Can anybody help me?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Kaskaey, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Kaskaey

Kaskaey Member

Ive had this problem which started about two weeks ago. I have found my standard of playing going downhill and play above top C's and above. - i am reasonable comfotable with my high range and this suddenlack of capability is getting worrying as i have a concert on Saturday.

The reason, is that my lips have become sore and irritable whebn i play, they become a much deeper red and is quite painful. This reaction, im sure is nothing to do a lack of warming up before practise/taking on too much, as my practise routine hasn't changed and i do a good warm up!

One of my friends said that it was a dodgy cold sore- but i've never had a cold sore! I asked my music teacher and he thinks i have had an allergic reaction to my mouthpiece.

Here are my questions... Is this possible on a mouthpiece i have been using for 5 years? What kind of metal are mouthpieces made from? Does anyone know of any creams i can use to get my mouth back to normal? Will i have to get a new trumpet mouthpiece on top of this due to the same metal? If i am going to get a mouthpiece im gona make sure its a blimin good one! - what cornet mouthpieces do people use? :(

I would really appreciate helpon this, i am completely lost!!
  2. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Dunno what to tell you for the best, are you practicing every day? maybe you need a day off to let your lips heal a bit. Had a little trouble myself before the areas, lips went all sore and scaly and just plain useless, so I had a day or too off and smothered my chops in various creams which seemed to work. However this may not be the answer for you. Could you borrow a similar mouthpiece with different plating to see if that helps - would soon be able to determine if its the plating on your mouthpiece thats doing it. Or another idea - have you changed your toiletry brand recently? A different make of shower gel or something may have set you off.
  3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Have you been overdoing anything recently?
    If youhave a concert coming up it is very easy to play a little too much without realising that this might be detrimental to one's playing.

Either are possible - have you checked your lips carefully in the mirror?

Especially if it has had a fair amount of use in that time and some of the plating has worn thin. Is this a silver or gold plated mouthpiece?

The vast majority of mouthpieces are brass with either a silver or gold plated layer on top.
    A lot of people are allergic to brass (especially on the very sensitive skin of the lips), if the plating is thinning then the reaction to the brass can be problematic.

Haven't come across any creams that are specific for lips. If it was anywhere else then E45 would be a good recommendation, but NOT for the lips.
    Have you tried any lip balms?
    I have found that Chopsaver is fantastic for helping the lips recover from heavy playing or any other irritation of the lips. If you can't get hold of Chopsaver (it isn't in many shops yet, sadly) PM me. It has been designed by musicians for musicians and is the best stuff I have yet found.

No, it won't be essential to get a new mouthpiece. Any decent repairman should be able to replate the mouthpiece (or send it to a platers to get the job done).
    Another short term solution that has been suggested elsewhere is to coat the mouthpiece with nail varnish. Not necessarily ideal, but if this helps clear up the possible irritation between lips and brass then it could be worth trying.
    Before purchasing a new mouthpiece I would consult heavily with your teacher. Any advice you might receive on any forum is going to be based purely upon the poster's experiences of mouthpieces, not necessarily what will work for your chops - after all, we don't know you, how you sound, how you play etc.

If you are playing on a fairly standard sized mouthpiece (1C, 3C, 5C, 7C) then it might be worth taking a look at the Kelly mouthpieces. I have got a horn student who used to suffer terribly from an allergic reaction to her mouthpiece. She swapped to a Kelly about a year ago and her playing has gone from strength to strength.
  4. Kaskaey

Kaskaey Member

Haha, i had a blonde moment. brass instrument.. - brass mouthpiece! wow coincidental!

Thank you to your replies! They have helped me a lot. :clap:
  5. Beatnic

Beatnic New Member

Blistex Relief Cream is readily available from chemists and heals sore lips pretty quickly. Including cold sores, but also cracked/dry lips.

Good luck!
  6. ChopSaver. It's a lip treatment like a lip stick. Works really really well. Can get it in the UK and USA.
  7. number3

number3 New Member

Arnica cream is really good on tired lips . Contains arnica montana plant extract which helps bruises . I always use it in the weeks before big concerts /contests and it really helps my lips feel fresh each time i get my instrument out. Hope this helps
  8. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

Yeah i agree. Arnica is really good on tired lips. You can really feel it working too unlike with some lip balms for sore lips. Defo try this if you not done already :)
  9. leisa

leisa Active Member

if blistex is the one im thinking of then it s tooooonns better than arnica!! its in a little round yellow tub and it sort of freezes your lips out...its fab! completely reccommend that. either that or just rest your lips for a couple of days maybe just blowing low notes for 5 mins every now and then throughout the day! :biggrin:
  10. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

Carmex is also quite good...esp if you have cold sores (comes in yellow tube/pot) but in my opinion arnica is defo the best for tired 'after playing' lips which it seems you have....I've always used this and the majority of my band do. Give them all a try see what you like best :)
  11. pemjo

pemjo New Member

I think you need to have a good rest before saturday night. Don't play any high notes .i quite often get sore lips but find with rest that they heal. I don't use any creams. Have you had the area contest and done a lot of work ?? My sores are always in the same place, on my bottom lip and to the left on my top lip this is because I play to the side. I thought it may have something to do with the metal of the mouthpiece but it doesn't happen all the time. When we have lots of rehearsals and concerts I always have marks and sores on my lips and when we have not as much on my lips are fine. It doesn't worry me any more, just take it easy and have a few days off.