some lip slurs but it isn't workin.

Help me cas we are practising a contest piece and it just goes wrong.

lov lilmisscornetgirl

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    trouble
    anyone
    note
    lilmisscornetgirl
    contest piece
  3. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

practice lip flexibilities
    try and get hold of the 3 trumpet method books by allen vizutti
    really good stuff

4. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

I am tryin that but it dosn't seem to work

5. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Tried dropping your jaw for the lower note and/or flattening your tongue at the bottom of your mouth to create a larger cavity???

Or just practicing low notes to improve your lower register generally?

D

6. bladder

bladder Member

Try to keep all head/cornet/embouchure movement to a minimum, as physical movement is generally slow and can restrict the speed at which you 'flex'. Some( a lot ) players press harder for the higher notes, again the 'pressing' movement is involved in the 'flex' and can reduce the flexing speed and success, and also affect your stamina. It sounds to me, having not 'seen' you perform this nightmare flex, that there might be quite a bit of pressure change, from top to bottom. After pressuring your teeth down your throat, strangling your embouchure, you are then 'falling' to the low note. The change in embouchure exertion to no pressure, means that your lips + muscles are trying quickly regain their relaxed fatness. This doesn't happen quickly after being squashed to kingdom come!! I could be utterly wrong of course.
    How to fix it? Well there's no quick fix, but you can certainly reduce the pressure quickly and maybe have that passage sorted out by the contest.
    Two main things happen during a 'flex'. A change in muscular 'tension' of the embouchure and change air flow, more/less support from the diaphragm. All the work done during a flex is done by your embochure and air/diaphragm. If you do anything else, chances are you'll be hindering either of these two mechanisms. Work on changing the embouchure tension WITHOUT changing pressure, i.e. use the muscles of your face and not your arms!!( There's more on this in another thread, somewhere) Practice diaphragmatic accents and starting notes without the tongue, by 'hooo'ing. Then go thru the vizutti 'mare' flexibilities, simple ones first. It is important to have good control of these two 'spasms', you need to control when to 'spasm' and how much to 'spasm'. The duration of the flex should be as quick as possible, even when playing crotchets. When you play semi-quaver flexs, you do the same thing just more often, not any quicker. All this I'm afraid will take practice!!( Groan). Remember, don't just practice the bars you need to get right, but practice the technique behind the bars, loud, soft, high, low, etc..
    I hope some of this diatribe will be of help, and good luck with that bit at the contest!!

7. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

Can't tell what the problem is without listening to you, but try getting the note without tongueing at all. As for falling off it, try crescendoing at the end or all the way through it (within reason). Hope it works.

8. craigyboy1

craigyboy1 Member

Another excellent book is "Dr Charles Colin advanced trumpet lip Flexibilities" Don't be put off by the advanced bit as the exercises start from the very basic.
    The preface explains the importance of the tongue position and the effect of moving the jaw and embouchure via movement of the tongue. If you have never encountered this it probably sounds a bit bizzare but it is tremendously effective.
    If you don't have or can't get a hold of the book I could probably type out the page in question and send it to you when I get time. It explains the theory a lot better than I just did and should help with those problem intervals. 8) 8)

9. leisa

leisa Active Member

Try lifting the cornet bell up slightly when u go for the low note. My teacher does this with me in my lessons and it always seems to work!

10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Take your mouthpiece off your instrument...
    now, blow through it making the buzzing different pitches...
    Go as high and low as you can using the right muscles in your stomach and diapragm to help... relax more when playing the lower "notes", opening your embroucher to help and make it easier...

Once you've mastered this put the mouthpiece back in the instrument... plenty of warm air through it, and hopefully you should find a difference!

It'll take practise, but it'll be worth it..

The flexibility exercises will help as well as posted previously...

Good luck!