Can anyone give me any advice please?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nomperism, Mar 25, 2010.

1. nomperism

nomperism Member

Hey,

I've played for the same 4th Section band for 5 years now, and I have been playing the Flugel for 4 of those years. I feel that I have improved quite a lot in that time, and I may be ready for a bit more of a challenge. It may also just be pie in the sky but I would like to see how I got on.

My only problem is that I would really like to stay on the flugel if possible because it suits my sound, but obviously the flugel is a much sought after position and I'm sure if I moved onto cornet I would have more chance of moving to a higher section.

Has anyone got any ideas on how I would go about trying to play for a higher band?

Elle :-?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Section band
    pie
    bit
    anyone
    section
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I think there are things you need to find out before you consider moving on just like that.

Putting your name forward as a dep is always a good way to gain experince. I've depped at levels far higher than my week-to-week playing level. and the experience has stood me in good stead. There are plenty of bands in south yorkshire so you should be able to help out - albeit possibly not on flugel.

It also gave me the chance to more fully assess what I wanted to get out of banding. The major question when asessing a move is whether it's worth it to you, and whther you'll miss what you leave behind. Remember the atmosphere of a band is more important than the collective ability. You're going to spend a fair bit of time in each other's company, so finding folk you like to play with and be around should not be discarded. (And the fact that you;ve been with your current band 5 years suggests you get on with them faily well.)

Only you'll know whether the decision is right for you or not. In order to move up to 1st section level I had to give up being Solo Eb bass and move to 2nd BB. I was worried about whther that was right at the time, but knowing what I do now, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I've seen it go the other way too. A friend of mine moved from top man in a non-contesting band to back row in a 1st section band and the jump was too much for him. Sadly, he ended up packing in playing.

If you're enthusiastic enough about taking the opportunities you're offered, I'm sure you can find whatever you're looking for.

Good luck.

4. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Offer yourself as a dep! I can't tell you how happy that would make many band's dep fixers, and if they need a flugel dep a lot, then maybe they'd look at taking you on as a player (especially if you don't charge a lot, or at all! lol!)

5. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

oooh snap! lol!

6. nomperism

nomperism Member

Thirteen Ball: Thanks for your advice. It is something I have been umming and aarring about for over a year now. I don't really take many risks in life coz I'm always too scared of what might happen, so depping would be a good idea to start with, and I would never just leave a band without getting to know the new band first. Another reason I have played for the band so long is because my husband also plays for this band. He is definitely better than 4th section level, but he uses band as a way to relax so probably wouldn't move with me which is why it is such a big decision to make.

I have no idea if I'm even good enough to move up to 3rd section, but I can be quite confident with pieces once I have gotten to grips with them, and pieces I struggled with 4 years ago seem a lot easier.

7. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

It seems to me that testing the water through a few depping jobs would be a god thing for you then. If you feel you've moved on as far as you can in that chair, then maybe it's time to seek a fresh challenge, you never know. Or you might find out that the grass isn't greener and you'd rather be where you are.

Either way, good luck, and I hope you have fun finding out. :)

8. barrytone

barrytone Member

It's all personal choice, me and my fiance don't play in the same band, not even in the same area as it happens but we're very happy. I have played in many bands where there are families and couples, but it doesn't have to be this way. Your hubby obviously enjoys his banding as a form of relaxation, whereas it seems you want more of a challenge. I would start with the depping and see how it feels, it will certainly do your self confidence no end of good, you'll meet new people and it will broaden your horizons.

If you do decide to move, it's up to you whether you stay on flugel or move onto cornet, it's true that there's only one flugel in a band but bass trom and sop players are in the same situation and there's no reason why that one flugel player shouldn't be you.

In time, your hubby may decide he wants more of a challenge and decide to join you but it's really up to you to find out what makes you musically fulfilled. As I say, me and my other half don't play in the same section or the same area, hardly ever go to the same contests or concert venues and it doesn't affect us, we're both happy where we are and that's the most important thing to us.

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Arrange a regular blow with a higher section band and see how you get on.

10. Toxophile

Toxophile Member

I would suggest you look at some of your local higher section bands and ask them if you can go along for a blow one night. Even if there is no vacancy I think most bands would welcome you along for a few nights and as has been said before, you never know. I played for a 4th section band and then took a few years off before answering an advert in a local paper for a BB player in a second section band. It was hard work and took me a week or two to get my lip in, but I was offered the seat and found I really enjoyed the challenge.

Apart from the obvious test pieces, you might find that most of the concert music isn't that much different.