Cambridge International Masters

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Lauradoll, May 13, 2008.

1. TUBAWAY ARMY

TUBAWAY ARMY Member

Didn't Desford win Butlins and the Midlands area ??????

Anyway, another wonderful thread full of arguments, snide comments and loads of bitchyness !!!!!

Handbags at the ready girls !!! LMAO

2. blue steel

blue steel Member

3. Bluebander

Bluebander New Member

Nice to see the adjudicators were looking out for tempos!
    The score blatantly says that the faster variations should definitely be up to the tempos indicated - Desford's was definitely the slowest dotted crotchet = 200 variation! It was together, no doubting that - just nice to see that the adjudicators are taking note of the composer's intentions! :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  4. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

Evening all

I've not had time to read the post contest debate here yet as I have had some trouble down below. Don't worry, it's just that the people in the flat downstairs have changed the password for their wireless network.

What did people think of the results? I heard all but 19 of the bands and had Aveley and Newham well ahead.

I have only seen the top 6 results. Were there no Yorkshire bands at the contest this year?

Must go as the librarian is giving me funny looks and I want to finish my trombone practice before she throws me out.

Cheers

Bob

5. HUDDSBASSBONE

HUDDSBASSBONE Member

LoL!!

6. Well guys, having heard the majority of the performances on the web I am flabbergasted!...Yes, flabbergasted at the results! I had to go out and buy some quality headphones because i thought mine must be faulty after re checking the results......
    I note one of the adjudicators is at the English Nationals too.... Hmm...I might go just so i can laugh at the increduility of the results!

7. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

To be quite honest, even if you have the world's best computer and website for broadcasting them, it will always sound different over t'internet.

It's like everything sounds good through a closed door!!!

8. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I just come on "post contest" threads and read posts like this for a good laugh

9. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

And posts like yours give me a good chuckle too mr B. :p :p

Oh what a marvellously happy thread :D

10. Those results make a mockery of the effort of the bands. Especially those placed 6th, 12th and 18th.

11. y?

12. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

z more like - or several zzzzzzz's in my case

13. pixie

pixie New Member

18th? Deserved as far as I can see. Dynamics, anyone?!

14. Bluebander

Bluebander New Member

I don't think said adjudicator was the problem in this particular contest.

15. Have just listened to Desford & Fodens to compare. There is no comparison. All I can think is that adjudicators placed massive emphasis on balance. Fodens have so many stars that perhaps the other seats cannot match in terms of projection and sound quality. As far as technical ability, tempo, style, tuning.............!

16. sop 1

sop 1 Member

i'll agree with that! vast difference.but thats contests for you.

17. weenie

weenie Member

I've no problem with the Cambridge result and it's good to see a different band taking the spoils for a change! What I do have a problem with however is the reason some bands are placed in front of other bands (when they are clearly not in the same league) just because the conductor chose to interpret the piece in a different style.

Surely the adjudicators should be looking first and foremost at the basic quality's in a performance ie: tuning, balance, intonation, right notes, note endings, playing together, starting phrases together and of course quality sounds. If they are looking at interpretation, then you may as well just have Black Dyke on stage and make it a conductors contest with all the stick waggers taking the same band!

18. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

You have to judge both execution and interpretation.

19. weenie

weenie Member

I agree Simon, but when you judge interpretation OVER execution, it becomes a different ball game!

20. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

Here we go again.....see my post #263....and dont get into an argument with Simon...he's like a rabid dog with a bone...