Camping in Cornwall

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by manx_yessir, May 16, 2006.

1. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Me & my other half are going camping down in Cornwall for a week from 17th June. We're staying in St. Ives for 4 nights then St Austell for 4. Any suggestions of places to visit/events to go to while we're there?
  2. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

The Minack Theatre (if the weather is good). Take a blanket cos the stone seating is cold on the rear!

Eden project.

The Tate Gallery in St Ives.

The island at Porthmeor beach (St Ives) for sunsets.

3. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Cheers mate. We were already planning a trip to Eden Project. What's Flambards, by the way?
  4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

5. Di

Di Active Member

6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Sorry Di :(
  7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Other things to see in the part of Cornwall you are going to:

The Lizard
    Pendine Lighthouse
    Geevor Mining museum
    Gweek Seal Sanctuary (for the awww factor!)
    National Maritime Museum (Falmouth)
    Cycling / walking along the Camel Trail (runs from Padstow to Wadebridge)
    Goonhilly Earth Satellite station

I'll add more if and when I think of them!
    Last edited: May 16, 2006
  8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Philps bakery in hayle for the best Cornish pasty in the World (The steak one, not the normal beef). These ones don't even need any chips or gravy. Ooh, gravy...northern boys love gravy. :biggrin:
  9. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I've told you, if you put gravy on your pasty there will be a world wide band on you having them (apart from those minging excuses you get in northern bakeries)

Avoid my home town Redruth as it's not exactly "Tourist friendly"

Would definately recommend the Eden Project and Flambards is ok for a visit but not the sort of place you'd go back again and again. Would recommend Padstow for a trip, they normally have a band playing on a Wednesday night on the harbour and if you get the chance try Rick Stein's Fish and chips :tup

Definately give Newquay a go it's a good night out but also St Ives is quite good when your down that way.

Will think of some more and let you know when i see you (hopefully) on sunday
  10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

No, the pasty shop in Porthleven is best. Make sure you are there early though - their pasties are so good that they tend to have sold out by 11.30am! There's also a fabulous Ice Cream parlour there, so you can have pudding too!
  11. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

17th June!!!!!

Thats Bugle Contest Day!!! Leave home early and come & have a great day out :tup
    The Bands march down. then we compete in the open air. then we all march back up again - the lucky ones parading the trophies. An experience not to be missed - Cornwalls answer to Whit friday - well almost;)

we'll be there!
  12. steve_r

steve_r Member

I actually found out about this the other day cuz we are going to Padstow a couple of weeks b4 you.

Padstow harbour concerts
    18th June Blowzone community band
    21st june Wadebridge town band
    25th June Lanner and district.

The sunday ones are mid afternoon and again in the evening - wednesday just in the evening and the chips ARE really good.

13. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Thanks people....blimey we might have to stay for 2 weeks at this rate! :cool:
  14. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Will they play ' The Padstow Lifeboat' do you think?:p

Cheers cocker, Mine's a pint (Sally's driving!)
  15. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well if you do think of going to Newquay, call in on West Somerset on the way and I'll sell you a very nice surfboard. Ideal for beginners. :D
  16. Isn't Bugle Sunday the 18th? Correct me if I'm wrong, it's just I've seen it on another website as 18th June which is a Sunday.
  17. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Bugle is always on a Saturday
  18. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

What time to the Bugle contest start? And what time (ish) does it usually finish?
  19. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Supposedly so you'll know when all the houses will be unoccupied? :rolleyes:

Sorry scouse, couldn't resist. :biggrin:
  20. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Obviously! You know me too well ;)

You could. You just didn't want to.:( :biggrin:

I am not actually a burglar, 2nd man down likes to take the p***, as do the rest of Emley because I support the Mighty Reds. (I should start living up to my name and nick their mutes hehehe)