Can a top section band maintain playing standards without contests?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Statto, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

So which London bands are best? Maybe they should organise a contest....

2. jezza23361

jezza23361 Member

I would say that the ISB are the best London based band now by a distance, certainly player for player. However, some of their players come from a long way away and they are a hand picked band so not surprising really.

Jeremy

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Sounds like the bands around you are in a pretty terrible state. You can't generalise to the rest of the country from them - you're exaggerating hugely for dramatic effect.

4. protrumpet

protrumpet New Member

:clap::clap::clap:

Well said! Be careful of making positive P Andrews commens because there seems to be a strong contingent of anti-Andrews nutters on here!

5. protrumpet

protrumpet New Member

Instead of wondering why don't you have the balls to ring the man himself! Or maybe you pride yourself on making demeaning comments on here to lower section bandspeople who only want to enjoy there banding! People like you are the reason decent players are leaving bands! You and your sort make me sick!

6. Par10

Par10 Member

You could be right about the strength of the movement in other areas, however from what one reads on this forum and other scources dedicated to the movement I do not think so.

Certainly there have been bands that have dissapeared in this area over the last twenty or thirty years, some have tried the amalgamation route and still struggle for players.

Exaggerating for effect..... maybe a touch of generalisation but not so much.

7. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

.....so is that a yes or a no then?:-?

Anyway it's good to know that the source of all evil is Ms Towse, although there may be a simple biological explanation for her lack of "balls". Hope your Donna induced sickness gets better soon - P Andrews must be tearing his hair out at her "sort"

8. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

This is turning into a brawl. I know from personal experience that Donna can appear to be very abrasive, but I accept that she has her strong views on certain subjects, and she is entitled to express those views. Try not to be ‘wound-up’ by the comments posted on here. If things do get out of hand, trust the moderators to step in and smooth the troubled waters.

Barry

9. MoominDave

Well... I live in a pretty weak banding area, and play for one of the best contesting bands in that area (recently relegated to 1st section). Last rehearsal was notably poorly attended, due to holidays and illnesses - and we had 16 players. Now that would be concerning if it was ongoing, but even so it's hardly the "six or eight players most of the year" you quoted above. Other contesting bands around us are pretty similar. Up North, where there are lots more serious contesting bands and more players into banding - well, just read the other replies to you.

Come on, it's a huge exaggeration. If a band is down to 8 players, then chances are it's just about to fold.

10. MoominDave

What I see:
    1) Some people being reasonably surprised at the morality of what he's done. Some of these people taking a little unnecessary schadenfreude in it.
    2) You going completely mental bonkers loopy aggressive in the other direction.

I hope you are not Mr Andrews... That would be a shame...

11. Par10

Par10 Member

That being the case one band in this area should have folded years ago, but every year the local Uni is a scource for enough players to get the band to the Areas, this year they were promoted, yet after the Area the band is back to its small core of players.

So we get back to the statement about someone prefering to play for a lower section band that at least was a guenuine band fifty two weeks of the year and not a band in name only that manages to rummage around to get a contest band together.

12. MoominDave

The problem is that you seem to be asserting that most lower section bands are heaving with players while most serious contesting bands are close to death.

Providing an example of one band that fits your statement is no more proof of this than me saying some absurd generality that's true about one thing but not much more. For example - I can think of several bass players under 5 feet tall - but it doesn't mean that the majority of bass players are...

p.s. I did say "chances are"...

13. protrumpet

protrumpet New Member

For one I am NOT P Andrews. I do not even know him or have ever played in a band that he has been involved in.

I am just sick of reading negative comments towards hard working musicians that only want to change the movment for the better and also so called experienced bandspeople demeaning lower section players and bands. Who are you to mock these people anyway? Most of the 'top' players wouldn't dream of posting the stuff I read on here!

Maybe that is the difference between the top players and those who like to think they are top!

And btw, i am also allowed to express an opinion too! If you don't happen to like it, don't read it!

14. Par10

Par10 Member

Here is the original post that I responded to, obviously there are examples in this posters area as well, not just my area.

I have used one band as an example, the band in question has just been promoted to Section one.

I have never said that all the lower section bands in my area are stuffed full of players, but I know of more lower section bands with a reasonable membership than higher section bands, define reasonable:- you stated a reahearsal where sixteen players turned up, recently I attended a number of rehearsals with a higher section band where sixteen would have been good, by the same token I have attended rehearsals with a non contesting band where sixteen or less is thought to be grim and worthy of much comment.

Perhaps the South West area has been exeptionall affected by the demise in the movement but I can remember a time within the last twenty five years when the fourth and third sections had to be split in two sessions for the Areas and the second section was close to being treated the same. Without doing some serious research I guestimate that more than twenty bands have dissapeared in this area and a lot others are continually short of players.

15. MoominDave

A word of advice. Tone done the aggression by about 80%. You are coming across, to use a word you threw about very freely, as a "nutter", particularly given that you are new here, and we've never seen you be less hyperbolic than this.

Passionate? Great!
    Off your trolley? Not so good...

16. MoominDave

I'd be interested to know which band Stella was referring to. I read it as a deliberately hyperbolic statement, not meant to apply to any particular band, meant as validation of her position, but nothing more. Perhaps I was wrong.

Glad you were saying something less absolute than it seemed you were! It makes more sense now.

17. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Completely over the top and the comments of someone who realises his opinion is in the minority. I said I wondered what the bands opinion was, not Mr Andrews so why would i call him?
    Re priding myself on making demeaning comments on here. How do you know what i pride myself on? You know nothing about me. You seem like a very aggressive man with a poor attitude.
    Regarding decent players leaving bands because of people like me, thats a good one. I'm the player manager at my very full and progressive band. Your comments are absolutely off the wall and a little silly. Please feel free to come and speak to me in person at any contest if you "grow some balls" (which i wont be doing as i am female!). Im more than happy to discuss the matter in person.:oops:

18. damarocto

damarocto Member

:clap::clap::clap:

19. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

What he said!!!

20. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Mwah-ha-haaaa! <attempt to convey an evil laugh!>;)