Came across this quote in The Independent today

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by imthemaddude, Apr 12, 2007.

1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

"A fish supper without beef dripping is like a brass band without trombones."

Was searching for something else on the net when I was directed to this quote.
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... you mean... quieter :)
  3. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Surely it means less appealing?
  4. Veri

Veri Member

Suitable for vegetarians? :rolleyes:
  5. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Suitable for vegetarians?

Not as stodgy?

(Dammit, beaten to the good one....)
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

7. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Just as well really since, um, fish supper? Vegetarian? D'oh! :tongue:
  8. Veri

Veri Member

Well, confused vegetarian - like me...I don't eat meat but I do eat fish!
  9. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

A Brass Band without trombones?
    What will the world come to next?
    Shoes for Badgers? :tongue:
  10. bigmamabadger

Hey, Badgers need gucci pumps as much as the next animal!:mad:

P.S. Vegetarians do NOT eat fish. If you eat fish you are not a vegetarian.
  11. "A fish supper without beef dripping is like a brass band without trombones."

You have to be a connoisseur to realise that it is this vital ingredient that makes the difference between the average and the sublime...

12. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Chill Badge, I was joking :biggrin:
    And yes, Dark Side, you are correct.
  13. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I love vegetarians....but I couldn't eat a whole one

and anyway don't badgers wear Benneton shoes and also feature in their advertising posters
  14. bigmamabadger

Only the sponsorship whores.
    (Benetton! Badger totters off in her 4-inch Manolo Blahniks muttering about cheap rubbish...)
  15. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Yes you are so right BMB!!!

I get fed up with the so called veggies who think it doesn`t count if they only eat chicken or have their turkey at christmas...
    Nothing wrong with being a carnivore so just enjoy it.:eek:
  16. bigmamabadger

Ah, now you see I will allow chickens. Chickens are so stupid they are in fact classed as vegetables...:rolleyes:
  17. andyp

andyp Active Member

On that basis you have to allow the pheasant - the stupidest bird in the world!!

Only the stupidest animal would run out of the way of a car, then run back in front of it just in time to get run over!
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  18. on_castors

on_castors Member

It is of far more significance than just trombones. Perhaps as great a significance as if the metal brass had not been invented at all.

Nothing to do with whether you eat meat or not either. Vegetarians? They can eat things cooked in what they like, (although how a vegetarian can include fish and still be vegetarian is another puzzle altogether!) but fish and chips do not exist as "fish & chips" unless cooked in beef dripping, simple as that. Those very same ingredients fried in vegetable oil are no more "fish & chips" than saxophones are vacuum cleaners. (Hmm... a DC14 in E flat?)

Whole generations of people do not know this, (as borne out by another current thread) and as a result, don't know what fish & chips are at all. Sad, Very sad :-(
  19. Veri

Veri Member

Well, I've always described myself as a "confused vegetarian" rather than a vegetarian per se... I don't eat any meat or gelatine or beef dripping at all. SO I'm obviously a couple of trombone players short of a brass band, even if I still have a cornet section. Or something. I think the technical term might be pescatarian...
  20. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Not doubting your obvious passion for the real thing but isn`t curry now voted national favourite food? and beef dripping sounds DISGUSTING (and i am sorry if that offends you ,its just a personal opinion. X) BMB, I love chickens they are so funny it would be too sad to eat one but I have checked out your Kiva site. Very good. XX